1 2
Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/25/19 7:43 a.m.

On the Suzuki trucks, I'm a fan. They're pretty fun to drive. I'm fairly sure that at least some subset of them don't accumulate miles while being towed. Also, the Suzuki X-90 is a hell of a unicorn, but only seats two.

It's been years since I did the research, but I believe first generation Audi TT manual was flat towable, even with Quattro. The hardtop has back seats, but I think the door jamb sticker warns that the seats are intended for passengers under something like 5'6".

Wife and I mostly settled on first generation Forester manual when we looked. Most manual Subarus are fine with 4 down towing.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/25/19 7:45 a.m.
bearmtnmartin said:

In reply to John Welsh :

I actually kind of like that! A friend bought one new back in the mid eighties and it still had a hand crank. Unfortunately the chances of finding one that is not a basket case are pretty low. I should mention that I don't mind a minor project but I have no time for a big one.

One could argue they came as basket cases from the factory. There was a reason that Lada always included a generous toolkit.

pirate
pirate HalfDork
8/25/19 9:03 a.m.

I agree the Jeep Wrangler seems to be the toad of choice. Transfer case is a big advantage for towing, would be fun vehicle, unfortunately they are expensive new and used even with a lot of miles. Have seen VW dune buggy’s being used for a toad both Manx and sand rail style. Fun vehicle, light, fairly inexpensive but not weatherproof. 

We tow a Ford Fiesta ST. Even though it is six speed manual it cannot be towed four down due to transmission so we use a dolly. I can load almost as fast as hooking up tow bar. Most states require brakes on towed vehicles so braking system and tow bars, base plates, etc are more expensive then a dolly. The ST is fun to drive, light and easy to tow. Motorhome gets same fuel mileage with or without the ST being towed.

i have also thought about Suzuki Samurais. Would be great, light, fun but getting pretty hard to find in reasonable shape without having to restore. Other vehicle I have considered is the original Ford Ranger pickups. Fairly small, lightweight but they quit making in 2010 I think so finding good ones is getting a bit harder.

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/25/19 12:45 p.m.

This would be fun, seats 3/4, and it's local to you. https://abbotsford.craigslist.org/cto/d/chilliwack-1990-iroc/6949072628.html

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports Reader
8/25/19 1:19 p.m.

I

I think there is an advantage to having high ground clearance for a toad.   Otherwise, any car would do, like a Tercel,

they have the old four door 4x4 ones too..

Here is one of those rare tercels for $800 in sacramento,  https://sacramento.craigslist.org/ctd/d/citrus-heights-1983-toyota-tercel/6947818335.html

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/25/19 3:55 p.m.

In reply to Rons :

I like that. I'm going to go have a look when I get home.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
8/25/19 7:17 p.m.

Just saw this and thought of this thread.

S2000 toad

bearmtnmartin
8/27/19 6:54 p.m.

I quite liked the thought of that IROC, but two messages and he has not responded so I will move on. But that does make me wonder if they have any appreciation potential, so I will ask that question in a new post. 

Rons
8/27/19 9:34 p.m.
bearmtnmartin
9/7/19 6:28 p.m.

Just to close out this thread, I did a left turn and bought a bike instead. I did not want to clutter the yard up anymore with projects, and since it will just me and my wife in a year or two I decided to simplify things. I will build a rack for it on the back of the bus, or just throw it in a trailer.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
9/7/19 6:40 p.m.

Get a little Vespa for guests

bearmtnmartin
9/7/19 7:17 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

As it turns out we do have a little Yammie in the shed!

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/7/19 7:29 p.m.

The generator/battery slide out is awesome!

bearmtnmartin
9/7/19 8:14 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

Its always fun to pop the cover and tell people it's the big motor. devil (mid engine!)

Rons
9/8/19 9:44 a.m.

In reply to bearmtnmartin :

Seeing the pictures of your rather distinctive motor home I believe I may have seen it out and about in the past.

bearmtnmartin
9/8/19 11:06 a.m.

In reply to Rons :

There are a few around, and I don't think the factory had a great stock of paint colors so they tend to be the same color combo. They are made by the Bluebird school bus factory in Georgia and there are a lot more on the East side of the country than the north and West.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vK4nR0OdF90PJQQxzTzwDO97q8SSyAewMpM05mvT1rUZ6qlcqPLAQKyXcVE0k3Wk