rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller New Reader
4/21/16 9:13 p.m.

I have a 96 that still has its stock suspension and the northeastern ohio roads have taken its toll on the car. Problem is there are too many choices for suspension packages and wheel sizes. I use the car as a summer fun car. I've auto crossed it twice in 15 years and I have a designated DE track car so there is little chance that it will be used anywhere but on the street. Having said that , what should I look at? FM has some nice packages but which one? Do I need to change springs, and sway bars while I'm changing the shocks? As far as wheels are concerned, I like the Konig helix in grey (on a black car). I believe these are a good strong and light weight wheel correct? What size width are the original dazies? I was thinking 15 x 7 Any thoughts?

rslifkin
rslifkin HalfDork
4/21/16 9:17 p.m.

Daisy wheels are 14x6, IIRC. 15x7s should fit the car well with a 205/50R15 on them.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/21/16 9:40 p.m.

If you have a designated track car really what do you want to do on the street suspension wise? After I did the Challenge I find street driving in a stock Miata boring. You're really not going to push it hard without driving illegal. But if you want it just for bragging rights I'd understand.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/21/16 10:41 p.m.

Give Flyin' Miata a call. We're shorthanded in the office right now because most of the guys are at the Mitty, but we've got a few back at home that can help you decide between the various FM options.

mith612
mith612 Reader
4/21/16 11:13 p.m.

I ran the FM VMaxx kit with their sway bars and 205/50/15s for about 5 years on my old 91. Subjectively better than the Koni/Eibachs that are on my new 91, even with the same sway bars and tires. Only downfall was after a few winters the adjusters ended up seizing in place so ride height/cornerweight adjustments were not possible.

NickD
NickD Dork
4/22/16 5:33 a.m.

I run the FM VMaxx Classic coilovers, plus FM sway bars. The car handles beautifully and it actually rides better than the Tokico Blues with OEM springs it had on it before. Still gets a little bouncy over chopped roads but doesn't crash and bang over bumps anymore. I have yet to autcross it on the coilovers this season but I'm sure it'll be better than the old set-up.

For wheels and tires I am running the 15x8 Jongbloeds (Sadly, no longer available, a great wheel for the price they sold at) with 205/50R15 Dunlop ZII Star Specs. That's about as big a set up as I would want on an NA Miata. As it is, my car required a little fiddling to eliminate rubbing. I had to chop the rectangular section out of the leading edge of the front wheel well liners, as well as remove the screw from the retaining tab that's top-center and fold the tab upwards, to deal with rubbing. But it was worth it, because the setup looks absolutely amazing and those tires grip like crazy.

Sanchinguy
Sanchinguy New Reader
4/22/16 7:40 a.m.

I went through the same process a couple years ago with my '04. My needs are the same as yours. After considering every available option (and very helpful input from Keith) I went with the V-Maxx Xxtreme Sport coilovers and the FM sways. I also added 15x8 949 Racing 6UL wheels and some Yokohama S.Drives in 205/50. I'm running the FM alignment spec at 12.25"F/12.75"R and have absolutely no rubbing even under - umm - severe provocation.

I got everything I wanted - a great look, a firm, well controlled ride that's rarely harsh, excellent turn-in and transitional behavior, and the ability to fine tune damping to my car and my local conditions. (I live in mid-Michigan, where the roads are truly awful.)

There certainly are more sophisticated and expensive options, but the FM V-Maxx setup hits the sweet spot. Add in the exemplary customer service that FM provides and it's a no-brainer.

84FSP
84FSP HalfDork
4/22/16 7:46 a.m.

As a comment on all these setups. Purchase Marine Grade grease and lube the coilovers, heims, etc liberally with it. While it will attract dust and crap, it will keep everything nice and lubed and prevents all oxidation etc. Nothing worse than an expensive adjustable suspension corroded into one position.

Sanchinguy
Sanchinguy New Reader
4/22/16 7:50 a.m.

I used a PTFE-based dry lube sold for bike chains on mine and it's worked well so far. Doesn't seem to attract much crud. YMMV...

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Dork
4/22/16 8:43 a.m.

Add another recommendation for the fm vmaxx

But honestly call fm and talk to them for 5 minutes. They truly define great customer service

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/22/16 9:38 a.m.

Another option to help with corrosion prevention is using ACF-50. I used that on motorcycles I rode through the UK winter (lots of salt) and it did help a bunch, as long as you can ignore the amount of crud that attaches to it.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/22/16 10:09 a.m.

