1 2 3
NickD
NickD PowerDork
3/17/20 9:56 a.m.

I recently purchased a used 5-speed Toyota Yaris hatchback to use as a DD. But, it has 14" steelies with snow tires on them, despite originally having 15" wheels according to the door placard. Lame. So now I need to purchase new wheels and tires. I want this car to be kind of fun to drive and it might do the occasional autocross when the Miata is broken, or I just don't feel like being beat up/stranded by that car, or if there is rain. I've already settled on 205/50R15 Continental ECS for the tires, so I just need wheels. I'm stuck on three choices that I can't pick between.

The Yaris in question is painted Meteorite (dark silver) and here's a photo.

Up first, the Enkei Compe in 15x7 and charcoal finish. I like the Minilite-esque appearance and think they would be a good look on this car. They are $168ea on Tire Rack.

Up next, the Sparco Terra in 15x7 with the grey finish. These are $150ea. I'd take them in bronze or gold, but it seems like they don't offer those in 15s that fit my car.

Finally, the Sparco FF-1 in bronze. Also $150. I like the look of bronze wheels, I think it's a good contrast with the silver paint.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
3/17/20 10:01 a.m.

Those are some great choices. I have the Compe on my MR2. They look good with the silver. But those bronze Sparcos would look the business.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
3/17/20 10:01 a.m.

Hmm. Leaning towards the Enkei or the FF-1. Really none of them are bad choices here.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/17/20 10:08 a.m.

I put 17" rims and tires on a Maxima that came with 18".  I opted for a much taller 17 inch to ease over pot holes, snow banks etc. in the winter (have you seen my wife drive?)  The outside diameter of the 17s are the same as the lower profile 18".   I hope you're keeping the steelies for lake effect snow.

I like the charcoal with the light grey car.  I believe it is Tire Rack that has a picture of the car and you can actually see (digitally) how each wheel will look on any model car;  I will look around.  Because it's a fluke, a third car or just a toy, why not the fluke direction?  Orange, Kawasaki Green, what's wrong with electric neon blue?

Dan

spandak
spandak HalfDork
3/17/20 10:14 a.m.

As much as I love the Terras and want to put them on everything I think the FF-1s would look the best. The first set would give it a mini vibe that may or may not work imo. 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
3/17/20 10:15 a.m.

I wish the bronze or gold Terras came in the right bolt pattern or size for this car, because bronze Terras would be a complete win

79rex
79rex Reader
3/17/20 10:27 a.m.

just a heads up, some groups may not let you autox it.  As it would be considered a roll over risk.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
3/17/20 10:34 a.m.

In reply to 79rex :

SCCA lists it as legal for H/Street. But lowering springs and better struts are likely in its future as well. And I'mm 99.9% certain my chapter wouldn't give me a hard time about it.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/17/20 10:35 a.m.

Toss a coin.  All are good.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
3/17/20 10:36 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Toss a coin.  All are good.

Hmmm, have to go find my three-sided coin.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
3/17/20 10:36 a.m.

Option C:  whatever pops up on CL/marketplace in the next couple of weeks for $150 for the whole set.  Spray them the color you want and save the difference for tires.

Peabody here
Peabody here UltimaDork
3/17/20 10:46 a.m.
NickD said:

I want this car to be kind of fun to drive

Good luck

Go as small with the tires and light as you can with the wheels. I think they have a 3.73 final drive but should have at least a 4.10. I was shopping for one of those in 2018 but bought an low mileage Echo hatch instead and my buddy bought a Yaris.

Used 4x100's are plentiful and cheap around here.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
3/17/20 11:06 a.m.
Peabody here said:

Used 4x100's are plentiful and cheap around here.

Unfortunately all I'm seeing for sale for 4x100s around here are steel wheels. Import stuff is not real common in my neck of the woods.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/17/20 11:33 a.m.

Is the Konig Rewind available in your fitment?

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
3/17/20 11:35 a.m.

I vote for Sparco Terra. I want to put them on our Honda Fit too. Only downside is they're a little heavy.

jstein77
jstein77 UberDork
3/17/20 11:39 a.m.
cmcgregor said:

I vote for Sparco Terra. I want to put them on our Honda Fit too. Only downside is they're a little heavy.

A little heavy?  Those are heavily reinforced for rally usage and are very heavy.

Also, I think you're spending more than you need to.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
3/17/20 11:57 a.m.

In reply to jstein77 :

So maybe "a little" was an understatement but yes, we've established that they're heavy. They're lighter than steelies, and they look cool. They're also within a pound of the Enkei Compes.

Peabody here
Peabody here UltimaDork
3/17/20 11:58 a.m.

205 50 15 will look a little small on that car but it should also be about 3% smaller than stock, which it desperatly needs.

I went 4% smaller on mine and it's a lot more livable.

I like the look of the bottom ones best, FWIW

jstein77
jstein77 UberDork
3/17/20 12:01 p.m.
cmcgregor said:

In reply to jstein77 :

So maybe "a little" was an understatement but yes, we've established that they're heavy. They're lighter than steelies, and they look cool. They're also within a pound of the Enkei Compes.

Oops - yeah, you're right, they're not as heavy as I thought.  17.05 lbs vs. 16.35 for the Borbet I linked above.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
3/17/20 12:01 p.m.

In reply to cmcgregor :

What is the exact weight on the Terras? I can't seem to find it.

Edit: Ooof, 17lbs. Compes are 16.3lbs. Those FF-1s are 11.8lbs. Score one for the FF-1s

Peabody here
Peabody here UltimaDork
3/17/20 12:13 p.m.

Kick it oldschool, 15 x 7 Bassets

NickD
NickD PowerDork
3/17/20 12:15 p.m.

In reply to Peabody here :

I mean, it'd look absolutely hilarious. Hey, its already silver, I could get black and red vinyl and make it the Dale Earnhardt edition Yaris. 

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
3/17/20 12:15 p.m.

I like the Terra best of the three, but on a Yaris I'd actually vote Compe.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
3/17/20 12:22 p.m.
NickD said:

In reply to Peabody here :

I mean, it'd look absolutely hilarious. Hey, its already silver, I could get black and red vinyl and make it the Dale Earnhardt edition Yaris. 

See this, this I agree with.

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/17/20 12:31 p.m.

Of those 3, I vote the FF1.

Have you checked out Koenig's offerings?

All their recent flow formed wheels are a great combination of light, cheap, and stylish

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jtAhu05re0aEpQU35tMp0Ce0iMHfSIYtwQcBxWnwedxI61V3lAYJqacK6LpuFFaf