1 2 3 4
CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Reader
11/3/08 7:40 p.m.

Im finally getting a car

Hard to believe for me.

Im looking at a 2003 Crown Vic. Its a ex cop car.

I will get you a 2003, white, very nice car with 106K miles. You will like this car a lot! That is a screeming deal. AND, this even includes refurb. It will have all new brakes, fluids changed, made mechanically sound and will be cleaned and detailed. Think about it, even if you bought a $2000 beater, you will be up to $3000 anyway by the time you fix it up. This 03 will be already ready. 2003's and up are the much better years- Rack and pinion steering, improved suspension, more horsepower, improved interior.

This is from the seller. Its the same guy PATGIZZ bought from.

My question is this. Honestly what am i gettnig myself into. Is this a money pit? is this a good idea? is this a beat to sh*t car like all other cop cars or what.

Plase chime in if you have relevant info.

Thanks

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
11/3/08 7:54 p.m.

What happened to your Miata?

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/3/08 8:04 p.m.

How about this one?

http://gainesville.craigslist.org/cto/904445959.html

Clean 1999 Crown Victoria. Former Sarasota Constable's car. Runs strong, tight front end, solid dual exhausts, 4 wheel discs. 117 K miles. Heavy Duty Police model.Non smokers interior, cold AC, AM/FM radio, power windows and door locks. All antenna holes repaired and repainted. NO DEALS-$1500 takes it. Doug 786-213-3603

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
11/3/08 8:48 p.m.

I still don't get the alure of these cars.

they aren't fast they don't get good gas mileage (don't argue that mid to high 20's is good.. It isn't) suspension is lifted(by 0.8 inches) vs a standard crown vic..
but it's got cop shocks..

I guess they are good stout beaters.

edit:

cept they are like a bigger pinto.......... EXPOLDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! http://www.crownvictoriasafetyalert.com/

Lugnut
Lugnut Reader
11/3/08 8:54 p.m.

There is a power difference between a '99 and an '03, but the PI motors started in '01.

The '03 does have the allegedly better suspension and the noticeably better steering, but most exciting is that (edit!) S197 wheels bolt on to '03+ with no adapters/spacers.

I'm guessing from the quote that he's asking $3,000 for the '03? I think that does, indeed, sound like a fine deal. I would bet that you could certainly find cheaper ones, but if it's clean, looks good, and runs well...

As far as being beat to E36 M3, let me describe my car. Mine was the white P71 in the IHRotM in... um... March, maybe? I think the issue right after the 9 from the 90s issue, anyway, it doesn't matter. It cost me a tick under a grand for my '01 P71 with crappitty white paint and over 300k on the odo.

A year and a half later, I have replaced the water pump, the serpentine belt, and all 8 CoPs. That's it. While I don't abuse it or beat it, I do expect it to do anything a V8 car should do so it does see WOT, well, frequently, I suppose. I take it the twisty, fun ways to work when I commute and it only missed a beat when the water pump blew up. And I drove it the two miles left to work with no pump and maybe a couple teaspoons of water, installed the new pump in the parking lot at work and it's never stumbled since.

These cars are stout. Mine was a cop car, a cab, an inner-urban beater, and now my plaything, and after 312,000+ miles, it's still running strong.

And now I have my whole T45 setup ready to go, so the automatic will be coming out. I have my blue '06 GTO seats in, which ROCK... Yeah, it's a fun car.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
11/3/08 9:03 p.m.
Lugnut wrote: The '03 does have the allegedly better suspension and the noticeably better steering, but most exciting is that S195 wheels bolt on to '03+ with no adapters/spacers.

Wait... do you mean SN95 ('94-98) or S197 ('05-present)?

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
11/3/08 9:13 p.m.

with your frequency of looking at cars i think that this is the help that you really need http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=V8W&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=psychiatrist+near+43210&fb=1&view=text&sa=X&oi=local_group&resnum=4&ct=more-results&cd=1

joking aside, if the guy has cleaned it up right and it only has 106k on it, $3k sounds like a good deal. yeah, you can find it for less, but thats not that much mleage really and all the incidentals are done in converting it to civilian duty as well as the maintenance. it can help to figure out the work that you would do to another one that is already being done to this one, what is the savings of your time worth to you?

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Reader
11/3/08 9:20 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: What happened to your Miata?

