1 2 3 ... 5
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/12/21 4:59 p.m.

I just don't get it. Did someone really buy this truck for market value or is something else going on with the crazy numbers some of their auctions bring?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-ford-f-250-14/

If it was bought as an investment the purchaser must assume the price will go up substantially. Difficult to see that happening. And if not why would someone pay that for a daily driver? Considering all the vehicles out there you could pick from in that price range, I don't understand choosing one that has old paint and a lot of non stock parts including a 4WD swap.

mslevin
mslevin GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/12/21 5:11 p.m.

Money laundering

But actually, BaT prices are wacky because there's really specific things that would be hard to find otherwise, and the "customer base" are rich dudes with money to burn. They see what they want and just pay whatever price for it. That's my opinion, at least.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
10/12/21 5:14 p.m.

People with more money than brains get caught up in an e-dick swinging contest until one of them loses. The funny part is the guy who thinks he won is the guy who actually loses.

AAZCD (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/12/21 5:18 p.m.

BAT is like a carefully curated collection of stuff that people with stupid money will want to bid on. Want a premium price for the special car you are selling? Apply and see if they accept it. Want to buy a cool vehicle for a reasonable price? Look elsewhere.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
10/12/21 5:37 p.m.
Mr. Peabody said:

People with more money than brains get caught up in an e-dick swinging contest until one of them loses. The funny part is the guy who thinks he won is the guy who actually loses.

You sound jealous. Try this instead. Someone that has the money to buy whatever they want decided this truck hit the spot for them, so they bought it. I'm glad he found his dream car, and hope you get yours one day. 

10/12/21 5:38 p.m.

I have one of these trucks. It is a rust free one owner camper special with less than 100,000 miles. It was ordered with air conditioning carpet and the Ranger XLT trim package. I have mostly rebuilt it to stock but I put a Mercedes diesel in it. I am going to have to rethink that if the prices are starting to get into silly money for nice ones.

10/12/21 5:40 p.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

Its not jealousy. Its astonishment. I love these trucks because I owned one at 16, but I would still spend the money on something far more interesting if I had that kind of cash.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
10/12/21 5:48 p.m.
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) said:

Its not jealousy. Its astonishment. I love these trucks because I owned one at 16, but I would still spend the money on something far more interesting if I had that kind of cash.

"More money than brains" is jealousy. Most people with that kind of money, worked hard to get there. If you owned one at 16 and $130k was truly an insignificant amount of money, why not buy one? Is someone paying $130k for a 911, Ferrari, etc any different? Would I pay $75k for a 1974 Bronco? Nope, because I remember when they were $2500, but I don't judge the guy that does. 

10/12/21 6:01 p.m.

I could buy it I suppose except I have one I paid much less for and can think of better ways to invest that kind of money. And I am not sure where anyone but you is saying $130,000 is an insignificant amount of money. By the way, all first gen broncos are close to six figures now but pretty much every mass produced ford bumpside pickup is still well under $10,000, other than this one. But I see you think its worth every penny and the price is unsurprising so thats fine.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/12/21 6:08 p.m.

In reply to AAZCD (Forum Supporter) :

5 years ago, BAT was cool because you could get obscure but decent cars for a value price, because they were typically offbeat makes or models.

But of course they got discovered, the usual crowd stampeded in, and now it's become the Barrett-Jackson of our GRM-flavored world.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/12/21 7:14 p.m.

All auctions, live or otherwise ARE dick swinging contests. All of them. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
10/12/21 7:57 p.m.

While that truck makes me feel funny, like when you used to climb ropes in gym class, the price is just absurd. BaT is the perfect place to sell something like this. It's unique, it's trendy, it's sorted, and the bidders have the money. 

Now, pardon me while I post my truck on BaT...laugh

NermalSnert (Forum Supporter)
NermalSnert (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
10/12/21 8:08 p.m.

Friend of mine buys a 1937 Cord 812 Custom Beverly, normally aspirated from someone listing it on Hemmings 4 years ago for 72k. Sells it last month on BAT for 115k.

Sidewayze
Sidewayze Reader
10/12/21 8:13 p.m.
Mr. Peabody said:

Best description I've heard

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/12/21 8:14 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:

Most people with that kind of money, worked hard to get there.

LOL.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
10/12/21 8:24 p.m.

I look on BAT almost daily but I have to admit I don't find the prices indicative of where a particular market is at, yet it often is.

I've stopped trying to make sense of BAT.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/12/21 9:10 p.m.

If you get two guys with money that hate each other bidding on your sale, you are the winner.  That's very likely what happened here.  I once sold a piece of paper for over $300 for that very reason on eBay.  It the photos and information on it could be bought for $3 today.  My ex wife blew every penny I made during our marriage though and then some.  I was working 3 jobs to try and keep her in happy money before I figured out that was impossible. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/12/21 9:47 p.m.

That is easily ten times what I would pay for a rusty Ford truck with a re-sealed (not rebuilt) 352. It's probably  at least five times what I would ever pay for any vehicle...But I'm not the market.

Seems like two guys got a stiffy over the same truck.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
10/12/21 11:24 p.m.

BAT occasionally you find something cool and it goes cheap enough to deal with the crap that is BAT. But man stuff like this one makes zero sense to me from a bidding perspective. Add in the 5K in buyers fees at this price and yeah this one looks silly. 

But the more pedestrian stuff never seems to sell or is just 5-10% above market, but if you want say a 63 corvette coupe and you don't mind the expense its a decent place to buy something if you can eat the loss of buying at the top of the market. With minimal amounts of risk on getting a serious dud.

Cactus
Cactus HalfDork
10/13/21 12:00 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:
Steve_Jones said:

LOL.

Don't hurt your back lugging that trust fund around.

I hope the buyer needed that particular vin for something, because I have it on good authority you can in fact build one for less.

jamscal
jamscal Dork
10/13/21 5:23 a.m.

https://www.icon4x4.com/derelict

There is a market for this style. Icon will build one for you.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
10/13/21 6:04 a.m.

I have a friend who has his Ford hi-boy up for sale. Not quite as nice as that one, but a nice heavily patina'd driver. It's already up to twice what he thought it would bring. The vintage pickup world is insane right now, just like the Ferrari market was back in the 80s-90s. These trucks are the trend right now, and even people with obscene money are wanting a piece of the action.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/13/21 6:46 a.m.

In reply to jamscal :

Wow. That was seriously pretentious. I hope they mean what they say about "honest" patina... but since it's LA, I doubt it.

STM317
STM317 UberDork
10/13/21 6:58 a.m.
Duke said:

In reply to jamscal :

Wow. That was seriously pretentious. I hope they mean what they say about "honest" patina... but since it's LA, I doubt it.

They may be pretentious, but they're basically the Singer of the off road world. They apparently do good enough work that they've got people lined up on a 2 year waiting list to pay them 6 figures for their builds.

I think the patina is pretty authentic. This is the outside of their shop:

Super -mod -factory -14

Super -mod -factory -13

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/13/21 7:05 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:
Steve_Jones said:

LOL.

A few did.  Many did not.

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fTGN41gyJ7zCx9tBnn3Ydt5sUvXRTVupQvy9MQstgExUqk3gP1HT9PxSvqZK9NsU