1 2 3
NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
3/3/20 5:00 p.m.
ebelements said:

Because I love the insanity of the Mk1 Golf rebodied 928, I'd like to see some other econocar widened and stretched over top of vette running gear. 

This would be even more cooler if you started with an MGB GT

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports Reader
3/3/20 5:40 p.m.

Yeah, loving the truck ratrod.

The project at the top of my list as soon as my new shop is settled is a 49 Willys Pickup Ratrod that will be on a 5.0 AWD Explorer chassis, since I have the parts and need to clear out the explorer and the cab.  :)

How about we have a dualing Willys Pickup build-off???   lol    Because I have TWO of these cabs.

For some related pics..

btw, this last pic is my kind of guy, with too many cars he must stack them on the roof..   lol

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
3/3/20 5:48 p.m.

I was seriously considering starting with a truck cab and building everything else. That second one, chopped, is very much what I had in mind. One thing I read though is how leg room in many of those old trucks was near-nonexistent if you were much over 5-ft tall.

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports Reader
3/3/20 5:51 p.m.
kb58 said:

I was seriously considering starting with a truck cab and building everything else. That second one, chopped, is very much what I had in mind. One thing I read though is how leg room in many of those old trucks was near-nonexistent if you were much over 5-ft tall.

Yeah I agree about that, so I was thinking of stretching the cab.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
3/3/20 6:19 p.m.

Why bother with corvette suspensioned farm truck? Why bother with any of this? WHY BOTHER WITH ANY OF THIS?!? 

BECAUSE THIS IS GRASSROOTS MORONTORSPORTS FOR FOOKS SAKE.

I like idea #1 and I am guessing that is why it was idea #1.

Cool truck or rock crawler with corvette E36 M3. Boom.

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
3/4/20 10:52 a.m.

There's always this, but it's right back in the "wind-beaten-frozen-baked" camp.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
3/4/20 11:33 a.m.

Some cars introduced 1975 or earlier, with a wheelbase within 1 inch of a Corvette C4 (96.2 inches):

AMC Gremlin
Ford Mustang II
Buick Skyhawk
Chevrolet Vega

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
3/4/20 1:56 p.m.

The Corvette type I'm considering is the one with the rear-mounted transaxle. As best I can find, they have a 104-107" wheelbase.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/4/20 2:25 p.m.

How about going with a car that had a transaxle as standard equipment? The Tempest.

mainlandboy
mainlandboy Reader
3/4/20 2:26 p.m.

Disclaimer that I am heavily biased, but I am building a scratch built car using a Miata roller skate, which loosely resembles an early 30’s 2-door sedan. You could easily up the ante and do something similar using a Corvette roller skate. Some pics of my build:

Or, if you like working with wood, how about something like these:

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
3/4/20 4:25 p.m.

My buddy at work, after hearing my dilemma, said, "Okay, I have the vehicle—and no matter what you come up with, it'll never beat this."

Alas, he's right, but it won's pass smog frown

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
3/4/20 4:30 p.m.

In reply to Kreb :

That's a nice looking car, but though I haven't checked, I imagine that they're probably as expensive as most cars of that type from the era. Then there's me being drawn and quartered for altering it.

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
3/4/20 4:32 p.m.

In reply to mainlandboy :

That may be what happens; instead of saving time but spending money with Corvette running gear and suspension plus a classic car body, compromise and use the Corvette rollerskate as a base and go from there, full custom.

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
3/4/20 4:41 p.m.

This has a certain draw, as long as it's kept rather stock looking, Volvo 240 sedan:

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
3/4/20 4:45 p.m.

My brother suggested a Dodge Dart Swinger. Dad had one and it absolutely guaranteed that girls stayed away. Dad was pretty clever that way. Anyway, it's got the very unassuming look which could be fun. And yes, I'm all over the place.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/4/20 5:09 p.m.
kb58 said:

In reply to Kreb :

That's a nice looking car, but though I haven't checked, I imagine that they're probably as expensive as most cars of that type from the era. Then there's me being drawn and quartered for altering it.

They're not so bad price or weight-wise, but they are long with a pronounced rear overhang. 

Whatever it is, you've got to like looking at it. There's going to be those evenings where you're tired and the television sings its siren song. It's a lot easier to head out to your mistress in the garage if she's a looker. 

The modern Vette rollerskate is mighty wide by older car standards. How big are the flares going to have to be, and will they compliment the car or not?

Go like the crazy swedes and build a PV544! The wheelbase is right. 

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/4/20 5:32 p.m.
kb58 said:

The Corvette type I'm considering is the one with the rear-mounted transaxle. As best I can find, they have a 104-107" wheelbase.

That's a C5 or later

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
3/14/20 1:40 p.m.
nimblemotorsports said:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/d/palo-alto-1969-chevrolet-corvair/7081793389.html

$2750  runs and drives, so you can sell the drivetrain and get most of the price back.

Or heck, I would probably let my project go.  You can't beat the Patina on my 67

Attention, nimblemotorsports, how do I contact you? Your contact address through this site is no good. I also tried contacting you through your website, but that fails as well.

Thanks

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
3/14/20 1:47 p.m.

Something like This:

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
3/14/20 1:54 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

That's very nice, combining several ideas into one. I do think though the massive unfendered front tires would shoot rocks and sand into the body, paint, windshield, and maybe even the engine.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
3/14/20 1:59 p.m.

In reply to kb58 :

It'd be worth it.  There's a lot of win going on in that pic.  I think it started off life as a circle track Modified.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/14/20 10:55 p.m.

I say if you go post 75 go Alfa. Milano or GTV6/Alfetta. I see them cheap when they are neglected. The parts that crap out would all be replaced anyway with your plan. Or even better a 1964ish Jaguar MK2 sedan. Expensive in museum quality But not crazy with beat motor and interiors in NorCal. Maybe not a ton of them on clist but I see one every so many months. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/14/20 11:24 p.m.

I have wanted to do this to one of these for a long time. 

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports Reader
3/14/20 11:51 p.m.

In reply to kb58 :

Interesting, all the other forums I'm on have a way to message on the forum.    my direct email is jack at my domain which is the same as my forum name dot com.

So while back on this topic, here is my current thought on my 49 Willys Cab build, make it into a Willys Coupe that doesn't exist instead.  This evolved from an extended cab.. I always get too ambitious for my own good.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/15/20 10:00 a.m.

Last generation falcons can be found cheapish. There was a sub $1K two door locally for months.

Maverick?

Maybe a wagon to haul race tires.

Ok, I'm clearly partial to the wagon. I'm going to stop now.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KOkpWxrOZ1b6rxU90xexVHNN1Wb79TL2a5N7WN4sJiTxSchGD6w2lOAj3GUiefgr