1 2 3 4
Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/19/15 1:14 p.m.

Yep, we're expecting our first bambino in July, so the new Miata for me has been scrapped. Still going to keep the 924 for stupid weekend fun until I get off my butt and build a Midlana or whatever may catch my eye next.

Looking at the Focus RS because it reminds me so much of my turbo-Dodge days with its hatchback and stupid power in a small car. Just worried about dealer markups and that there aren't any available to drive yet. My co-worker just bought an ST and he likes it quite a bit and I've only had one ride in it, but it seems pretty nice.

Anyway, because I have auto-ADHD and I have stupid prejudices about certain car makes, I'm also looking at things like used CTS Vs and MazdaSpeed 3's and 6's while avoiding things from ze germans, Scoobaru along with any SUV or CUV nonsense.

So ability to haul 4+ people, hatchback/wagon a plus for under $35k while still fun to drive and reliable enough to own for many years. Wife wants something newer, so 2007+ Auto/Manual doesn't matter too much as I mostly work from home so I only go into the office once a week and the Wife has her own car.

...and go!

penultimeta
penultimeta Reader
11/19/15 1:26 p.m.

CTS-V seems to fit your bill pretty nicely. So does the Pontiac G8. I'm not sure where you stand with the Koreans, but a 2011ish Genesis R-Spec is supposed to be a killer car for the money. I was about to suggest an STI, but then noticed that you said no to Subies.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
11/19/15 1:29 p.m.

What about a used Infiniti FX50S? It's essentially the Dodge Viper of crossovers. I know you said no to CUVs, but its based on the 350Z platform.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/19/15 1:29 p.m.

In your shoes I would be looking at a - stay with me here - CPO VW GTI or Golf R, so you get an extended warranty and a great deal (since VWs are worthless right now). Then, in two or three years, you trade it in on the Focus RS you really want; before the VW warranty runs out but after the bad PR passes and values come back, and after RS values have stabilized and all their teething issues are worked out.

Otherwise, the new Mazda 3S with the 2.5/6-speed combo is a hell of a car, IMO, if not a "hot hatch." Focus ST is the only real option if you don't want anything German or to get dinged on the inevitable RS markups. We are also finally, officially, getting the Civic Type R soon, but who knows when that will show up...

STM317
STM317 Reader
11/19/15 1:38 p.m.

300/Charger? You could probably find decent Hemi equipped ones for your budget new, or used SRT models.

Taurus SHO/Lincoln MKS with Ecoboost? Big and heavy, but capable of pretty impressive power with minor mods. A 2011ish one is about half your budget. Maybe less.

35k would probably build you a pretty incredible P71 too. Hell, 15k would.

Infiniti G35/37 sedan? No personal experience with them, but they come highly recommended around here and seem like a worthy candidate on paper.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
11/19/15 1:39 p.m.

63 impala wagon with ls and 4l60e. On bags. Should be under 20.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/19/15 1:40 p.m.

Magnum, Scoobyroos, SAAB 97x-Aero, G37.

NickD
NickD Reader
11/19/15 1:50 p.m.

2014-2016 Chevrolet SS.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
11/19/15 1:57 p.m.

Thoughts on the Volvo C30 T5?

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/19/15 2:04 p.m.
Stefan (Not Bruce) wrote: Thoughts on the Volvo C30 T5?

There was a thread about them last week you may want to look at. Basically a softer previous-gen Focus ST. Seats four comfortably but with difficult back ingress/egress and the compromise of low cargo capacity with the seats up. Sort of a warm hatch. Only real downsides are mediocre gas mileage (the old whiteblock I5 is relatively thirsty for the power it makes) and arguably difficult maintenance (timing belts are fuuun). Not a bad car but not for everyone, they have sort of a weird position as a luxurious warm hatch with so-so economy.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
11/19/15 2:16 p.m.

In reply to pointofdeparture:

Thanks, I'll look for it. I was asking since I'd just read the review here of the Polestar version and then found this somewhat locally: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/5314562391.html

The branded title concerns me

The gas mileage doesn't bother me too much since I wouldn't commute in it too often and its similar to the Wife's current rig.

Great suggestions so far, but yeah I'm not too keen on Nissan's styling, but still worth a look.

trucke
trucke Dork
11/19/15 2:19 p.m.

Congrats on the upcoming bambino.