Still have it but im not using it as a DD in the winter

mtn
mtn Dork
11/3/08 9:23 p.m.
ignorant wrote: they don't get good gas mileage (don't argue that mid to high 20's is good.. It isn't)

I see that as a challenge (I'll probably fail in your eyes, iggy)

What vehicle can very comfortably transport 4 FULL grown adults (three people over 300 pounds), pull a boat (18 foot), and still get 23 miles per gallon? It can do almost anything that an SUV can do (at least what most people use it for), and its a hell of a lot more fun to drive. Plus... that back seat is huge

Lugnut
Lugnut Reader
11/3/08 9:25 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote:
Lugnut wrote: The '03 does have the allegedly better suspension and the noticeably better steering, but most exciting is that S195 wheels bolt on to '03+ with no adapters/spacers.
Wait... do you mean SN95 ('94-98) or S197 ('05-present)?

Typo! Fixed!

mtn
mtn Dork
CarKid1989 wrote:
Tim Baxter wrote: What happened to your Miata?
Still have it but im not using it as a DD in the winter

hehe... Parking lots are fun.... you might have some problems on the big snows, but honestly, probably shouldn't be driving anyways on those...

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
ignorant wrote: I still don't get the alure of these cars. they aren't fast they don't get good gas mileage (don't argue that mid to high 20's is good.. It isn't) suspension is lifted(by 0.8 inches) vs a standard crown vic.. but it's got cop shocks.. I guess they are good stout beaters. edit: cept they are like a bigger pinto.......... EXPOLDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! http://www.crownvictoriasafetyalert.com/

Wow, you really are ignorant. Mid 20's MPG with a V8 and seating for 5 and all of their luggage IS good, even in tree-hugger hippieville. Mid-14's@94MPH IS fast, and ask anybody from Oregon Region Porsche Club about how fast a P71 is around PIR. They explode when rear-ended by ding-dongs at 70+ with less regularity then any other cop car in service. Get a clue!

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Reader
Apexcarver wrote: with your frequency of looking at cars i think that this is the help that you really need http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=V8W&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=psychiatrist+near+43210&fb=1&view=text&sa=X&oi=local_group&resnum=4&ct=more-results&cd=1 joking aside, if the guy has cleaned it up right and it only has 106k on it, $3k sounds like a good deal. yeah, you can find it for less, but thats not that much mleage really and all the incidentals are done in converting it to civilian duty as well as the maintenance. it can help to figure out the work that you would do to another one that is already being done to this one, what is the savings of your time worth to you?

I need a running driving car thats ready to go like now. I have been looking for stuff for a long time. I need get something good soon. I can sell it in the summer if i want. Whatever. Im getting 25-26 mpg driving my miata at the moment. if i can get that of close in the P71 then im cool with it. You gotta pay to play. This is an affordable dream car of mine. i need it for 6 months minimum.

Lugnut, what kinda of MPG are you getting on average.

daytonaer
daytonaer New Reader
11/3/08 9:27 p.m.
Lugnut wrote: ........ And now I have my whole T45 setup ready to go, so the automatic will be coming out. I have my blue '06 GTO seats in, which ROCK... Yeah, it's a fun car.

Would a T56 fit? .5 overdrive is great for v-8's.

I have not seen any manual p71's, what is used for the master/pedal setup?

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/3/08 9:45 p.m.

i'll tell you something about buying a car from brett.

i knew mine had a cracked intake when i bought it, it was the first thing i saw. but i knew they did that and it was a great deal even needing that fixed.

i started getting a little slipping/funny shifting out of the tranny and mentioned to one of the other guys i know that got his car from brett as well. i fully expected with it being an ex cleveland car that i should save up for a tranny rebuild.

a few days later i got a call from brett offering me a transmission and an intake manifold at no charge - the man stands behind the cars he sells even when he does not have to because used cars are as-is unless stated.

daytonaer - no master. he got it all from me except he modded mustang pedals already. all mustang parts are used including clutch cable. i was going to do mine but decided to keep it automatic because my work truck is a manual and i get sick of shifting by the time i get home.

Alonso
Alonso New Reader
11/4/08 12:04 a.m.

