Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Reader
10/25/09 6:10 p.m.

Hey guys,

I am about to buy a 74 Mazda RX-4 hardtop that is on Long Island. I am in Massachusetts though. I went to see the car a couple of weeks ago,and I took the ferry from New London,CT to Orient Point,NY,and then drove an hour to see the car. On my way back I took the Port Jefferson,NY ferry to Bridgeport as the Orient Point ferry was booked up in the afternoon. This all worked out great,but was expensive. I was thinking of maybe just driving in my van,or friends diesel pick up to Bridgeport,CT with said friends trailer,and then take the ferry on foot to Port Jeff,have the seller pick me up,or meet me there,and drive the car on t the ferry back over to CT. I could then trailer it from there,or if I don't get the trailer I could just drive the car home.

The only issue with any of these plans is that the seller is including a spare 13B in the sale which I would really love to have. I am not sure I can get it in the trunk easy,and even if I did I am not sure I want that big lump rolling around in there on a drive home,or on the trailer.

I could go over on the ferry in my van,or wife's van,and get the engine,but then I am paying over $100 round trip for that vehicle,and $50+ to get the RX-4 back. I guess I could also drive around the city,and avoid the ferries,but I like the ferry trip a lot. Any input would be appreciated.

Chris

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
10/25/09 6:21 p.m.

Trailer behind van. Drive around city to avoid excess charges. Put Mazda on trailer. Put extra rotary potato in front of Mazda on trailer, tied down or in van. Drive home avoiding excess charges. Seems pretty straight forward to me. Or suck it up and pay the extra money and save some time.

tr8todd
tr8todd New Reader
10/25/09 6:32 p.m.

Have your wife drop you off at the ferry and then drive the car home. I'm sure your friend has better things to do with a Saturday then to help you pick up a ratted out car you shouldn't be buying anyway. Isn't this a perfect example of why we marry them in the first place.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 Reader
10/25/09 9:15 p.m.

Funny Todd!!!! This is said friend by the way.

It doesn't have to be on a Saturday by the way. I can go during the week if that is better.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9sfI1qcfPdxNwDIfhu2XAj7f3O3ONYkjqJ3IvknAyBiGhVGWnEHtbvThsIJyJ6wO