LarsBrunkhorst
LarsBrunkhorst New Reader
4/5/21 10:00 a.m.

Question for the people smarter than me... I recently picked up an e46 m3 and have been doing all the little maintenance that comes with 20 year old car with higher miles.

Now I know the s54 is known for being somewhat of a loud engine to begin with, and valve noise is common, but what I am having trouble with is trying to decide if what I am hearing is the valves being way out of spec and needing to be adjusted, or if that's just the way they normally sound. I had another m3 years ago and I recall it sounding different than this current one, but I could be wrong and time has just warped my perception.

I have a kit coming to adjust if need be, but I cant seem to find a video or a good post calling out the difference in good vs bad noise...

Anyone able to point me in the right direction? or is there a way to somewhat check without actually taking everything apart first?

Cheers

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
4/5/21 10:19 a.m.

Too many variables. If the valves are in an unknown state tracking noise is meaningless. You need to check and adjust the valves to get them in spec first. If there are untoward noises after that, start listening with a stethoscope to see if you can narrow it down.

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
4/5/21 10:23 a.m.

Adjustable valves are set by measuring the clearance, not by the noise they make.

After Adjusting the valves you will then know what it will sound like. (if you adjust them correctly)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VQXH4mt9kez2pQjJDg4u2FIIwIgqquSgOKJGaTR4cb7qdh6JYYX30mJ56XeI19Io