Check out PropertyRoom dot com

It's police auctions online and they sell used cop cars and other stuff pretty often

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
11/4/08 5:32 a.m.
mtn wrote: What vehicle can very comfortably transport 4 FULL grown adults (three people over 300 pounds), pull a boat (18 foot), and still get 23 miles per gallon? It can do almost anything that an SUV can do (at least what most people use it for), and its a hell of a lot more fun to drive. Plus... that back seat is huge

ask svrex about his buddies diesel excursion that gets 25mpg highway. or Cotton about his dually cummins diesel that gets around 25mpg.

you still haven't given me one reason to purchase one of these cars.

the car has killed 30 Law enforcement officers and its slower than the civilian version http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/1269541.html?page=1

blaze86vic
blaze86vic New Reader
11/4/08 5:34 a.m.
P71 wrote: Wow, you really are ignorant. Mid 20's MPG with a V8 and seating for 5 and all of their luggage IS good, even in tree-hugger hippieville. Mid-14's@94MPH IS fast, and ask anybody from Oregon Region Porsche Club about how fast a P71 is around PIR. They explode when rear-ended by ding-dongs at 70+ with less regularity then any other cop car in service. Get a clue!

Thank you. They are good reliable cars. They ride nice, and as was clearly stated do get good mileage for what they are. They are cheap and easy to work on, parts are plentiful, and you simply won't find another car on the road today designed for more durability than a police car. And for any younger person with a social life it's a great car. Because no matter how "cool" your friends cars are, you simply can't cram 7 people into a Miata.

All that being said, I'm not a big fan on the P71 trend. I get so tired of hearing people brag about owning an "Interceptor motor", when they are exactly the same as any other stock Crown Vic. The newer 4.6L Vics do get better heads now with the police package, but it's still nothing worth bragging about.

daytonaer wrote: Would a T56 fit? .5 overdrive is great for v-8's. I have not seen any manual p71's, what is used for the master/pedal setup?

There are no manual Crown Victorias ever that were stock. There are a hand full that have been converted. In my 86 Vic I used a T5 5 speed and I grafted a SN95 clutch pedal assembly onto the existing brake pedal assembly, because the stock pedal assembly on my Vic is also the entire support for the steering column. Yeah T5s are weak and will break with a car that heavy, 5 track weekends, 5,000 miles towing 4000lbs with a 4000lb car, and 3 years of daily abuse.....I'm still waiting.

ignorant wrote: the car has killed 30 Law enforcement officers and its slower than the civilian version http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/1269541.html?page=1

And how many would have died if they were in a tank. You do realize that more than half of that really small number is from cops that were unable to drive, or impacts in excess of 100mph. And it's slower because of all the crap cops put in it.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
11/4/08 5:47 a.m.
P71 wrote:
ignorant wrote: I still don't get the alure of these cars. they aren't fast they don't get good gas mileage (don't argue that mid to high 20's is good.. It isn't) suspension is lifted(by 0.8 inches) vs a standard crown vic.. but it's got cop shocks.. I guess they are good stout beaters. edit: cept they are like a bigger pinto.......... EXPOLDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! http://www.crownvictoriasafetyalert.com/
Wow, you really are ignorant. Mid 20's MPG with a V8 and seating for 5 and all of their luggage IS good, even in tree-hugger hippieville. Mid-14's@94MPH IS fast, and ask anybody from Oregon Region Porsche Club about how fast a P71 is around PIR. They explode when rear-ended by ding-dongs at 70+ with less regularity then any other cop car in service. Get a clue!

What mods? C&D gets 16's with a stock car. That's as slow as my civic with half the MPG. tell me again why I should buy one?

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison_test/sedans/2004_chrysler_300_vs_ford_crown_victoria_pontiac_bonneville_comparison_test/2004_ford_crown_victoria_lx_comparison_test

The data proves that stock for stock the P71 is slower than a civi version and is as slow as my civic in the 1/4 mile times.

so produce some DATA.. from an independent source that says the car stock for stock is good at anything. Seems like its a jack of all trades and a very poor one at that.

am I ignorant? yes... But I have dataer...

914Driver
914Driver Dork
11/4/08 5:55 a.m.

Well it's no Yugo.

You get snow in Ohio? This is a big piece of gear to bring to a stop on icy or snowy roads, plus it's rear wheel drive. If it were my money, and it's not, I would keep looking. Front wheel drive stick has waaaay more control in snow than RWD Auto.

Just my $.02,

Dan

bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
11/4/08 6:35 a.m.
ignorant wrote:
P71 wrote:
What mods? C&D gets 16's with a stock car. That's as slow as my civic with half the MPG. tell me again why I should buy one? http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison_test/sedans/2004_chrysler_300_vs_ford_crown_victoria_pontiac_bonneville_comparison_test/2004_ford_crown_victoria_lx_comparison_test The data proves that stock for stock the P71 is slower than a civi version and is as slow as my civic in the 1/4 mile times. so produce some DATA.. from an independent source that says the car stock for stock is good at anything. Seems like its a jack of all trades and a very poor one at that. am I ignorant? yes... But I have dataer...

