CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
10/23/20 8:06 p.m.

We have a 2009 Civic EX coupe (1.8L) thats been my daily driver.  Automatic, factory alloy wheels, stock everything.  I know the history since new, no accidents and 176,000 miles on it.  Now that you have the background on it I have two issues that I am noticing more and have a hard time figuing out.

Low speed (under 30mph) and parking lot/ driveway maneuvers it has a hollow sounding clunk knock and pop that sounds like loose joints. It not  metal on metal sounding nor does it have a reverb to it. It will make the noise over bumps, entering driveways and over curbs. 

The lower control arms have been replaced but Ill inspect again. Balljoints didnt seem to have play last time I did an oil change.  The front struts are less than a year or so old.  They were loaded struts so all new bits.

I see a TSB for retorquing steering box bolts. I can try that but besides that I am at a loss.

Any ideas?

Second issue is a very shaky rough idle when in gear or park. A/C on makes it worse. No CEL. I see this generation has issues with driver side motor mounts. Not the top dog bone but the big barrel one. I had my wife take a video of the mount while I brake torqued it to see for movement or cracks.  It moved a bit but not all dramatically lie other youtube videos.  Is this my culprit? other ideas?

Thank you for your help.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
10/23/20 8:26 p.m.

We had a a 08 Ex and now a 10 Si, steering box bolts for sure. Your description matches all the civic forum threads. Our ex did it, si not so much 

ours was right turn only into a parking lot 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
10/23/20 8:35 p.m.

In reply to CarKid1989 :

My daughter has a 2009 with 211,000 miles.  Also noisy with air on.  

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/23/20 10:00 p.m.

Sway bar bushings.

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/24/20 9:05 a.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

.. steering box bolts for sure..

Please explain ... steering box?  Steering rack maybe?  Bolts come lose, or something else?  New parts required?  Asking because my '06 clunks in the front end with new KYB loaded front struts (which took care of other issues, but not the clunk)

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
10/24/20 10:16 a.m.

In reply to einy (Forum Supporter) :

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/24/20 11:05 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Sway bar bushings.

And you won't feel movement with the suspension unloaded.  Up on ramps, or a drive on hoist

einy (Forum Supporter)
10/24/20 4:17 p.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

Thank you, sir!  

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
10/24/20 5:16 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Sway bar bushings.

Agreed.  Or, endlinks.  

For the vibration, just replace all the motor mounts.  With 177k, they have lived their life.  When I replaced a motor mount that looked OK in our (200k mile at the time, now 249k) Mazda 3, it fixed a squeak that I hadn't been able to figure out for years and made the idle smoother.  

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 SuperDork
10/25/20 8:25 p.m.

I don't know why that didn't come to mind. I'll check bushings. Heck just replace them. They are only a few bucks a piece. 

thank you for the input guys. 

the motor mount might just be done to freshen up things at this mileage

einy (Forum Supporter)
10/26/20 6:45 p.m.
CarKid1989 said:

the motor mount might just be done to freshen up things at this mileage

That is on my winterish list of stuff to do on my '06 also ... doesn't look to be too bad of a job.  Fortunately, I found the two volume factory service manual set at the local 1/2 price book store a couple of months ago for only a couple bucks to walk me thru the process.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
voLheGKSA2jgYBqTIJG6ECYI2fV5JVVmLtxkhfTrqZUm8evN0VICqByS1yL7uD4J