1 2 3 4
LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/25/18 1:07 a.m.

In that price range I’d want either a GT3 (if it was going to spend a lot of time on track) or a BMW i8 (if it was primarily a street car).

I fell in love with the i8 at a launch event at Lime Rock Park a few years ago. To my mind, it’s a lot cooler than an R8. The first hybrid car I’d be excited to own. And sure to be a future collectible in the vein of the M1 and Z8.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
12/25/18 1:19 a.m.

oh I thought you meant 80-110k in miles.  I am of no use here. Showing myself the door.  I will be looking at a $4,400 Versa and $3.5k  Versa on Wednesday case you downgrade your expectations.  I'll give it the Motor Trend treatment if you do.  devil  

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/25/18 4:28 a.m.
yupididit said:

This

Also comes with a factory warranty. Then get a CPO warranty devil. Beats an out of warranty R8 or Lambo!

chandler
chandler PowerDork
12/25/18 8:45 a.m.

I’d still vote TrackHawk, it’s what I’m currently looking at.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
12/25/18 9:49 a.m.

GT3's are great track cars, and fun to drive to and from the track.  As a more daily use car they're horrible!  You're much better off with the Turbo of whatever generation vs the GT3 for more daily use.

I'm with chandler.  In 2 years my daughter will inherit my SUV and I was initially thinking about getting a Golf R or the like as my daily.  Now that I've just added a turbo miata to my garage, in addition to my 996 Turbo, I'm thinking getting an SUV would make far more sense.  What makes more sense than a 500-700hp Grand Cherokee?

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
12/25/18 10:33 a.m.

Sounds like the decision is already made, but in that bracket I'd be looking at the newest PDK 911 turbo cab I could find for that $$.  Or a Trackhawk Cherokee... those sound like a LOT of fun... devil

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
12/25/18 11:20 a.m.

Only on grm do folks cross shop.  Jeep track hawks, r8's, 911's and Lamborghinis....

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/25/18 11:29 a.m.
docwyte said:

GT3's are great track cars, and fun to drive to and from the track.  As a more daily use car they're horrible!  You're much better off with the Turbo of whatever generation vs the GT3 for more daily use.

I'm with chandler.  In 2 years my daughter will inherit my SUV and I was initially thinking about getting a Golf R or the like as my daily.  Now that I've just added a turbo miata to my garage, in addition to my 996 Turbo, I'm thinking getting an SUV would make far more sense.  What makes more sense than a 500-700hp Grand Cherokee?

Callaway Escalade. 

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
12/25/18 12:24 p.m.

Prowler with a modern HEMI and proper trans. 

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/25/18 1:23 p.m.

I’d seriously consider a cpo continental super sport.  

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/25/18 1:34 p.m.

I know it doesnt matter, but my vote was for the brown one. How is the resale on a brown one compared to other colors?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/25/18 2:33 p.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

Ya’ll must just hate nice cars.  Microbe is just gonna kill whatever he gets, poor cars......

I say again.  Suburban.  Stay alive a while longer.

He doesn't kill cars. Other "drivers" do it for him. He just seems to paint a bigger target.  Flak bait, if you will.

Tk8398
Tk8398 Reader
12/25/18 2:58 p.m.
yupididit said:

This

You can lease one of those for only $2500/month lol. 

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/25/18 3:40 p.m.

Half the dough, with  a warranty.   Blow some of the remainder on a nice shakedown cruise.

https://www.kia.com/us/en/build/stinger/2019/trims?trim=121&model=798

Image result for kia stinger

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
12/25/18 3:50 p.m.

Guy has already bought the brown R8 

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
12/25/18 4:26 p.m.
grover said:

I’d seriously consider a cpo continental super sport.  

Definitely a good option.

I realize there are a lot of brown car lovers in this thread,  but brown on brown on brown would be a tough sell for me,  especially at that price point.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/25/18 5:12 p.m.

To be different how about an F Type R. 

Like this used one.

