GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/28/13 11:02 a.m.

I'm trying to get an idea of the overall expense of vehicle consumables including fuel, and lodging costs, and any miscellaneous expenses I might not have thought of. I'm trying to work out whether it would be possible for me to save up to go halfsies on an entry next year. So if anyone could post up approximations of their own past budgets that would save me plenty of research and surprises.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/28/13 12:13 p.m.

Whats OLOA?

GameboyRMH
7/28/13 12:15 p.m.

One Lap of America

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
7/28/13 8:47 p.m.

Subbing. I'm planning on a 2015 entry.

Brock2
Brock2 New Reader
7/29/13 8:22 a.m.

The biggest expenses are tires and fuel. All entrants get a 25% discount on the approved tires from the Tire Rack so that helps. Fuel, figure $4.00+/gallon for 3500 miles plus to and from South Bend. Food, well other than the finishing banquet, no one eats too well during the week. Between grazing for empty calories at gas stations and racetrack fare, that's all most of us have time for. As the event nears, I will post a list of motels that have favorable One Lap rates to keep the costs down.
Brock

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
7/29/13 9:07 a.m.
Brock2 wrote: The biggest expenses are tires and fuel. All entrants get a 25% discount on the approved tires from the Tire Rack so that helps. Fuel, figure $4.00+/gallon for 3500 miles plus to and from South Bend. Food, well other than the finishing banquet, no one eats too well during the week. Between grazing for empty calories at gas stations and racetrack fare, that's all most of us have time for. As the event nears, I will post a list of motels that have favorable One Lap rates to keep the costs down. Brock

So really.... if i just did a 3 week 7500 mile road trip, i could probably use that as a good model for costs.

Then just add entrance fees.

GameboyRMH
7/29/13 9:10 a.m.

Hey Brock, now that you're here I have a question about what qualifies as "racing experience." I haven't done any on-track wheel-to-wheel racing, just track days. I've done offroad TSD rallies. I don't suppose autocross counts for much Does any of that qualify me?

Brock2
Brock2 New Reader
7/29/13 9:33 a.m.

We don't require a racing license, just two one-day driving schools, on track with an instructor and classroom, much like a NASA HPDE or what most track days offer.
While autocross and TSD experience is helpful, they don't count toward the minimum requirements. Since most of our competitions are on racetracks, we need to see the high-speed experience. Frankly, I want to know that if you get two wheels off the track, you're smart enough to drive off into the grass in control rather than try and save the car.
If you've done track days with an instructor you should be good to join us though from a safety and performance aspect, more is always better.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
7/29/13 3:56 p.m.

Gameboy, if you email me I can put you in touch with a competitor who does it at real world prices (he's not well financed). He's done it for several years and can give you some good tips.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
7/29/13 4:03 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
Brock2 wrote: The biggest expenses are tires and fuel. All entrants get a 25% discount on the approved tires from the Tire Rack so that helps. Fuel, figure $4.00+/gallon for 3500 miles plus to and from South Bend. Food, well other than the finishing banquet, no one eats too well during the week. Between grazing for empty calories at gas stations and racetrack fare, that's all most of us have time for. As the event nears, I will post a list of motels that have favorable One Lap rates to keep the costs down. Brock
So really.... if i just did a 3 week 7500 mile road trip, i could probably use that as a good model for costs. Then just add entrance fees.

Is THIS why you sent me that B2K shell?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
7/29/13 4:05 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
Swank Force One wrote:
So really.... if i just did a 3 week 7500 mile road trip, i could probably use that as a good model for costs. Then just add entrance fees.

Goddamnit.

I wasn't even thinking about that... I hate you.

F2T ALL THE OLOA CARS?

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
7/29/13 4:08 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
mndsm wrote:
Swank Force One wrote:
Goddamnit. I wasn't even thinking about that... I hate you. F2T ALL THE OLOA CARS?

Seems legit.

docwyte
docwyte HalfDork
7/30/13 8:48 a.m.

Figure $6000. The entry fee is $3000, a set of tires around $1000-1500, then the cost of gas, hotels and food for the week make up the rest.

GameboyRMH
7/30/13 9:09 a.m.

That's about what an estimate I've been working on yesterday came up to, and then I have some extra expenses in airfare, and gear and memberships I don't already have.

The tricky part for me will be getting some kind of proper HPDE school done before I submit my entry. I'll probably have a chance to do it in Ontario later this year but finding a car to drive won't be so easy. Maybe a rental econobox with plates removed + agency stickers covered? That's another expense though...

I wonder if I sell sticker space on my helmet and suit for OLOA, if I'd be the only one doing it?

GameboyRMH
8/9/13 9:52 a.m.

Thought I'd update, I think I'm gonna push the goal back to 2015. I blew a ton of money over the last year overhauling my car (not quite done blowing it in fact), it would be very tough for me to save up enough in time and also get a HPDE school done before I submit my entry. I'm gonna get the school done sometime this year or next year. Maybe see if I can get in on a Challenge entry and do the school the same time.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/9/13 9:55 a.m.

See ya then!

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/10/13 3:02 p.m.

back in 2003 OLOA had some sort of school thing at BeaverRun, anything like that these days?

Brock2
Brock2 New Reader
8/11/13 7:03 a.m.

We are looking into putting on another One Lap school if there is enough interest but most driving schools, HPDE's, PDX's and track days with instruction are acceptable for entering. The NASA HPDE's and Hooked on Driving events work just fine, and we only require two days of instruction to meet the minimum requirements.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
8/11/13 11:29 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote:

I want to do it, but in a year when they will come to Hallett, which is typically every other year.........so next year.

docwyte
docwyte HalfDork
8/13/13 8:49 a.m.

Just don't stay in any of the hotels in that little town near Hallett. We did during '07 OLOA and we would've been better off sleeping in the car.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wmOImM27AwR4Z7UmnEhOXwzMqCRnI5T64Pg40nUANJ9LvsXYB2J1CpOAI75kBxtG