dyintorace
dyintorace Dork
11/9/09 8:50 a.m.

I am in the market for a new helmet and found a screaming deal on a new Simpson Stingray.

Does anyone have any experience with this helmet? Likes? Dislikes?

Thanks!

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition New Reader
11/19/09 11:12 a.m.

In reply to dyintorace:

So did you order one? Happy with it? Does the sizing work OK?

I'm considering one, too...

jimbbski
jimbbski New Reader
11/19/09 11:28 a.m.

The question is what do you plan on using it for? As a motorcycle helmet or for auto racing type activities? There are "M" and "SA" helmets. M helmets usually are cheaper and some racing organizations will not accept them for open track events and no organization that I know of will accept then for any type of actual auto racing. As it may be obvious the M stands for motorcycle and the SA for "Special Application", in other words, racing

dyintorace
dyintorace Dork
11/19/09 11:52 a.m.
Basil Exposition wrote: In reply to dyintorace: So did you order one? Happy with it? Does the sizing work OK? I'm considering one, too...

I have not ordered one yet, but I am still seriously considering it. I just wish I lived somewhere with a race shop in town. It would be nice to try on various helmets before taking the plunge.

jimbbski wrote: The question is what do you plan on using it for? As a motorcycle helmet or for auto racing type activities? There are "M" and "SA" helmets. M helmets usually are cheaper and some racing organizations will not accept them for open track events and no organization that I know of will accept then for any type of actual auto racing. As it may be obvious the M stands for motorcycle and the SA for "Special Application", in other words, racing

I am looking for a helmet for racing activities: HPDE, auto-x, NASA TT, etc. So an "SA" in other words.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition New Reader
12/15/09 10:19 a.m.

Saferacer has an extra deal today. Enter Dec15 for a coupon code and get 15% off anything you ordered.

I ordered one of these helmets and it came to about $255. Plus I needed some new nomex socks :).

Free shipping, too!

Can't beat that with a stick...

Kramer
Kramer HalfDork
12/15/09 1:40 p.m.

While Simpson still makes some of the best safety gear in the industry, I don't really care for the way the corporation treated Bill Simpson in the wake of Dale Earnhardt's death. Therefore, when I'm in the market (read: can afford to really go racing) for a new helmet and suit, I'll take a serious look at the Impact Racing line over the Simpson line.

I met my wife at Bill Simpson's restaurant (back when he owned Flat Top Johnnie's) in Indy. I also saw him there a few other times. Anyone who will set themselves on fire to prove their products' worthiness must stand behind his gear.

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
12/15/09 4:43 p.m.

$254.99 for an HJC AR-10 + free shipping? Sweeeet...

Any idea how long the coupon code is good for? I won't be able to buy it now, but once I get my X-mas monies I will!

dyintorace
dyintorace Dork
12/15/09 9:20 p.m.
Basil Exposition wrote: Saferacer has an extra deal today. Enter Dec15 for a coupon code and get 15% off anything you ordered. I ordered one of these helmets and it came to about $255. Plus I needed some new nomex socks :). Free shipping, too! Can't beat that with a stick...

Wow. Thanks very much for sharing this. Because of the additional discount, I took the plunge just now. Ordered the Stingray as well as a HANS. 2010 will be the year I get back on the track!!!

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
12/15/09 9:25 p.m.
dyintorace wrote:
Basil Exposition wrote: Saferacer has an extra deal today. Enter Dec15 for a coupon code and get 15% off anything you ordered. I ordered one of these helmets and it came to about $255. Plus I needed some new nomex socks :). Free shipping, too! Can't beat that with a stick...
Wow. Thanks very much for sharing this. Because of the additional discount, I took the plunge just now. Ordered the Stingray as well as a HANS. 2010 will be the year I get back on the track!!!

dyintorace
dyintorace Dork
12/15/09 9:30 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote:

You need one too...

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition New Reader
12/15/09 11:13 p.m.
RexSeven wrote: $254.99 for an HJC AR-10 + free shipping? Sweeeet... Any idea how long the coupon code is good for? I won't be able to buy it now, but once I get my X-mas monies I will!

Good for today only, unfortunately. I wouldn't be surprised if they do a repeat before year-end, though. Subscribe to their updates and they'll send you emails with specials. I pulled the trigger on the Stingray 'cause I was afraid they would run out of my size!

