1 2
dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
10/21/19 2:20 p.m.

My oldest is about to turn 5. I'm working on getting my wife on board with the idea, but I feel like now is time to get her something motorized. I was thinking a yard kard like the Yerf Dog line. IE, the 3203:

I found a used one locally for $525, needs a new clutch, looks to have been stored outside some. Seems steep for something that can't be jumped on and ridden. I don't mind working on it a bit to get it going - a new clutch is well within my time budget. But does anyone else here have suggestions for karts, what to look at and look for, what to avoid, etc? I've never owned a go-kart. I'd like a 2 seater since I have 2 kids. I'd love to be able to give them rides in it to get them comfortable with it. I think the Yerf Dog would let me do so - it has a 250lb limit and I'm ~170lbs.

Crazy performance is not desired, since I'm hoping to stick a 5 year old on the thing. I could zip tie a block of wood under the gas pedal of course.

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
10/21/19 2:55 p.m.

I know nothing about them really, but I've seen some youtube videos about the Manco Dingo and it looks to be a similar design and rather fun to drive around.

I would also like to have one, except I want it to be fast because it would be for me.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/21/19 3:37 p.m.

I have a Manco 485.  Put a HF Predator on it with a Comet torque-a-verter and it has been bulletproof.  Big tires at low pressures are where all the compliance comes from in the suspension.  Solid rear axle with a single disc brake.

GPS verified at 47mph.   I set the throttle stop in far enough to keep the CVT from doing it's thing when my kids were younger.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
10/21/19 8:55 p.m.

In reply to Tyler H :

OMG your kiddo looks so pleased. That's adorable!

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
10/21/19 9:33 p.m.

Anyone heard of the Run Master II? Cheap Chinese yeard kart but looks well designed.

https://columbus.craigslist.org/snw/d/carroll-go-kart/6993971888.html

$750 in good shape. Might be too much for the kids when they're this young.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
10/22/19 6:08 a.m.

Howdy my friend!  Been there, done that.  I think Tyler H has it right.  Find a Manco type one.  With some searching, you can find one for $250-$350.  Get your HF coupon and pick up a Predator motor for peanuts.  Drop it in, have fun.  Set the throttle to limit top speed...for you, not your kids...I've seen what happens when you drive small motorized things.  cheeky 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
10/22/19 7:03 a.m.

In reply to Klayfish :

Hey I'll have you know that fully 50% of the wheels remained in contact with what I consider the ground. 

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/22/19 8:44 a.m.

If you don't mind a bit of work, you can be all in for ~$300. Me and some friends have been going down the go kart rabbit hole recently, here's what seems to work well. 

1. Buy cheap go kart, non-running for ~$100 or less. 

2. Go to harbor freight and pickup a Predator 212 with coupon for ~$100. 

3. Depending on your setup, get a new centrifugal clutch or CVT, for $30-60. 

4. Fix any other small items. 

I have a good many  affiliate links here to useful go kart parts: https://bacgarage.com/go-kart-parts/

I don't have pictures of all of them at the moment, but we've got 3 running right now. 

Another thing to keep in mind when looking at go karts, is 1 wheel drive vs. a live rear axle. For your scenario, I would vote go with a 1 wheel drive go kart. They are simpler, and easier for a small kid to drive. THe live axle karts are quite fun, but I think require a bit more skill to drive. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/22/19 8:50 a.m.

Have you considered a smaller quad like I went with? 

May have started to soon though with mine, the noise scared her, so now she wants nothing to do with it.

Still following along though because I'd rather have our build a go kart. And with the endless supply of tractor frames, running gears, and motors, I could use the inspiration.

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe New Reader
10/22/19 8:52 a.m.

I did not need to see this thread at all.  It makes me realize I need one for my kids now too.

lrrs
lrrs HalfDork
10/22/19 9:57 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Got one of those used for my nephew a few years ago. It carried me about 200, and my gf about 120  with no issue, but was much more fun with just me. 

Check the brakes.  They were pretty poor. The brake band was available then and I think it will still be.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
10/22/19 10:11 a.m.
AWSX1686 said:

If you don't mind a bit of work, you can be all in for ~$300. Me and some friends have been going down the go kart rabbit hole recently, here's what seems to work well. 

I have a good many  affiliate links here to useful go kart parts: https://bacgarage.com/go-kart-parts/

I don't have pictures of all of them at the moment, but we've got 3 running right now. 

Another thing to keep in mind when looking at go karts, is 1 wheel drive vs. a live rear axle. For your scenario, I would vote go with a 1 wheel drive go kart. They are simpler, and easier for a small kid to drive. THe live axle karts are quite fun, but I think require a bit more skill to drive. 

Thanks for the tips!! I'm just starting out so step 1 seems to be my stumbling block. Everyone wants a fortune for karts on Craigslist. I'll have to expand my search and take time like I do when looking for car bargains. I had hoped to just jump on something so I could get momentum.

We've got a big yard so will do a lot of grass and snow riding. Is a 1 wheel drive kart going to work on hills?

@RevRico, I think a yard kart is more accessible since you sit down in it, versus the quad with a more up top motorcycle seating position. I'd like both eventually!

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
10/22/19 10:25 a.m.
JesseWolfe said:

I did not need to see this thread at all.  It makes me realize I need one for my kids now too.

Ditto that. Specifically, I need one for my kids that also fits adults.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/22/19 10:32 a.m.
dculberson said:
AWSX1686 said:

Thanks for the tips!! I'm just starting out so step 1 seems to be my stumbling block. Everyone wants a fortune for karts on Craigslist. I'll have to expand my search and take time like I do when looking for car bargains. I had hoped to just jump on something so I could get momentum.

