• Fix little items
  • List on bring a trailer with compelling backstory
  • profit

that should pull good $$$

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
6/12/22 5:28 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

It is a story, good until her musician husband of a known 80's band ditched.

Clem was going to be her project vehicle and YouTube channel.  It would have pulled a lot of views due to the nature of her and the subject matter.

I would love to be the background wrench for that project but neither of us have the spare time for it.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/12/22 6:57 p.m.

I was going to say, with a truck like this, a 40 yr old wouldn't stay single long!

This is the quintessential vehicle to buy for your Western Michigan vacation home.  It stays there so you can take it to the Traverse/Charlevoix/Harbor Springs farmer's market on Saturday mornings.  The kids can sit on the tail gate when the 4th fireworks happen down at the municipal park.  

Recent 9.5 Million Lake Charlevoix sale.   Was owned by this Auto Exec.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/12/22 7:06 p.m.

That's absolutely the best color combination for those things too!

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
6/12/22 8:10 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

That's absolutely the best color combination for those things too!

The blue color matches the Chris Craft boat you're pulling.  

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
6/12/22 8:12 p.m.
wawazat said:

Alright I'm interested.  What does the Clem require for a drive across state?

Are you about an hour and a half south of me?

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
6/12/22 8:22 p.m.

Look at that hitch!  AMC sticker on it.

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
6/13/22 7:14 a.m.

I just confirmed with the seller, Clem is ready for a new home.  Initially she just wanted me to give an honest opinion on its value.  She also doesn't really want to deal with selling it.

I'll get it on the lift this week and start fiddling with it.  I'm thinking that a set of plugs, rear brake adjustment and a power steering hose will make Clem real happy.

Tires are from 2003!

With about 20 hours of labor, $300 in parts to get the fiddly bits corrected and a set of white walls, this would be a $30k truck.  Can't wait to get a good look at the underside.

I would love to drive this somewhere and fly home.

Mods, this can get moves to cars for sale now.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/13/22 7:49 a.m.

I wouldn't rush to swap out the tires.  Seeing they are Michelins, they quickly say, "this car received quality parts over the years."  Sure, maybe they are not great for a cross country drive but I suggest that you leave their replacement to "buyer's choice."  I wouldn't rush to spend $1k for similar tires only to find the buyer wants 33's.  And, I wouldn't rush to put on no-namer tires that will only cheapen the overall image of the rig.  I'd leave the tires as is and as testament that the car has been a low mileage queen between now and 2003.

But, I would spend to get another hub cap and the proper window trim.  With those, the car will look "complete".  Spend on an inside/outside detail.  

As for a real For Sale listing, I recommend starting a fresh thread.  If you want, in that fresh thread you can link to this thread for some back story.  

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
6/13/22 8:10 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Good idea, I'll just spit shine the current tires.  I also like when a car comes with well worn but high end tires, it speaks of the seller and lets me choose my own.

I feel the same way about the trim, hubcap, and detail.  Maybe I'll put a little into it for her before putting it up for sale.  The bones are strong with this one, its just some elbow grease away from a 50% increase in value. 

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/13/22 11:02 a.m.

Oh mylanta. I'm in love.

Sucks I'm poor.

calteg
calteg SuperDork
6/13/22 4:54 p.m.

Where in MA? I'm in the state right now, oddly enough

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
6/13/22 5:55 p.m.

Grand Rapids MI

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/13/22 6:13 p.m.

I wouldn't drive it very far or very fast on 20-YO tires

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
6/13/22 10:33 p.m.

Any chance you can say the known 80s band name or is that just too personal? I actually think (depending on the band of course) it may help the resale price.

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
6/14/22 8:52 a.m.

In reply to Feedyurhed :

It is possible that I mixed up my wife's friends.  Also in this situation I would not say who it is. 

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
6/15/22 10:44 a.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

What's up with the soft top on this one?

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
6/15/22 1:30 p.m.
akylekoz said:
wawazat said:

Alright I'm interested.  What does the Clem require for a drive across state?

Are you about an hour and a half south of me?

Yup.  Greater Detroit area. 

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
6/15/22 3:00 p.m.

I found a big vacuum leak, hose disconnected from a can.  And the power steering leak is just the pump o-ring.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
6/15/22 3:52 p.m.

What year is Clem?

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
6/15/22 4:27 p.m.

In reply to wawazat :

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
8/6/22 4:50 p.m.

Update.

I'm replacing the power steering pump and stabilizer.

Reluctantly Clem is going up for sale.

Next  up is spit shine and for sale sign.

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
8/6/22 5:13 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

On the cream puff we just got from my wife's aunt, the 09 tires with zero cracking (never seen much sun) the consensus on here was not to even go out of the neighborhood on them. 
I actually agree with you, with the caveat of a thorough  inspection, and the awareness that they will be hard as a brick bat. Also consider IF they blow out and shed tire parts, what might they damage?

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
8/31/22 2:15 p.m.

I ordered door handle screw and clip kits.  Once those are on Clem is going out in the front yard with sign.  Major opportunity missed last weekend, there was an antique boat show in Pentwater.  All those boats looked like they needed Clem to pull them around.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
8/31/22 3:04 p.m.

You want it gone fast call

https://wagonmaster.com/collections/grand-wagoneer-vehicles

theyll restore it and sell for 6 figures. 

but they rarely buy. Bring a trailer is the best bet. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4juBl4LV0TFU3f2DJyfL8YgEvYKB7ba1j1K7pwCdXR2ShPqi3H7yuAYT7CIM2EfA