Dang, I should have thought of the HANS, it is rare to see a discount on them and it is a big ticket item.

dyintorace
dyintorace Dork
12/16/09 8:26 a.m.
Basil Exposition wrote:
RexSeven wrote: $254.99 for an HJC AR-10 + free shipping? Sweeeet... Any idea how long the coupon code is good for? I won't be able to buy it now, but once I get my X-mas monies I will!
Good for today only, unfortunately. I wouldn't be surprised if they do a repeat before year-end, though. Subscribe to their updates and they'll send you emails with specials. I pulled the trigger on the Stingray 'cause I was afraid they would run out of my size! Dang, I should have thought of the HANS, it is rare to see a discount on them and it is a big ticket item.

Yep...the 15% applied to the HANS as well. I was happy to see that, especially given that the HANS page specifically mentions that no discounts apply to these products.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t HalfDork
12/16/09 2:10 p.m.

Guys: If you are looking at HANS devices, be sure they include the tethers.

In some case, when you see a sale price on a HANS, it does not include the tethers.

I kinda think this is deceptive to be offering one without the tethers, but some dealers are selling them this way.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition New Reader
12/17/09 6:41 a.m.

In reply to RexSeven:

Update: The Dec15 coupon code is actually good through December 23rd! Sorry, had it wrong before.

dyintorace
dyintorace Dork
12/17/09 8:40 a.m.
aeronca65t wrote: Guys: If you are looking at HANS devices, be sure they include the tethers. In some case, when you see a sale price on a HANS, it does not include the tethers. I kinda think this is deceptive to be offering one without the tethers, but some dealers are selling them this way.

Very good point. The advertised price on the HANS (I went with the entry level "Sport") went up once I added the tethers.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition New Reader
12/18/09 6:35 p.m.

I got my Simpson Stingray today!

Looks like a great helmet! Fits me well and I like the fact that the lining is removable and it comes with extra cheek pads. It also has some sort of neck shield, but I can't figure out how it goes on. I don't think it is something I need.

The helmet weighs 3lbs. 2 oz by my digital postal scale. That's exactly 8 oz (a half pound!) lighter than my old Bell M2. A half pound is huge when it is sitting on your neck and subject to G forces. It seems like it is very well made. My Bell M2 was an entry level helmet and crap started falling off it as soon as it came out of the box. For a bit less than what the Bell cost the Simpson is a HUGE improvement.

pigeon
pigeon Dork
1/21/11 7:43 a.m.

Zombie thread alert! Bringing this back from the dead for reviews of the Simpson Stingray since I'm looking at grabbing one in the next week but have no place to try it on beforehand.

dyintorace
dyintorace SuperDork
1/21/11 8:40 a.m.

I ended up using mine a few times in 2010. Not as many as i would have liked () but still have a few days with it now. The short review is that I like it a lot. It's light, fits well and offers good vision. Initially it didn't seem to fit well because it brushed my chin annoyingly. I finally figured out that the optional "chin flap" was already installed and I hated it! Once that came out, it was great!

pigeon
pigeon Dork
1/26/11 7:31 p.m.
dyintorace wrote: I ended up using mine a few times in 2010. Not as many as i would have liked () but still have a few days with it now. The short review is that I like it a lot. It's light, fits well and offers good vision. Initially it didn't seem to fit well because it brushed my chin annoyingly. I finally figured out that the optional "chin flap" was already installed and I hated it! Once that came out, it was great!

Mine arrived today, and I think it's got the chin flap installed, which brushes my chin annoyingly. How is it removed? There doesn't seem to be anything obvious like snaps or velcro such as hold the main liner and cheek pads.

dyintorace
dyintorace SuperDork
1/26/11 9:11 p.m.
pigeon wrote: Mine arrived today, and I think it's got the chin flap installed, which brushes my chin annoyingly. How is it removed? There doesn't seem to be anything obvious like snaps or velcro such as hold the main liner and cheek pads.

That's exactly the issue I had when I first received the helmet. The chin flap brushed my chin and it drove me up the wall. I feared I would have to return the helmet until I realized it was removable.

To do so, you basically just have to pull it in a downward motion. There is nothing holding it in, just 3 stiff plastic "tabs": one along the front edge and one along each side edge. Let me know if you need more info.

Our Preferred Partners
CZWhs4ye4FKESTGIghxl8zyVixtwA60ilEdxtn0Rdxer3KsiYnqLCyBV2FBoDHYa