I've personally always found it curious that so many people on this particular message board are interested in these cars. I've driven a few, and while they aren't really bad, They're no sports car.

jrw1621
jrw1621 Reader
11/4/08 6:36 a.m.

Same money, less miles, more mpg.

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/902934939.html

Here is another with some unique potential Sprit R/T w/ 5 speed turbo ... http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/899304094.html

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
11/4/08 6:57 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: I've personally always found it curious that so many people on this particular message board are interested in these cars. I've driven a few, and while they aren't really bad, They're no sports car.

I agree. My wife had a 90 grand marquis. It was stout and a good car, but nothing special. btw, she drove it in rochester ny, through all the snow. Well not really, she parked it when it snowed and I drove my 4x4 toyota around, but It still went ok with 300 lbs of sand in the trunk if you were super throttle gentle.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/4/08 7:03 a.m.

i like fullsize cars, always have. if GM were not stupid and killed the B body before its time was due i'd probably be rocking a 99 SS or 9C1 instead of a P71 but i had to sacrifice to get a newer car with less miles since every caprice out there has well over 100k now

i'll never own a FWD in the winter - they suck. if you lose traction on your fronts you also loose brakes, steering, and the ability to use power to turn the vehicle. my only winter mishap was in fwd because i went to turn and got halfway into it and the car kept going straight into a pole - with snow tires even and going slow. with rwd if the front loses traction i can turn the wheel and nail it and point the car where i need it to go..

my p71 is decently quick, handles nice, stops well, gets me where i'm going comfortably, i can fit 10 dead bodies in the trunk, and my dogs love the cage. i noticed 21mpg before i changed out the nasty looking spark plugs, have not run a full tank yet to see how it is now.

my astro's radiator popped where i JB welded a crack on the tank last winter, so i took the vic to pick up some stuff. 6 kitchen cabinets, 3 light fixtures, and a stop at harbor freight for a winch later it all fit in the car and only one light had to go in the front seat. the only other car i could do that with was my caprice wagon - but this goes back to the "gm effed up" argument.

i can't stand smaller cars. i felt cooped up in my turbo grand prix. i think the only reason i can do the vette is because the nose is so long in front of me, it feels bigger than it really is when you're driving it.

and my whole mpg thing stems from my everyday work truck being a dually with a 454 and no overdrive - i get 9mpg so being able to hop in the car and get 20 something is nice. and if i can get 24-25 in the vic on the highway it cancels out the 26 the vette gets by running 87 instead of 93 and i get to drive a big road trippy car that can haul anything i buy back home instead of watching what i pack and not being able to buy that whatever that i see.

blaze86vic
blaze86vic New Reader
11/4/08 7:21 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: I've personally always found it curious that so many people on this particular message board are interested in these cars. I've driven a few, and while they aren't really bad, They're no sports car.

I kinda wonder the same thing. I guess because of availability and the mystic interceptor aura. I mean lets face it, you can't find a much cheaper RWD V8.

I got into mine because it was my fathers, and it was already modded when I got it from him so it was sort of a Father & Son projectish thing.

And even though I love my Vic with a passion and do defend them more often than not, I also agree with several of the people on here. It is a very well rounded car, but not specifically wondrous at any particular thing. I mean I've replaced and changed almost everything on my car to make it what it is today, and in my personal opinion it's still a well rounded car (a little better rounded than stock obviously, but no magic car).

It's got a V8 with decent power and decent mileage, Civics get better but it's a cracker box for space.

The suspension isn't the smoothest or the best handling, but it's not too bad at either.

It's got interior space that is very nice, but you just can't beat a Van or large SUV.

The trunk is huge, but at the same time any hatch-back or car with fold down rear seats can fit larger items (it just looks huge when you open the trunk).

The only thing they really do well, is overall it's a very reliable car. I know someone will chime in about their bad experience or the recalls that have been issued, but it's been very reliable car for thousands and thousands of people for the past 30 years.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
etzB7JOyifHgkFaaD7XV2Sg96xbPotlhNz3DlsCco4YV9mwjry3OByyZmwPn60Qz