1 2 3 4
Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/21/18 8:36 p.m.

Like the title says, looking for a clean FJ40.

Preferably soft top, no rust and ready to be enjoyed.

Where should I be looking for these? I just missed one on Bring a Trailer and I am still kicking my ass for it, the counter never reset and I missed it.

Any specific forums I should be looking at?

Slippery
8/21/18 8:36 p.m.

Also, I would prefer a 1981 model, but I realize I might be asking for too much.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/21/18 8:47 p.m.

The local enthusiast dealership has two FJ40s and an FJ45 on the lot. They're all lookers. The graphics on the 40s are worth checking out.

http://www.cartunesgj.com/services.html

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/21/18 8:49 p.m.

ih8mud is where the lc guys usually hang out.

here is a 74 https://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/d/1974-fj40-toyota-land-cruiser/6666375134.html

here is a 79 bj40 https://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/d/1979-toyota-land-cruiser-bj40/6664704681.html

the bj40 is in FL btw idk why its on the knox craigslist

here is a clean 60 if thats your thing too https://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/d/1982-toyota-land-cruiser/6670108035.html

MrChaos
8/21/18 8:50 p.m.

also i would look here at Land Cruisers DIrect, they are the main importer of Cruisers now https://landcruisersdirect.com/cars/

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/21/18 8:52 p.m.

Columbia has a crap ton.  Some cheap.

Slippery
8/21/18 9:01 p.m.

In reply to MrChaos :

That BJ40 in Florida has way too much rust. The rear doors are not even square neither are the front fenders to the body pan.

Thanks for the Land Cruisers Direct website, I might call them tomorrow.

Slippery
8/21/18 9:02 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

If that blue one did not have so much rust, it would be perfect. I know these are old and rust is a problem.

Slippery
8/21/18 9:03 p.m.

Also, only looking for FJ40s.

Do you guys know if the hardtops can be removed?

Slippery
8/21/18 9:05 p.m.

I am considering making the 6 hour trip to check this one out. Can you guys pick it apart? Anything that does not look right?

FJ40 For sale

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
8/21/18 9:14 p.m.
A 401 CJ said:

Columbia has a crap ton.  None cheap.

Fixed it for you - seems these are getting decent coin.  

MrChaos
8/21/18 9:22 p.m.
Slippery said:

I am considering making the 6 hour trip to check this one out. Can you guys pick it apart? Anything that does not look right?

FJ40 For sale

Other than the price that looks good to me. Idk what they go for but that is some dough.

Papabishop
Papabishop Reader
8/21/18 9:29 p.m.

How far you willing to travel? Houston to Craigslist has crap ton listed

Slippery
8/21/18 9:31 p.m.

I’ll check Houston Craigslist. I rather have it shipped as its probably not a fun vehicle to take on the highway. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/21/18 10:03 p.m.
Slippery said:

In reply to Keith Tanner :

If that blue one did not have so much rust, it would be perfect. I know these are old and rust is a problem.

I only saw surface rust, not problem rust - other than what's by the rear door. If it's a CO native car, we tend to have a pretty benign climate for old iron. I can go check that thing out if desired.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
8/21/18 10:51 p.m.

You should get someone knowledgeable to pick it apart in person. I went with FJ40Jim to look at one that someone had already bought as "restored" and it was pretty rancid the quality of work done. I don't think it *has* to be an FJ40 specific person, but someone with your interests in mind should look at it. If that person is you, great, but don't just buy one sight unseen. It makes sense that old vehicle restoration would have wildly varying results but to see it in person on a high-$$ vehicle really opened my eyes.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
8/22/18 5:51 a.m.

In reply to Slippery :

1977 model listed yesterday on BaT.

Two owner (neighbors) 30k mile original Colorado vehicle.

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
8/22/18 7:55 p.m.

My somewhat extensive experience says 25k buys a good one one way or another. Buy one for 5 and put 20 in or buy one for 25 that needs almost nothing, your choice. 

fiesta54
fiesta54 Reader
8/27/18 10:29 a.m.
fiesta54
fiesta54 Reader
8/27/18 10:30 a.m.

Funny enough, I was about to send this one to bringatrailer.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/27/18 10:33 a.m.

This one might fit the bill if you're not dead set on a soft top. There are a couple more on my local CL in various states of modifications and completeness.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
8/27/18 11:53 a.m.
Slippery said:

Also, only looking for FJ40s.

Do you guys know if the hardtops can be removed?

I have a 72 FJ40.  The hardtop on mine can be removed.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan New Reader
8/27/18 12:48 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Yes, the top can be removed.  In 1974 they increased from 3-speed to 4-speed transmission. In 1976 (i think) they switched from 1/2 doors with a hatch to ambulance style rear doors.  If you plan on a soft-top, keep those rear doors in mind.  

I never took the top off of mine, those rear quarter-windows were just too good looking. I did regularly drive it around with the doors off. I wish I hadn't sold mine, but it was a rust bucked that had been patched up. 

Even rusty basket-cases are listed for some really optimistic prices.  Check the mid-point on the front fenders for rust repair.  If the doors swing all the way open they'll tap the fender at the top of the wheel arch.  

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
8/28/18 2:40 p.m.
Ovid_and_Flem said:

In reply to Slippery :

1977 model listed yesterday on BaT.

Two owner (neighbors) 30k mile original Colorado vehicle.

This one goes on The Auction Block at bring a trailer in about an hour and 15 minutes. Already bit up to $20,000

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/28/18 3:50 p.m.
1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YHkFJMrtcB25AaAD1UddoRVQvxjutdpUUexbguHAB0o6dTlbtUUDBH2nW1fBmgwr