Check the FoST for a car seat. If it doesn't fit too well there, the RS probably will not work either.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap HalfDork
11/19/15 2:24 p.m.

Congrats . I'm shopping for a c30. Made a thread here. They nice cars.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
11/19/15 2:26 p.m.

SRT-8 Magnum Wagon!!

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
11/19/15 2:30 p.m.

If you have any thoughts of carrying a non-amputee/midget adult passenger in the front seat AND your baby at the same time, you'll probably need to look at cars bigger than the Focus.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
11/19/15 2:47 p.m.

My daughters loved my STI, they like the WRX I "downgraded" to; but, they don't think it's as cool because it doesn't have a picnic bench wing.

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi New Reader
11/19/15 2:51 p.m.

I have owned 2 Mazdaspeed 3s. Great cars, very practical. I never had any issues with a child seat in the back, but the rear facing seats take up a bit more room than the front facing ones.

Focus RS looks like it will be a great car if you can find one without a markup.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
11/19/15 2:54 p.m.
Driven5 wrote: If you have any thoughts of carrying a non-amputee/midget adult passenger in the front seat AND your baby at the same time, you'll probably need to look at cars bigger than the Focus.

Wife is all of 5' and I'm only 5' 8", so larger cars don't really matter, especially since the Wife has a 1st Gen Highlander that we can use for trips with more people.

Still, its a good point and the thought of dealing with a 2-door car and a baby seat doesn't sound great for the back in the long term.

evildky
evildky SuperDork
11/19/15 2:54 p.m.

G37 also available in 4 door and AWD if you desire

Stefan (Not Bruce)
11/19/15 3:00 p.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: My daughters loved my STI, they like the WRX I "downgraded" to; but, they don't think it's as cool because it doesn't have a picnic bench wing.

I grew up with LBC cars like Triumphs, Bugeyes, MBG GTs, etc with the Capri 1600 and Fiat Strada being the cars I remember the most growing up. All of them were ongoing maintenance hassles, but were weird and fun to ride around in as a kid.

I detest the wife's Highlander, it is supremely boring and unassuming and extremely capable, yet perfect at what it does. So, if I can't get a Miata then I want something fun and quirky to drive that can haul all of us without too much hassle for short trips around town. I just don't like Subaru's or I'd be right in their wheelhouse.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
11/19/15 3:02 p.m.

In reply to Coldsnap:

Saw it, read it. Might look at S40's instead, but the C30's styling speaks to me.

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
11/19/15 3:04 p.m.
STM317 wrote: 300/Charger? You could probably find decent Hemi equipped ones for your budget new, or used SRT models.

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on one of these myself...I have 3 kids. You can get a nice low mileage '12-'14 Charger R/T for $20-$23k. 370hp and nearly 400lb ft of torque...hell yeah. They're huge too, giant back seat.

Otherwise, FoST would be a boat load of fun, as would Mazdaspeed3. Do yourself a favor and go drive a newer V6 Accord. They're silly fast for a family car. The 6spd coupe will outrun a FoST easily. And of course they're as reliable as gravity.

oldtin
oldtin UberDork
11/19/15 3:10 p.m.

You have plenty of reliable transportation options. You want to be the cool dad. I'll put it out there , Maserati quattroporte. $35k easily gets you to 2006+ so clutch packs are off the table.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/19/15 3:16 p.m.

Regal GS

Hyundai Genesis 5.0 r spec

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing New Reader
11/19/15 3:39 p.m.
Klayfish wrote:
STM317 wrote: 300/Charger? You could probably find decent Hemi equipped ones for your budget new, or used SRT models.
I'm very close to pulling the trigger on one of these myself...I have 3 kids. You can get a nice low mileage '12-'14 Charger R/T for $20-$23k. 370hp and nearly 400lb ft of torque...hell yeah. They're huge too, giant back seat. Otherwise, FoST would be a boat load of fun, as would Mazdaspeed3. Do yourself a favor and go drive a newer V6 Accord. They're silly fast for a family car. The 6spd coupe will outrun a FoST easily. And of course they're as reliable as gravity.

The Fiesta ST is way more giggles per dollar than the FoST, and they don't heat soak like the FoST when you flog them for more the 3 seconds. They seem to respond a little more readily to tuning, too. And, the insurance is a little lower.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VNEwaE1nQB0330Ei5tmyKdDACECSCa1N0uTDWahEH5jU0HMafZ47WAh7iloS0obe