pigeon
pigeon Dork
1/20/11 8:23 p.m.

I'm diving into HPDE this year finally so I need a helmet. Do I go with an entry level SA2010 model or a higher-end SA2005 model? Specifically I'm attracted to the Simpson Stingray that's a SA2005. I know a couple guys here got that helmet in Dec when Saferacer had a sale, but it seems they no longer have it. The other option would probably be a Bell Sport for about $100 cheaper but a SA2010 so I could use it for 10 years vs the 5 I could use a SA2005 helmet for. Go!

splitime
splitime Reader
1/20/11 8:57 p.m.

In reply to pigeon:

I can only offer up what I went with. SA2010. I prefer to have the extra time with the helmet... even if its lower end. Take care of it, don't sweat tons... and you'll get a nice full life out of it

Just test fitment first... thats crucial.

Zomby woof
Zomby woof Dork
1/20/11 9:23 p.m.

Snell approved is Snell approved.

Buy the newest one at the cheapest price.

motomoron
motomoron HalfDork
1/20/11 11:36 p.m.

I ended up with a closeout SA2005 Bell M4 pro when my stinky SA2000 Bieffe expired. It's light and fits great, Instructing w/ 2 students at a 2 day event means I'm wearing it like 12 hours a weekend. Plus TTs and the odd autocross means I'll probably be ready for a fresh lid in 5 years . Helmets will be made of some new kind of unobtanium before then anyway.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
1/20/11 11:46 p.m.
Zomby woof wrote: Snell approved is Snell approved. Buy the newest one at the cheapest price.

What he said, but throw comfort into the equation too.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
1/21/11 7:26 a.m.

I bought an M95 in 2000. I ran it until it expired a few weeks ago. I got an SA2005 for Christmas to replace it. Yes, a 2010 helmet would have 5 more years of eligibility, but honestly - my M95 was done 1-2 years ago. I nursed it through until the SA2005's went on clearance, but there is no way I could use the full 15 years of eligibility. The helmets just get worn out quicker than that.

pigeon
pigeon Dork
1/21/11 7:44 a.m.

Thanks all for the advice. I think I may go with the older model. My other big problem is there's nowhere local to try on helmets so I'm going to have to chance it on fit, but the SA2005 Simpson I'm looking at has multiple options for cheek and chin pads so I "should' be able to get a good fit.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
1/21/11 7:55 a.m.

I agree with the '05 if its cheap - my helmets get all dinged/banged/chipped from getting in and out of roll cages. The nomex insides gets worn out from washing it. After 3-4 years I need a new one.

BTW - make sure the liner comes out to wash it. Nothing worse than sticking your head into mold from last week's sweat.

car39
car39 Reader
1/21/11 8:27 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: BTW - make sure the liner comes out to wash it. Nothing worse than sticking your head into mold from last week's sweat.

Two words: Head sock

1/21/11 8:51 a.m.
car39 wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: BTW - make sure the liner comes out to wash it. Nothing worse than sticking your head into mold from last week's sweat.
Two words: Head sock

My car gets so hot you can burn yourself on the trans tunnel or melt your shoe soles on the floor. Nevermind the heat it gets for free from the sun beating on a black metal can with no insulation. My balaclava, helmet, suit and skivies are soaked when I get out of a car on a hot summer day after a 30 minute stint.

trucke
trucke New Reader
1/21/11 8:56 a.m.
pigeon wrote: My other big problem is there's nowhere local to try on helmets

Motorcycle shops will have helmets to try on. Motorcycle shops wil not carry SA, but you're just looking for the size to order.

ManBearSTIG
ManBearSTIG GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/21/11 9:39 a.m.

I just bought a helmet, myself. Had the same issues as you. And no place to try on half the helmets. Here is what I learned.

Bell and Pyrotech fit the same. Both are for round heads. A large fit me on the sides, but was tight front to back. XL was fine front to back but loose on the sides.

HJC and Simpson fit about the same. I think the HJC is not quite for an elongated skull, but not a full on round either. Great middle of the road. Simpson fit me awesome.

I went with a 2005 due to sale price, and the fact that I will be using mine a lot. Auto-x, and instructing at track days. I also sweat quite a bit, so figured a 5 year life is about all I should expect.

Good luck, and I hope my "research" helps a little bit.

WilberM3
WilberM3 HalfDork
1/21/11 10:15 a.m.

do you guys generally prefer open face or full face?

1/21/11 10:29 a.m.
WilberM3 wrote: do you guys generally prefer open face or full face?

Full face. Not only is it better to protect you from fire, flying debris, and your own steering wheel - it also works if you want to go karting or try some other open type car.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/21/11 11:03 a.m.

Anybody care to make a recommendation for a good inexpensive full-face helmet for a first-time HPDE'er?

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
1/21/11 11:05 a.m.

Do NOT buy a helmet if you can't try it on.

Nothing worse than a helmet you can't wait to get off your head.

I say buy whichever Snell-approved helmet is the most comfortable - doesn't matter how good it is if you won't wear it.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/21/11 12:55 p.m.

Go to a local auto cross or HPDE and ask if you can try on a helmet or three. Watch have fun take notes. A friend did this and learned alot and got the size of his helmet sorted. As a courtesy you may want to bring your own balaclava.

1/21/11 1:10 p.m.
mblommel wrote: Anybody care to make a recommendation for a good inexpensive full-face helmet for a first-time HPDE'er?

HJC AR-10 @ Soloracer SA2005 $219, SA2010 $299

ansonivan
ansonivan HalfDork
1/21/11 1:19 p.m.

Only available in small or x-small from soloracer, amazing price though.

1/21/11 1:25 p.m.
ansonivan wrote: Only available in small or x-small from soloracer, amazing price though.

The SA2010s are available in all sizes, that link goes to the SA2005 item. Click the link at the bottom.

Oh... just noticed shipping is free too over $150.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
1/21/11 3:01 p.m.

Just bought a CF SA2005 from Rbankracing via the forums, we'll see what happens. I like CF, that's what drew me to it.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
1/21/11 3:21 p.m.

DAMN. I was just going to give you a link and found that the Pyrotect Pro Airflow SA2010 I was planning on ordering for $229 is now $299.

I understand that a 2005 helmet will be good for at least 5 years, but besides price are there construction/design advantages that would point towards one or the other classification?

pigeon
pigeon Dork
1/21/11 3:43 p.m.

I ordered the Simpson Stingray in white from raceimage.com - found it though the post on used race suits but it's brand new stock. It retailed for $499+ but they have them for about $350 - not bad for a 3 pound CF helmet IMO. It should show up next week and I'll give a review then.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
1/21/11 4:40 p.m.

^ Same here, except I bought the Zero9 AKR off a post here for 300$. It's my first full face racing helmet, every other one has been old motorcycle helmets. I like the fact that it's 300$, and if it doesn't fit, I can get the next size up for free. According to their measurements, They say the XL will fit up to a 62cm head, and my halfassed measurements put me at a 59cm head, so I should be ok.... pending comfort.

http://zeronineracing.com/akr.htm

KartRacerDad
KartRacerDad New Reader
1/21/11 7:24 p.m.

OG Racing has SA2005 HJC AR10's for $225 and SA2010 for $300 with free shipping. I'm buying a white SA2010 next week.

http://www.ogracing.com/catalog/1-Driver/24-Helmets/267-HJC-AUTO-RACING-HELMETS-SA2005/268-Helmets

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yXgAozAC2vmPgKFpqYvx2Hx7hJAcbPODGarp8oEHpoiNQeEyAFfVQ16SennOFvmd