1 2 3 4
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/29/22 7:48 p.m.
nocones said:

Why isn't it in your driveway yet?

Well, if any of you have never had a tech week at a theater, it might help to google the 16 hour days that are my life right now.

11/3/22 7:38 a.m.

Going to look at the cars some time this week.

Looks like the corolla is my huckleberry if it's not rusted to dirt.

Now I'm doing that thing where I'm researching engine swaps that come with a bolt-in manual that could be fun.  First thought was mechanical-pumped OM606, but they're not really cheap and they come with a few (awful) MB manual options.

2JZ is an obvious option, but I was never a fan of the Aisin W58 manual behind them.  S50/52 come to mind.  They could at least bolt up to a ZF that kinda rules.  VQ35/FS6?

I mean, the obvious LS is staring me in the face, but I think this would deserve a lightweight 6 with a turbo

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
11/3/22 8:49 a.m.
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

"It's sketchy" --- the builder.

Ya don't say.  A flexy flyer wagon with no cage and the structural integrity of damp cardboard pushing 700 hp.  They were definitely brave.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/3/22 8:58 a.m.

The toyota should get a rotary, because reasons.

11/3/22 9:04 a.m.

I wish there were some diesels in challenge budget.  VM Motori 2.5L or OM606 would work, but then I'll want to spend money on adapting a transmission that doesn't suck.

I like the rotary idea for someone else.  That is, I would love to see it, but I wouldn't want to own anything with apex seals.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/3/22 9:17 a.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

What about a VW diesel? A GRM member is putting one in his w116.

11/3/22 9:20 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Easy adaptability to GM transmissions.  Worth a look.

How expensive are they to modify?  I thought about a TDI for my Branger but to get enough torque I would have had to turn it up to 11.

11/3/22 9:30 a.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

I like the rotary idea for someone else.  That is, I would love to see it, but I wouldn't want to own anything with apex seals.

Exactly why I recommended it! laugh

yupididit
11/3/22 9:41 a.m.

I have no idea but you wouldn't need much power to really get that Rolla going!

11/3/22 9:51 a.m.

This is what pisses me off about PA.  I can get classic or antique tags for it which gets me around the emissions testing, but....

USE OF ANTIQUE, CLASSIC AND VINTAGE REGISTRATION PLATES The use of antique, classic and vintage registration plates is governed by Section 1340 of the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code, which states: “It is unlawful for any person to operate a motorcycle or vehicle with antique, classic, vintage, collectible or historic military vehicle registration plates for general daily transportation. Permitted use shall be limited to participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, occasional transportation and similar uses.” Occasional transportation and similar uses are defined as no more than one day a week. Antique, Classic, and Vintage registration plates may not be displayed on a vehicle used to transport people or property

11/3/22 10:13 a.m.

I have driven around on both MD street rod plates and PA classic plates quite a bit and never an issue. If you have some shiny happy local po po it could be a problem, but in my experience you can use it a lot before issues. "Test drive" and "taking it to the shop" are always good reasons to use a classic cool

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/3/22 10:35 a.m.

Tdi modifications, injector nozzles, reflash and a much stronger clutch. (Upgraded VR6 disc with a G60 flywheel and pressure plate is the usual recipe, switching to a single mass flywheel is always a bonus as well). That will yield and hold torque figures that will meet or exceed 300 ft lb 

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
11/3/22 12:25 p.m.

Why not do something weird like a built 3TC or turbo 3TC? It would keep the car light and they can be done on a budget.

11/3/22 5:00 p.m.

The VW to T5 bellhousing is money. I would use a zinger gas engine.. or a 13b as long as you live outside of earshot.

11/3/22 11:23 p.m.
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

Tdi modifications, injector nozzles, reflash and a much stronger clutch. (Upgraded VR6 disc with a G60 flywheel and pressure plate is the usual recipe, switching to a single mass flywheel is always a bonus as well). That will yield and hold torque figures that will meet or exceed 300 ft lb 

How is it you know everything?  You rock.

11/3/22 11:27 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

Why not do something weird like a built 3TC or turbo 3TC? It would keep the car light and they can be done on a budget.

I'm listening.  I build lead sleds, so Japanese stuff is not my bag.  Sell me on it.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
11/4/22 12:04 a.m.

So from my limited memory banks; I believe you can get near 2 liters from a 3TC. Port the head, make up a manifold to fit motorcyle carbs (I use them on my Datsun), cam headers and done. In full race trim they'll put out 200 at the wheels (not street friendly at that point). At the 160-170hp mark still streetable. They are also light; at around 200lbs

Or

Turbo charge it; I believe one of the Toyota diesel turbo set ups are what people were using on 3TCs.....from memory 300hp was common.

11/4/22 1:38 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

Hmmm... food for thought.  Light weight a whole new world for me.  Certainly lighter than an OM606

yupididit
11/4/22 2:09 p.m.

Can an inline 6 fit in there? I'd imagine the 2jz and om606 are close in dimension.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
11/4/22 2:18 p.m.

So if you can get up to 150hp at the wheels it should run a 14 second 1/4 mile.............not exactly earth shattering but given the 2000-2100lbs they weigh it would be fun to flog. Lower it slightly put on some sway bars and decent shocks and it would probably be fun as hell.  

I want a Datsun 1200 wagon (cuz I have parts to make one fun); it would make the trip to the hardware store really entertaining. 

11/4/22 4:14 p.m.
yupididit said:

Can an inline 6 fit in there? I'd imagine the 2jz and om606 are close in dimension.

Hopefully going to look at it Sunday.  I'll take a tape measure.  I know they only came with a 4-pot ranging from 1.3L to 1.8L so likely not engineered to fit any Toyota 6, but that's why God invented the reciprocating saw.

11/4/22 4:16 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

So if you can get up to 150hp at the wheels it should run a 14 second 1/4 mile.............not exactly earth shattering but given the 2000-2100lbs they weigh it would be fun to flog. Lower it slightly put on some sway bars and decent shocks and it would probably be fun as hell.  

I want a Datsun 1200 wagon (cuz I have parts to make one fun); it would make the trip to the hardware store really entertaining. 

I was hoping for more, but I also (for challenge budget reasons) don't want to overwhelm whatever third member is in there.  The video link with the 800hp 'rolla showed a swapped-in 8.8" Explorer axle which isn't expensive, but I think the budget could be used wiser elsewhere.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
11/4/22 4:20 p.m.

The challenge budget does limit things; but you could just crank the boost till the rods fly.............or not. Besides the tires will likely be small enough that the rear end will survive.

11/4/22 4:26 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

Well... they won't be that skinny til I'm done with it.  I'm thinking some junkyard conversion van flares and 275mm stickies to match the torched coils and monster [insert junkyard donor here] sway bars.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
11/4/22 7:11 p.m.

This sounds very GRM.........I approve wholeheartedly.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iFSIwHNM2K9LrQVQuA6RhzprkjStdfKYxXAsEo4Dgw1qHKOeurqarsvDGIZyqLWN