1 2 3
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/25/13 5:28 p.m.

My friend and I are in the midst of an 8BA Flathead rebuild. He keeps referring to this as "our" engine, but I would use that description rather loosely. I found it and he paid for it. It's stripped down, it's been relieved and is being magnafluxed and hot tanked as we speak. Crank, pistons, rods, valves and heads are all ready to go in.

The problem is that we don't have a car to put this engine into. This all started after I read the thread here on the Oilers Car Club Race of Gentlemen. We decided to build something pre-war. He's open to anything from a Model A through late 40's. I like A's, especially Tudor highboys, but I'd prefer to build a track roadster or boat tail speedster. Neither one of us will fit comfortably in a truck cab.

Right now, we have nothing and are open to suggestions. Let me know if you find anything out there.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
1/25/13 5:54 p.m.

I am kind of biased but go Model A. If you can find a decent five door body that is what I would do.

The roadsters have a bit more space then the trucks will have bit more room and can be stretched easier

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
1/25/13 5:54 p.m.

Can you do the coachwork to make your own body? I'd personally look to something like these photos of the 500 from right after the great war. Indy 500 pictures< Frame and the rest of the running gear should be simple. The body shouldn't be too hard to make, right?

4g63t
4g63t HalfDork
1/25/13 6:08 p.m.

I saw a Pinto with a flatty

Woody
1/25/13 6:19 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Can you do the coachwork to make your own body? I'd personally look to something like these photos of the 500 from right after the great war. Indy 500 pictures< Frame and the rest of the running gear should be simple. The body shouldn't be too hard to make, right?

That's exactly what I'm thinking about.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/25/13 6:28 p.m.

Ok it has to be said. Miata Lol.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
1/25/13 6:36 p.m.
Woody wrote:
mazdeuce wrote: Can you do the coachwork to make your own body? I'd personally look to something like these photos of the 500 from right after the great war. Indy 500 pictures< Frame and the rest of the running gear should be simple. The body shouldn't be too hard to make, right?
That's exactly what I'm thinking about.

Harooning around?

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro HalfDork
1/25/13 7:00 p.m.

I guy at work has one in a Ford Ranger, so just about anything will work.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 HalfDork
1/25/13 7:05 p.m.

vintage sprint car

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
1/25/13 7:05 p.m.

Like a lot of things, I think you need to nail down what parts you're working with and then make the body over them. For something like this I've got to think wheels/tires would be a huge factor. I know Cooker tire makes about anything, but I don't have any knowledge on what wheels you'd use that would be safe and let you the huge drums that would seem appropriate for a car like that.

Woody
1/25/13 7:09 p.m.

We'll probably use '35 Ford wire wheels so we can use hydraulic brakes.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
1/25/13 7:11 p.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: vintage sprint car

Yes please.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis Dork
1/25/13 7:13 p.m.

I've always thought an unchopped doctors coupe would be cool an different.

-Rob

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
1/25/13 7:29 p.m.

Model A?

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
1/25/13 8:03 p.m.

How strange are you thinking? For example, in Allis Chalmers G series

Ranger50
Ranger50 UberDork
1/25/13 8:06 p.m.
81cpcamaro wrote: I guy at work has one in a Ford Ranger, so just about anything will work.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/25/13 8:13 p.m.

Really throw them off and stick it in a FB RX-7.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/25/13 8:31 p.m.

photo 35ec784d.jpg

ArthurDent
ArthurDent HalfDork
1/25/13 8:38 p.m.

A friend of mine came close to tossing one in a Volvo 240

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
1/25/13 8:51 p.m.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
1/25/13 8:56 p.m.

It looks like 35 wire wheels were 16's? Yes? In that case I might have to revise my suggestion. Part of the charm of the old speedway cars are the large wheels. 16 inch wheels puts you in a whole different aesthetic. Now I'm thinking lower. I'm pretty sure there is some good inspiration in early Bonneville cars too.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/25/13 8:58 p.m.

I think on old flat fender Jeep would be cool. Leave the hood off.

Carro Atrezzi
Carro Atrezzi GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/25/13 9:09 p.m.
Rob_Mopar wrote:

i could be wrong but I don't think that's a full-size flathead. A V8-60 maybe? Cool as heck in any case

Woody
1/25/13 9:18 p.m.
petegossett wrote:  photo 35ec784d.jpg

Funny you should mention that. Dave, my partner in this project, has a '53 Ford Jubilee tractor. I've suggested that and if we can't figure out anything else, that may be where it ends up. But, that's far from the first choice.

Woody
1/25/13 9:20 p.m.
Carro Atrezzi wrote:
Rob_Mopar wrote:
i could be wrong but I don't think that's a full-size flathead. A V8-60 maybe? Cool as heck in any case

Yeah, that looks like a V8 60. They're actually kind of hard to find these days because the sprint car and vintage speedboat guys snap them all up.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hKWHoB1sc6ysd6s8o9lOnZpL8rAghouS54LqkkAPCEju8isXK7nhIUdlN1vwBU0v