On my 97 I just found a set of stock shocks and springs from an nb miata with <20,000 miles, added FM tophats for the conversion and it rides great! I love how it handles. It does sit a little higher though. (Definitely higher than my perviously way too lowered junk that came on the car when i bought it.)

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
4/22/16 11:30 a.m.
rslifkin wrote: Daisy wheels are 14x6, IIRC. 15x7s should fit the car well with a 205/50R15 on them.

OEM Miata Daisy wheels are 14X5.5.
Agree with 15X7 w/205/50R15 though. Should fit and look the part.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
4/22/16 11:52 a.m.
Stampie wrote: If you have a designated track car really what do you want to do on the street suspension wise? After I did the Challenge I find street driving in a stock Miata boring. You're really not going to push it hard without driving illegal. But if you want it just for bragging rights I'd understand.

I would ask the same thing, although my point of view is 180deg away.

I autocrossed for a LONG time, and would rather poke myself in the eye with a sharp stick than drive that set up any decent distance on our roads.

I've talked to Keith some- and the set up I will put on my '99 will be pretty close to stock, just better behaved. Better able to absorb bumps and whatnot, and still handle well enough. I'm happy to leave the high performance driving to the parking lot and track.

Then again, we have pretty crappy roads here in Michigan. Making stiff cars very uncomfortable to drive- and prone to breaking stuff in the car (we broke a radio going over a bump...).

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltraDork
4/22/16 12:38 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:
Stampie wrote: If you have a designated track car really what do you want to do on the street suspension wise? After I did the Challenge I find street driving in a stock Miata boring. You're really not going to push it hard without driving illegal. But if you want it just for bragging rights I'd understand.
I would ask the same thing, although my point of view is 180deg away. I autocrossed for a LONG time, and would rather poke myself in the eye with a sharp stick than drive that set up any decent distance on our roads. I've talked to Keith some- and the set up I will put on my '99 will be pretty close to stock, just better behaved. Better able to absorb bumps and whatnot, and still handle well enough. I'm happy to leave the high performance driving to the parking lot and track. Then again, we have pretty crappy roads here in Michigan. Making stiff cars very uncomfortable to drive- and prone to breaking stuff in the car (we broke a radio going over a bump...).

Truth. My '97 is pretty well ruined as a car and gets driven to autocross and maybe a dozen sunny days in the summer. Spec Miata suspension has made it just terrible!

Before I went so far down the rabbit hole of car prep I had the FM 2.5 suspension on it and that was really good for a DD.

Rodan
Rodan New Reader
4/22/16 12:44 p.m.

Another vote for VMaxx. Great street setup, and much better than other adjustable height coilovers in that price range. If you're a hard core track driver, you'll want more spring rate, but they're perfect for the street.

rustybugkiller
4/22/16 6:59 p.m.

Good help here! Thanks! I'll definitely give Keith a call to help me decide on a suspension package. I'm going to go with the 15 x 7 Konig helix (grey)

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired Reader
4/22/16 7:20 p.m.

Having similar needs to OP, I'm Glad to hear all the love for the vmaxx

I've been eyeing them or the teins for my 99, but hadn't heard much on the vmaxx.

chiodos
chiodos Dork
4/22/16 8:04 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad:

Any more info on your suspension? I had "spec miata" suspension on my last miata and it was wonderful, even on E36 M3ty mississippi roads (roads that havent been paved in 20+ years). A bit stiff at 725/325 but the revalved bilsteins made them tolerable, hell felt better than stock.

I echo a vote for fm vmaxx. The guy I inherited the "spec miata" suspension from just put the full track pack on his newest miata and he says its amazing, and hes been driving miatas longer(8years) and harder than i so i trust his opinion.

rustybugkiller
4/22/16 8:48 p.m.

Ok, now I can't find the Koing Helix 15x7 in grey. I thought I saw them last week

rustybugkiller
4/22/16 9:31 p.m.

Great, they are not made in grey. Anyone know of a similar style, weight and strength in grey?

Rodan
Rodan New Reader
4/22/16 10:58 p.m.

Konig Dial-In or Avanti Storm?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
J6GEiRMzEzSMhzTUXu59WVp4HBZToRoAn5MI27IXFolvk7XcUX42JeShaeFp8V6A