We've got a big yard so will do a lot of grass and snow riding. Is a 1 wheel drive kart going to work on hills?

@RevRico, I think a yard kart is more accessible since you sit down in it, versus the quad with a more up top motorcycle seating position. I'd like both eventually!

Allways happy to enable!

I think so far all of ours have come from Facebook Marketplace. You kinda just have to keep an eye out and be ready to jump when there's a cheap one. Might be able to add in a term for needs engine or something. Even if you get one that runs, the predator 212 swap makes sense as soon as the original engine has issues because the aftermarket is fairly large for the Predator. 

We do all dirt and grass riding, very little pavement. 1 wheel drive will get a little iffy depending on the hill. Having a CVT / Torque Converter helps as well so you have the low end torque. Live axle karts tend to have a premium as well, but not always. If you can get a solid live axle kart with minimal issues for under $200 you're good. 

_
_ Dork
10/22/19 10:33 a.m.

We had a yerfy 3203. Only 7hp and I weigh 220, my buddy weighs 150. We used it was a hunting scout rig.

I'll tell you this right now, the welds on the front arms need redone or a wheel will go flying off into the forest when you turn a corner. Then you'll spend some time searching for the whole hub assembly in the woods. THEN the heavier guy will have to lean off the back at an angle, while the lightest person drives home so the missing wheel side of the kart is in the air. Don't even ask about turning...

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/22/19 10:50 a.m.
dculberson said:
AWSX1686 said:

I had a 1-wheeler as a kid and it would throw rooster tails of lawn...the gas tank also caught on fire a lot and my dad did the responsible thing -- found an old doormat and taped it around the steering column with masking tape so I could rip it off and beat the flames out as needed.  This group can do it so much better for the next generation.  I credit my father's just-right amount of disinterest for my present car hobby.  There were enough tools laying around to work through most problems, combined with no supervision to foster creative solutions.   

That said, the solid rear axle with those aggressive rear tires make this kart dang near unstoppable and I've gone up some pretty gnarly slopes with it.  The sprocket is exposed and a low spot on most karts, so keep that in mind.

Also, once you put a Predator on one of these, they have enough power to overwork the frame.  I had like 5 degrees of negative camber up front after a couple of seasons -- did a heat and beat to get the uprights back upright and welded in some gussets, no problems since.  Also added some gussets to the area where the 'roll bar' uprights are welded to the main frame.  That's a weak spot.  

A little mechanical sympathy invested up front and I've been surprised at how reliable this kart has been.  

Here are a couple of shots from Memorial Day 2014...now the older one is learning to drive a manual.  I credit questionable parenting and starting her off early in the kart.  ;)

TLDR:  if you have space, get your kids a yard kart.  It's been a good investment -- I'm probably into it for about $5-600 dollars over the years, after the new engine, Comet TAV, a taller sprocket (to quit tearing things up,) tires, etc.

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
10/22/19 9:09 p.m.

We waited to get our kids into yard karts until age 8, but did start them welding at 5...

We built some from lawn mowers and also bought some non-running 2 seaters and fixed them.  Non-runners are cheap--never pay more than $100, but you'd be surprised what's free, especially when a wide-eyed kid is sitting in it.

Since my kids were a little older, I had them hands-on with fixing them.    My daughter never got into it.  My older son is hardcore into it and has built several project cars, autox's, tracks, etc.. My younger son isn't that hardcore, but has built a turbo Miata and autox's.  The karts taught them a lot.

By the way, I wrote a story about yard karts for GRM back in those days...I'll see if we can get it posted.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
11/21/19 1:31 p.m.

And here's where I ended up:

And it wasn't until I was loading it that I realized it was a live axle kart. Whoops! And yes, it's pretty tough to get it to turn on the pavement. Well, I may try to do something about that depending on the kids. It needs a couple things but was cheap enough and can be ridden right away. $300 and the seller delivered it! Super nice guy.

I'll probably start another thread with build questions and such, later. I need to actually get some work done today.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
11/21/19 1:43 p.m.

Nice!  Way cheaper than what you were first looking at.

Now just check these guys out when it’s time to make it faster:  https://m.youtube.com/user/CarsandCameras

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy HalfDork
11/21/19 1:43 p.m.

Glad you posted because now I'm looking at something for my 5 yo daughter.

She wants a purple Minnie Mouse van but I think a pink/purple cart like this would suffice.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/21/19 2:05 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

I'll trade you for one with one wheel drive. cheeky

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
11/21/19 7:28 p.m.

In reply to EvanB :

Tell me about what you've got!

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/21/19 7:50 p.m.

Mine isn't very great which is why i didn't mention it before. It's just a basic two seat kart with no roll cage that i can't get a chain to stay on because the rear bearings are shot.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/13/20 12:37 p.m.

For inspiration once the kids get older, here's what me and some friends put together this weekend...

The kart started out as a two seater. We put a Predator 212 on it, and converted it to a single center seat, and made the rollbar a while ago. This weekend, we had a friend in town who had picked up a 440cc 2 stroke snowmobile engine for $100. About 24 total garage hours later, it RIPS.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOJmZMp2WQKEFzQfmriTqWCPZw_1nCqtmPuyjsHsIVACQfCGOntvCsKGq2IYHaC4g/photo/AF1QipO4Sia2-jFfbvOKHh5jGphR7jta9q9zZbjxR-UY?key=YW9FZlMzOEZiWGlhekVvZS14cVE4NzZ1bEZvRGtn

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/13/20 12:38 p.m.

More details coming soon on my blog, BACGarage thread, and hopefully a YouTube video. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xvjyymQG3YK8dLEFmG0swpBUn5HKZvCuQeDT1ckOHXdWnDlq6B6ZKNttURNOpJrW