Jaguar would have no problem helping you void the warranty’s to make it go much faster. 

dean1484
12/25/18 5:18 p.m.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
12/25/18 5:32 p.m.
dean1484 said:

THIS would be a strong contender for me. Definitely not the R8. But to each his own.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/25/18 6:27 p.m.

White R8s white carbon are breathtaking. That being said I'd strongly consider finding a Cayman GT4. Last of the flat 6 mid engine Porsches. A great drive, surprising storage for the size of the vehicle and it's value will only go one way...

Brake_L8
Brake_L8 New Reader
12/26/18 7:31 a.m.

Sounds like OP already decided on the brown R8, which was going to be my suggestion as well. Much more interesting than another white Audi roaming the world.

Dave M
Dave M Reader
12/26/18 8:13 a.m.

Now we all need to see some pics of the new ride! With shift gate content please.

dean1484
12/26/18 10:19 a.m.

I was late to the party.  I like R8's but brown is my least favorite color for any car with white being a very close second. 

Actually pink may be my #1 least liked color for a car followed by any color that can double as a highlighter.  

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
12/28/18 6:05 p.m.
dean1484 said:

I was late to the party.  I like R8's but brown is my least favorite color for any car with white being a very close second. 

Actually pink may be my #1 least liked color for a car followed by any color that can double as a highlighter.  

I have a pink Cadillac. Or well had. You would not like the highlighter colored cars I have had.

News...

Deal is done on the brown car. Driving about 600 miles round trip tomorrow to pick it up with my dad. We used to do this all the time and drag home old busted crap that I would fix up. 7-8 hours in the car with my dad is pretty much the best part of getting the car. I got a monster deal on it and well I have had a coupe R8 so I know what I am getting into. I wanted a GT to sit in traffic. I have the monster for when I want to go fast on the track.

Much much better pictures. Not 100% in love with the color but my wrap guy says he van make it nardo grey or really anything I want within reason for 2K or so and some homebrews. My local dealer had a beat to snot Q5 on the lot with the same color and its weird. It looks great in the sun, it looks black at night and it has so much flake in it for an audi. This was the cheapest manual in the country by 5 figures that had 100% of the options available that year. Plus its a manual and low miles and had no outstanding work required. Also had new tire which is great.

Link with the better pictures.

https://sanfranciscosportscars.com/vehicles/714/2011-audi-r8-spyder

Onto the shopping.  

I did read all of this and I did look at a few things.  I really love you guys as you have the best suggestions. I do read them all it is very helpful.

Mercedes GT  

Worst seats I have ever been in my entire life. I have no idea if its my sholder width or my back or what but it was a trainwreck. I wanted a GT it was a Viper in a fancy Dress.    

Jaguar R Type.    

Best of the bunch but other then the noise being drop dead amazing surprisingly small inside. I know that I bought a R8 but again the seats were so sporty in some of them.  

GTR   

Wife's pick, I really like these things but its dated and expensive for what it is.    

Wilds card was a GT350R     

Holy crap do I love this thing. But it really is an attention hog and the noise it makes just makes me want to bury the throttle. Seats were decent in this one.

Trackhawk

No just no. Holy tar is that thing over engined and under braked and the weight is so up high. Its like my old SRT-10 

Big SUV 

I did look at a few but they all are so big for San Diego and so hard to park that they just did not make sense.  

Raptor.  

Yeah if I lived anywhere else this is what I would have picked and just sent it out for a turbo upgrades and a good tune. Its impossible to park. Its bigger then my old 4x4 F150 Lariat. Love it the 6.2 that I drove was even better but got 7.9mpg on the test drive.  

xflowgolf
xflowgolf SuperDork
12/28/18 6:35 p.m.

Brown R8 is gorgeous.  Even if you decide to wrap it, that interior would look great with a number of exterior colors.  I like that it's a proper manual as well.  

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eLHfpjjPDA1uXtxMZqZdip29tIPbzw4eyfjS3b9Oa9BYeSN091MrGAlUPMg0eYwe