1 2
EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/2/16 8:04 p.m.

The first step is to spell Alfa correctly.

Edit: forgot the

thepope540
thepope540 New Reader
5/2/16 8:18 p.m.

Well damn, I tried to edit the title but couldn't so I figured I'd delete and repost. Apparently that's not an option either. I fail at the internet today.

I was doing my normal web surfing of obscure cars and while looking for info about old alphas I stumbled across this GTV.

GTV Restomod

I'd love less front camber but this thing is beautiful and my wife said to me "Why don't you build something like that?" This was followed by partially restrained hmmms and mumbles about a suit and James Bond. All I know is that my life will be better if my next project excites her instead of annoys her. Plus I love vintage Italian styling. The problem is that even basket cases GTVs are $5k. I need to keep my total budget under that. I've considered a MGB GT, but those prices have gone up as well. Can anyone think of anything similar that can still be bought on the cheap? OR is there a generous soul that has one of these sitting behind a barn that they would part with for a good cause?

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/2/16 8:22 p.m.

In reply to EvanB:

Well that's a little rough. You could have at least suggested something from phord, phiat, or perhaps a nice psaab psonnet.

Op, in all actuality, you can still find an mgb GT cheap, but I'd look at Saab sonnet, Opel from the era, or even a corvair.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
5/2/16 8:26 p.m.

Yes, finding a cheap Alfa GTV from that era has been high on my list for a while now.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/2/16 8:29 p.m.

A guy I work with has a GTV project but sometimes I wonder if it is him or his parents in that income tax bracket.

Cheapest one I have seen was the one in CLeveland recently for ~$2000 that was very rough.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/2/16 8:33 p.m.

How cheap? Wasn't, uhhhhh, Alfadriver's car going begging on the classifieds for like a year?

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/2/16 8:46 p.m.

In reply to Duke:

I believe that his car was north of $20k. Unfortunately, truly cheap decent GTVs of this generation seem to have dried up 10+ years ago.

The best thing to do would be find something else from the era or maybe a little later that has yet to skyrocket in value. BMW E21 comes to mind.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
5/2/16 8:50 p.m.

MGB in SE MI for 3700.

I know the seller, but didn't know he was selling his MGB until I did a search on CL. If I were to recommend a used car to buy it would be one of his. He may even have a GM V6 to throw in.

thepope540
thepope540 New Reader
5/2/16 8:53 p.m.

In reply to Duke:

Cheap depends on the car, but since I really want to swap drivetrains for something powerful and modern and I would be painting the car anyway, I want to find a mess for challenge money.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/2/16 8:56 p.m.

Are we talking an Alfetta GTV? Because there is one down the street from me that's for sale, probably sub $1k. It's an Auto, though.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/2/16 9:01 p.m.

You'll have much better luck with the B GT. I've picked one up for free and sold it for $900 - rust free but no engine, perfect for a swap. The gtv is gorgeous but waaay out of your budget.

thepope540
thepope540 New Reader
5/2/16 9:02 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy:

No, I really want to find one of the 105/115 chassis cars.

thepope540
thepope540 New Reader
5/2/16 9:22 p.m.

I just showed my wife pics of everything from the era that I could think of and a really nice corvair got a "maybe" and a Datsun roadster got a reluctant "ok". Everything is too boxy, too long, or has an ugly butt.

markwemple
markwemple SuperDork
5/2/16 9:24 p.m.

I want an Omega GTV

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/2/16 9:30 p.m.
thepope540 wrote: I just showed my wife pics of everything from the era that I could think of and a really nice corvair got a "maybe" and a Datsun roadster got a reluctant "ok". Everything is too boxy, too long, or has an ugly butt.

Ask her to look in the mirror and see if you perhaps made some compromises on looks to get a wife with other more important assets...or reverse it and ask her if she made compromises on looks to wind up with you as her soulmate. Sexy looks don't always make a great long-term relationship...

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/2/16 9:46 p.m.

If you want a 105/115 series Alfa, the cheapest way to get one is to buy a Spider. Everything else is mucho diñero these days.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/2/16 10:56 p.m.

why not an alfetta..

If you want a Fiat.. I will be putting my rust free spider online sometime later this year after I dig out from behind my saab. I just do not have time or the inclination to do a total rebuild of that magnitude

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/3/16 6:48 a.m.

Yes, my car for sale is $20k. And would take some work to make it a usable street car. Say the cage and interior.

A guy from Florida contacted me a while ago about two cars that he had- neither were very good, but it's where the market is these days. If you can find one where only the floors and outer sills (and maybe some of the fenders) are damaged, that can all be replaced at a pretty reasonable cost. But it's still pretty much restoring the car, these days.

I prefer the 105/115 cars to the 116 cars, too- my first Alfa was an Alfetta GT, but not long after starting to autocross it, I yearned for a GTV (the gold one you see). We got that 20 years ago.

If you can find a decent chassis, the engines are identical to the Spiders- and the '75-79 Spiders are close enough to start with in terms of powertrains. They tend to be cheaper (no longer cheap- they are rising in price, too). They also tend to be rustier- thanks to the lack of roof.

Too bad you didn't post this a decade ago. I had a GT Jr that I gave away (was given to me). It was going to be my next Challenge car to be a vintage race car. If I had kept in instead of the car I bought, well.... coulda, woulda, shoulda....

Anyway- your look should be open from any GT from '65 to '74. GT Jr's, too. You can transplant engines really easily. The only issue between the cars is the kind of brakes and clutch. But many love the single headlight look, too.

A quick look on Alfabb and I come up with what you found. Which I'm pretty ok with- I'm pretty sure I can sell my gold car for $30k pretty quickly.

BTW, see if you can drive the cars suggested. There's looks, and then there's living with it. I think my wife and I are fortunate to really enjoy how we fit in our car- they are certainly not for everyone. (I'd replicate what we did to the engine in a heartbeat- wonderful engine- modified just enough to be awesome, but nothing bad or obvious)

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/3/16 6:54 a.m.

BTW, here's the ad for the two cars in Florida. I can dig up the pictures if you want. http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-cars-sale-wanted/395825-two-gtv-projects-sale.html

or this is the important part

Enclosed are the pictures of my Alfa GTV's. The maroon one Is a 73 mod. and completed one. The red one Is A 71 Mod but just a roller parts car. I'll be glad to pay you a finders fee If you help me to sell them, I'm only asking $ 4,500 oo as you know. Regards Mike. Phone # days 8to 5pm (352) 368 1990.
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/3/16 6:55 a.m.

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/5541025803.html

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
5/3/16 7:16 a.m.

What's the going price of Fiat 850 coupes?

Or a VW Type 3 fastback?

RedGT
RedGT Reader
5/3/16 7:18 a.m.

So you're saying when I was gtv6 shopping and found a $3k running/driving/not TOO much rust 105, I was stupid to not buy it?

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/3/16 7:49 a.m.
RedGT wrote: So you're saying when I was gtv6 shopping and found a $3k running/driving/not TOO much rust 105, I was stupid to not buy it?

I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, you should just keep your trap shut...

Storz
Storz SuperDork
5/3/16 8:19 a.m.

GTV on Hemmings for sale, 1500 bucks

1976 Alfa GTV

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/3/16 8:49 a.m.
Storz wrote: GTV on Hemmings for sale, 1500 bucks 1976 Alfa GTV

Wrong one.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.