jmthunderbirdturbo HalfDork
7/13/20 12:53 a.m.

Yep, motor home again. I swear you fix one thing...

1996 E-Superduty chassis, 14050 GVW, 7.5L(460), E4OD

Anyway, when I bought this MH I knew it had a non H-pipe duel setup, that looks like it was put together either in a hurry, or by a moron. There is (was) like 5 clamps on the one side that were all loose, several broken or missing hangars, and it just sounds awful. Plus, the Flowmasters are falling apart, and one is (was) hitting the driveshaft. Turns out, the PO had the trans rebuilt, and they played hell getting the factory Y-Pipe off, and ruined it. So, they built a true dual setup, with no crossover pipe. My issue with that is that the 02 sensor only samples half the motor, which is fine if everything else is, but I don't like it. My other issue is one of the pipes lets out right where you stand to dump the Gray/Black tanks, so unless you shut the motor off and let the family bake in the heat while you dump (which can take as much as 30 minutes), you get to huff exhaust while you dump turds. So I'd like to return the exhaust back to the factory setup. This presents a few issues, not the least of which is, I have no idea what it used to look like. I can tell it was Y-piped because there's only heat shield and factory hangars on one side, but that's as far as I can tell. Walker and PI exhaust do not even list a Y-pipe for this, both show it "Not Available". The ford catalog shows two different ones, on that is two pipes that feed into a dual-in single out style catalytic converter via a rectangular flange, the other a regular Y-pipe. Both are over $600, neither appear available. 

My ideal solution is someone on here goes: "Hey I just pulled one of those motors and im not going to use the Y-pipe, whats your address?"

Short of that, what do I do here? I can't afford a shop to build one, and I couldn't get it there anyway, cause it is now open manifold. I took it all out assuming I could just buy a Y-pipe from Walker and do the rest myself. I have done several exhausts before. Building a Y-pipe from scratch though is a bit of a challenge.

Does anyone know where i could get a Y-pipe for a 94-96 ford 460?


volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter)
volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/13/20 6:29 a.m.

I have an old Y pipe from a 460, but it's fromt the earlier carbureted (80's vintage) one.  Not sure if it's the same.  If it is, I'd give it to you, though OH is a bit of a trek from when I'm at.  Might be able to ship it?

I'd check CL or FB MP and see if anyone's selling an old motorhome 460.  And call them and ask if they have the y pipe.  Alternatively go on and search for a JY that has one.

jmthunderbirdturbo HalfDork
7/13/20 10:11 p.m.

i appreciate that, but it actually has to be 94-96 i think. i have weighed my options, and im just going to spend my way out of this one. dropping it off at a shop for a full custom exhaust tomorrow. 


this is going to hurt...



Our Preferred Partners