alex
alex UberDork
6/12/15 5:19 p.m.

I feel like what I'm looking for can't be that uncommon, but I'm having a hell of a time finding it.

I need a door handle that locks, with a key that operates both sides of the lock. Ideally a matching pair of handles, because I have two doors in the same hallway to do, and having them keyed alike would be excellent. So, two door handles, 4 keyed locks.

My shop and the adjacent bar share a hallway, and we both need access to it, and occasionally to each others' places, but we both also need to keep our respective customers out.

These are standard interior fire doors, and I don't need anything super heavy duty. I also have no preference on a lever or knob. A pair of double-keyed deadbolts would do the job, but if I don't have to drill more holes in the doors, that'd be my preference.

My local big boxes are failing me, and I don't know handle/lock terminology well enough to find these on Amazon.

Wait, McMaster-Carr maybe?

Or will I have to go to a real locksmith for this?

trucke
trucke HalfDork
6/12/15 5:25 p.m.

Have you tried Schlage.com?

alex
alex UberDork
6/12/15 5:25 p.m.

Ah crap, wrong subforum. I need an adult!

alex
alex UberDork
6/12/15 5:27 p.m.
trucke wrote: Have you tried Schlage.com?

Ooh, good call. Heading there now.

Struck out with McMaster, btw. Anyway their stuff is commercial grade and way pricier than I need.

trucke
trucke HalfDork
6/12/15 5:29 p.m.
alex wrote: Ah crap, wrong subforum. I need an adult!

You won't find any adults here.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/12/15 6:42 p.m.

You aren't trapped in a Vette, are you?

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/12/15 6:45 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

It's on the floor next to the seat. Read the manual!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/12/15 8:09 p.m.

I think I bought some Schlage door knobs last year that you could rekey yourself with a special little tool. They weren't real expensive either

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
6/12/15 8:36 p.m.

I believe that may be called the institutional lock style door knob. A quick google search for that turned up several results that match your description.

dimarra
dimarra Dork
6/12/15 8:53 p.m.

What you're looking for is rather expensive.

A standard hallway lever set (no locks) and a double-sided deadbolt you mentioned are much more GRM. (You can probably buy a drilling guide for the deadbolt cheaper than the special locksets you're looking for.)

The downside is access from one side via the screws holding the works together. ...Red Loctite? ...destroy the screw heads?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/13/15 6:27 a.m.

Make sure you are not going to be in violation of any codes by limiting / eliminating emergency egress.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/13/15 7:56 a.m.

Yeah, Dean's right. Be careful about egress and fire walls. You may also be dealing with ADA accessibility laws.

You are looking for commercial locksets. You need a commercial hardware supplier.

But you also said "fire door" and "common hallway". This raises red flags.

First off, there are 2 "standard" doors. Residential backset is 2 3/8", commercial is 2 3/4". The backset is the distance from the edge of the door to the centerline of the bore for the lockset. You could have either in a small commercial space.

The bores (dia of the hole for the lockset) vary too.

You are getting tripped up with your terminology. Don't ask for a "door handle", or a "lock", or a "knob". You will only find resdential suppliers (or worse, Corvette door handles OMG!).

You are looking for a commercial double cylinder lockset, or knobset. Probably lever handle (for ADA).

They are not cheap. Probably $80- 150 ea.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
6/13/15 9:01 a.m.

I came here to discuss the death of a dog but not man due to the lack of egress because of a handle or was it a lever.

Seriously. Svrex nails it. It is pretty easy to get lockset specing wrong.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UberDork
6/13/15 9:10 a.m.

When I still lived in NJ, the local ACE hardware store was really good for stuff like this. They didn't keep that kind of stuff in stock, but the old timers behind the counter knew every single item in the catalog, and could have it for you in a couple of days , if it wasn't what you wanted they would just send it back, and try again.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/13/15 9:48 a.m.

BTW, if you buy the proper commercial lockset, they are also a PITA to install.

It's not that they are hard- anyone could probably do it if they had the patience and spent the time. But there are always specialty clips, releases, tools, etc. I used to do pretty well JUST installing commercial hardware, because professional carpenters don't know how.

I can do one in a couple minutes. I think it took me well over an hour to do my first one (and I'm a pro).

Most guys just don't have the patience.

It's like adjusting the rear brakes on a Miata. Anyone could do it, but no one knows the secret handshake.

Here's a trick- if you live in a metrpolitan area, there are probably a few commercial construction companies or industrial maintenance companies that could do it as a service call. Yeah, it seems silly to hire a pro for stuff like this. But those guys buy the parts at wholesale, and sometimes the cost of a quick service call is no more than you buying the parts yourself. Could save you an afternoon.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ini40cu9qk1EHbpLqucKhFHi9FsGokhr6GEuXVPfxP87HhY2TDgZniYhKh4gS9cA