1 2 3
captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/8/15 8:27 a.m.

I'd contact Team O'Neil and see what cars they're getting ready to retire or have recently retired. Most of the time the cars aren't as bad as you would expect, but are retired due to parts availability when attempting to service 8+ examples of them, see Audi 5000.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/8/15 10:03 a.m.
captdownshift wrote: I'd contact Team O'Neil and see what cars they're getting ready to retire or have recently retired. Most of the time the cars aren't as bad as you would expect, but are retired due to parts availability when attempting to service 8+ examples of them, see Audi 5000.

Ha! Tim is actually my sister's neighbor. His cars tend to be a little worn in though...

Woody
1/8/15 10:04 a.m.

We may have found a winner. Stay tuned...

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
1/8/15 10:06 a.m.

In reply to crxmike:

Wow, entry fee for our ice races is just $50 for 3/ 20min heats.

Or, $20 for 20 minutes under track day rules.

Woody
1/8/15 10:28 a.m.
iceracer wrote: In reply to crxmike: Wow, entry fee for our ice races is just $50 for 3/ 20min heats. Or, $20 for 20 minutes under track day rules.

I have been to your events and they would be my preferred venue if you were closer. Unfortunately, when you factor in time, fuel and the aggravation of hauling a trailer in the winter, Lime Rock presents a compelling alternative. Also, my kid plays winter soccer on Sundays.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/8/15 10:28 a.m.

In reply to Woody:

he's an excellent dude, I'll be taking at least one car up to him for prepping over the next year. Also kudos to your sister for not making noise complaints! I know it's a big world up there in terms of area, but it's still quite the small community.

Woody
1/8/15 10:29 a.m.

In reply to captdownshift:

Noise complaints up there are focused on the tow plane for the gliders. Tim is small potatoes.

crxmike
crxmike New Reader
1/8/15 10:35 a.m.
Woody wrote:
iceracer wrote: In reply to crxmike: Wow, entry fee for our ice races is just $50 for 3/ 20min heats. Or, $20 for 20 minutes under track day rules.
I have been to your events and they would be my preferred venue if you were closer. Unfortunately, when you factor in time, fuel and the aggravation of hauling a trailer in the winter, Lime Rock presents a compelling alternative. Also, my kid plays winter soccer on Sundays.

Ditto for me. I really want to attend the AMEC events, just hard to justify the 3hr one way drive. Plus, even with the rule changes this year, I don't think my studded Altimax tires fit into a street-car class and I really don't want to use the Winterforces I have for the rallyx car...idea that I can't use studded tires I already have kills me and I can't justify a $400 set of Nokians, esp when I find I am competitive with cheaper Altimaxs at rallyx.

Woody
1/8/15 10:38 a.m.
crxmike wrote:
Woody wrote:
Ditto for me. I really want to attend the AMEC events, just hard to justify the 3hr one way drive. Plus, even with the rule changes this year, I don't think my studded Altimax tires fit into a street-car class and I really don't want to use the Winterforces I have for the rallyx car...idea that I can't use studded tires I already have kills me and I can't justify a $400 set of Nokians, esp when I find I am competitive with cheaper Altimaxs at rallyx.

I wish I could find Nokians for $400 per set. The last ones I priced were $215 each.

crxmike
crxmike New Reader
1/8/15 11:55 a.m.

I was being a little generous with that figure and I was looking at 14" tires.

Woody
1/8/15 6:47 p.m.

Problem solved.

I just bought a 2000 Miata with a new top, perfect seats and 113k miles from the original female owner.

photo 2000Miata2_zpsc6aa7293.jpg

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Reader
1/8/15 6:50 p.m.

Congrats!

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
1/8/15 7:18 p.m.

Niiiiice.

FYI, Sports Car Club of Vermont just measured 12" of ice on Lake Iroquois.

Woody
1/8/15 7:27 p.m.

Just ordered a set of Generals from Tire Rack for $291 shipped with tax.

Thanks to this thread: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/snow-tires-and-rims/42333/page2/

HiTempguy wrote: The Generals aren't even hakka 5 ripoffs; they ARE hakka 5's. General bought the old molds and rubber compound recipe off Nokian since they retired it and are selling the (I think they are up to) 7's now.
procainestart wrote: General is owned by Continental, which also owns Gislaved. The Altimax Arctic is the Gislaved Nordfrost 3 -- same tire, not a look-alike, and not Nokian-based. The Nordfrost 3 was Gislaved's top-of-the-line tire several years ago. When my buddy's Nokian Hakka 2s wore out on his Saab TSD rally car that sees a lot of winter events, we replaced them with Altimax Arctics: they are equivalent in every way...except they're not expensive. I've got a set, too.
DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT HalfDork
1/8/15 7:57 p.m.

If you want traction, put the weight over the drive wheels. Just sayin'. 8-)

David

Woody
1/8/15 8:01 p.m.

In reply to DWNSHFT:

There's one of those in the garage too, but mistakes can cost you more than a Miata.

Woody
1/8/15 8:11 p.m.

Home safe.

photo 004_zps7f96cf18.jpg

Woody
1/9/15 9:14 p.m.

Got it inspected and registered today, then gave it an Italian tune up.

Bonus: It snowed here last night!

car39
car39 HalfDork
1/10/15 10:22 a.m.

They're a lot of fun, no matter what car

crxmike
crxmike New Reader
1/10/15 11:01 a.m.

In reply to car39:

Kevin... I just wish CART had wintercross, what was just a little before my time... Or a good site for wintercross.

Big Bear

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/10/15 12:17 p.m.

Very nice find Woody! I also got a set of the Altimax for my Civic project. Wintercross sounds like a blast! Almost makes me wish I still lived in New England.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Reader
1/10/15 12:46 p.m.

Nice choice. Hardtop or rollbar required?

Woody
1/12/15 9:45 a.m.
Petrolburner wrote: Nice choice. Hardtop or rollbar required?

Neither hard tops, nor roll bars are required. Studded tires are not allowed.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/15 9:54 a.m.

I'm trying to sneak the Fiat out there for a day

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/12/15 9:54 a.m.

In reply to Woody:

I hope that means you are going to race with the top down.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QvzepavlDrPS5qXLP2pV9L9bJwntd1Z7E9tYE3ZFDWHCG2pWeQVF3wB1nndxNk0x