dxman92
dxman92 Dork
8/14/21 8:27 p.m.

Put a bed on that and you've got a sweet pickup truck. yes

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
8/14/21 11:03 p.m.

I had a Sterling semi truck that had the PTO run off of the flywheel. It had its own driveshaft that sent the power back to the pump. The driveshaft spun all the time, the pump would make pressure only when a switch was flipped. I can't tell if you are dealing with a similar system but there is a chance.

KiwiMtnClmbr
KiwiMtnClmbr New Reader
8/14/21 11:05 p.m.

In reply to jgrewe :

Thanks! My research is yielding the same results - sometimes and it depends.

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
8/14/21 11:31 p.m.

You got me interested so I did some digging. I think the Shinko piece is a magnetic clutch for the PTO so I don't think the shaft should be spinning all the time.

I found this

http://www.thaitechno.net/t1/productdetails.php?id=126210&uid=38729

Is there any kind of electrical plug anywhere near it?  If you can check the coil resistance in the clutch you will be able to tell if it is a mechanical jam or electrical failure. I wonder if it fails open or engaged?

KiwiMtnClmbr
KiwiMtnClmbr New Reader
8/15/21 5:51 p.m.

In reply to jgrewe :

Thank you! I didn't even think of going this route; my brain just kept shutting down with "you don't know anything about PTOs"... turns out it is an electric clutch.

The guy who's flatbed I showed above removed it completely and then put a cover over the engine hole. Not sure if that's the way to go or not. It's a holiday weekend here (brand new one in fact) so I'm not sure if I can get into the lot where the truck is stored but I'm gtg try today. If not, I'll get on it tomorrow with the voltage meter. Feeling stupid right now but glad to have found help here ;-).

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
8/15/21 8:05 p.m.

If you don't have any need for what the driveshaft is turning(hydraulic pump?) I would simplify the truck and remove it.

The truck I had with the driveshaft driven PTO had a failure that caused a bit of damage to the cab and stained the driver's under garments. We tried to put a larger diameter shaft on it but we couldn't because of a hole it had to pass through on the truck body.

KiwiMtnClmbr
KiwiMtnClmbr New Reader
8/16/21 5:25 a.m.

In reply to jgrewe :

It was originally a large high pressure water pump unit for a fire truck. I have some hopes of setting it up to run a hydraulic pump for a center mounted winch unit... the drive shaft is long since disconnected and the utility body and water pumper are gone as well.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/16/21 7:23 a.m.
KiwiMtnClmbr said:

In reply to jgrewe :

Thank you! I didn't even think of going this route; my brain just kept shutting down with "you don't know anything about PTOs"... turns out it is an electric clutch.

The guy who's flatbed I showed above removed it completely and then put a cover over the engine hole. Not sure if that's the way to go or not. It's a holiday weekend here (brand new one in fact) so I'm not sure if I can get into the lot where the truck is stored but I'm gtg try today. If not, I'll get on it tomorrow with the voltage meter. Feeling stupid right now but glad to have found help here ;-).

You're on the right track here.  It's worth noting that there may be enough drag in the clutch mechanism for the output shaft to turn even when disengaged.  It won't drive a load but with no driveshaft it could still turn.  With the key on but the engine off try and turn the output shaft.  If you can turn it then it's disengaged.

If you can find or fabricate a cover I'd remove the unit.  Mostly because leaving it on but unused seems wrong to me.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ui7WBxxXAe1IRlrT1vQTvLep1cy4UyZmcoXMQW3SsTvYWdnZazqhLCIPQgMsH1yc