bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/15/14 10:53 p.m.

Now that I have your attention...

I am trying to figure out the rear styling for my Midlana. These are re-posted from my build log, but I thought I would get more input if I made a separate post.

This is the concept of the look I am going for:

Unfortunately this look doesn't leave room for a diffuser. Here is the sketch overlaid over the actual frame.

To keep the diffuser I have come up with a few ideas. Option A uses a straight 12" long diffuser and tries to mimic the shape of the rear of the sketch, but pushed back to fit the diffuser.

Option B uses a shorter, curved rear diffuser and would be a bit harder to build.

Option C Is sort of a combination of the other two...shorter rear, 12" diffuser and easy to build.

Impart your stylistic wisdom!

peemittens
peemittens New Reader
2/15/14 10:58 p.m.

b

bgkast
2/15/14 10:59 p.m.

Here is the original picture if anybody wants to draw on it.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/15/14 11:08 p.m.

I guess paging through the GGA thread won't help here....

RollinM
RollinM New Reader
2/16/14 7:39 a.m.

Wow, cool project. I'll look for some pictures but I'm thinking 60's rear engine Indy or Grand Prix car. A kind of flattened cigar shape with the diffuser underneath

olpro
olpro New Reader
2/16/14 10:12 a.m.

Why do you think a diffuser is so important?

bgkast
2/16/14 10:42 a.m.

I forgot to mention that compound curve at off limits, single plane bends only unfortunately because I don't have the tools or knowledge to shape metal. Too many compound curves in the GGA thread.

The tapering rear and the head fairings are my nod to 60s mid engine race cars, in a more simple to build shape.

I think the diffuser is important for 2 reasons. It will help reduce drag slightly from the brick like aerodynamics of this type of car, and it will provide a slight amount of downforce which can't hurt on a car that has the potential to top 140 mph.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/16/14 2:24 p.m.

No compound curves!

Darn!

olpro
olpro New Reader
2/16/14 6:41 p.m.

I doubt that this kind of car has the airflow in that region to benefit at all from any diffuser. This is not a F1 car that has all kinds of flow being directed there. It is, as you have stated, a brick (albeit a cool one). For most cars a diffuser is a useless styling part, producing no down force, no reduction in drag and only additional weight. Since you asked about this rear end, as an aesthetic choice, I would venture that the extremely short rear overhang of your Locost is one of the very cool looking things about it. The proportions of ANY lengthened rearend will be aesthetically less attractive and exciting. Personally I really like the Locost look you have going.

bgkast
2/16/14 6:46 p.m.

In reply to kreb:

I think we have a winner

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
2/16/14 6:52 p.m.

My race group is comprised of open-wheel cars and sports racers, so I see a lot of ways to aero. My sports racer has a flat bottom which is extended to the maximum width possible w/ extensions on the bottoms of the side pods, The splitter is also max possible width and extends beyond the leading edge of the nose by about 5" and the diffuser fills as much space between the insides of the rear tires and begins as early and ends as far aft as possible and has sizable strakes. The wing as wide as the car and has a 12" chord. Ride height is a bit of 2" front, 2-5/8" rear.

There's just not enough width at the front of Midlana for a huge splitter to be effective, which means a wing and diffuser would subsequently lack effectiveness.

Look at formula Continentals/Atlantics/F1000, etc. You only see diffusers on the front-wing classes like F2000s.

olpro
olpro New Reader
2/16/14 7:06 p.m.

Here is a sketch of a part that doesn't lengthen the basic rear profile but rather is an additional component hanging down and rearward.

stroker
stroker Dork
2/16/14 10:29 p.m.

Something about that tail reminds me of the "Jack Rabbit" from Hot Wheels...

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds HalfDork
2/16/14 10:45 p.m.

In reply to olpro:

Dayum. That's pretty cool.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/17/14 8:00 a.m.

I'd say something like option B or olpro's sketch...but I don't think you have enough room for a diffuser of meaningful size either way. If the rear underside curved up more there would be.

And again if the car's ride height is very low you won't get much effect from the diffuser alone, although it would help boost a flat bottom & splitter.

Here's an idea, it looks like right now the engine bay is venting around the taillights. What if you use a solid panel there and let the engine bay vent around where the diffuser is like an MR2? That should cut drag nicely.

bgkast
2/17/14 12:27 p.m.
olpro wrote: Here is a sketch of a part that doesn't lengthen the basic rear profile but rather is an additional component hanging down and rearward.

Ok, I think we have a new winner! That looks fantastic! Even better than the blonde. I know the diffuser won't do much, but the car will have a totally flat bottom from front to back so it might do a little...Maybe.

Also I was thinking the diffuser or other body support framework behind the main structure of the car could serve as a bolt on sacrificial structure if some soccer mom talking on her cell phone bumps me. I also want to integrate a small trailer hitch into this area so that I have the option of pulling a tire trailer or carrying a cargo rack.

Thanks for all of your thoughts, keep them coming!

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
2/17/14 12:36 p.m.
kreb wrote: No compound curves! Darn!

I vote for this one.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
POzcgS8VRCku7PoCg9nKdwqvCLqLdsnCkmInqxXzgwtuPGT4xhokVfWfjpbEeaLO