1 2 3 4
racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
2/10/17 12:23 p.m.

Anyone thinking about applying and are on the fence, keep in mind that Marjorie and Tim have very, very long term employees. That's rare for businesses these days, especially small businesses. They must be doing something right.

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
2/10/17 6:08 p.m.

Take names and contact info off resumes, post them and we will vote.

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
2/10/17 6:12 p.m.

You guys pay for all the insurance I will do short term and long-term new car reviews....

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/10/17 6:21 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: IIn reply to z31maniac: Excellent. And yes, small business is very different. Might as well start you early on that message

As someone that works for a large corporation I'd love to work for a small business where you're allowed to give a E36 M3. Unfortunately I do my best writing with a whiskey in hand so I don't think it'll work out for this situation.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
2/10/17 6:27 p.m.

I would gladly pay insurance and expenses on cars to be able to do short/long term reviews/projects. That's basically what I do now but I get to eat depreciation too.
I know that this job is essentially about monetizing the car hobby to some extent and I don't really want a job, but I'd love to monetize the absurd amount of time I spend writing about my projects on the forum. I CAN be bought.

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
2/10/17 6:59 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

Hey you stole my idea and one upped me lol!!! First thing I'm gonna do when I get hired: ban mazdeuce...

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
2/10/17 7:13 p.m.

In reply to plance1:

I've actually been trying to figure this out for a while. The biggest liability in 'giving' someone a car for a test or an event like One Lap isn't the cost of the car, it's the liability. You die while driving my car, you wife sues. Bad times are had by all.
But what if I actually buy the car? Accept the liability and insure it myself. Now if I put it into a wall I'm the one who's out the money for the car and I have my own hospital bills. I just want you to buy the car back from me at the end of the year for an agreed upon value in exchange for me spending my regular absurd time playing with/writing about it. I don't need to MAKE money, I just need to not steal from my kids college fund by playing with cars. The question is, how do I convince someone this is a good idea? That's where my plan hits a roadblock.
And anyone is free to steal this idea by the way, clearly I'm not doing anything productive with it.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/10/17 7:16 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

I think Doug Demuro already had this idea

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
2/10/17 7:31 p.m.

In reply to RevRico:

Yes, you're probably right. The issue is that you need some amount of fame/journalistic skill to wrangle this sort of thing, but how do you get there? It's kind of like those kids who start in karts at 5 and have parents that support their ascention into racing for years so that by the time someone might pay them about minimum wage to drive at 18 they have had a million or so spent to get there. So ya, I could really spend some time and energy and money trying to prove the concept and develop the skills, or I could just keep drinking coffee and writing forum posts about my own junk for free and let GRM gain from any income that traffic to my innane ramblings might produce. I like that idea best.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/10/17 7:32 p.m.
Stampie wrote:
Marjorie Suddard wrote: IIn reply to z31maniac: Excellent. And yes, small business is very different. Might as well start you early on that message
Unfortunately I do my best writing with a whiskey in hand so I don't think it'll work out for this situation.

I have my suspicions this technique is sometimes used by the GRM staff. That's what editors are for

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
2/10/17 8:16 p.m.

Uh, you hires are the editors. Seriously, I'm going to fix your E36 M3? Nope.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
2/10/17 8:32 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: Uh, you hires are the editors. Seriously, I'm going to fix your E36 M3? Nope.

And I thought I couldn't love you any more than I already do.
In all honesty, high expectations about quality of work would be encouraging to me. That way you KNOW everyone is pulling their weight.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
2/10/17 8:50 p.m.

I more or less gave up on the 'actual factual print magazine job' thing based on my unwillingness to move combined with the coincidence of where I happened to be born and to build all these human connections that a life naturally accumulates.

I'm with Mazdeuce in that i love the thought of others being in a position to pursue this particular 'dream job'. I'm excited for whoever is about to be able to engage their passion at their day job.

Heck, if every student who came through this vocational school was as passionate about cars as the people who are applying for this position probably are, i'd already HAVE my dream job! But while everyone who comes into my class can pass it, not everyone who applies for this job will be selected. Having to pare down a list of talented individuals is probably pretty torturous. When my students flunk out they've truly earned it.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
2/10/17 8:55 p.m.

I'm gonna apply; but, my Twitter brand sucks. Mainly because I don't have one at the moment.

Mental
Mental Mod Squad
2/17/17 12:50 p.m.
RevRico wrote: In reply to mazdeuce: I think Doug Demuro already had this idea

barbarian
barbarian New Reader
2/20/17 10:21 a.m.

Ah, the elusive dream job I should have started in 30 years ago. No matter how much I love cars, racing and travel it has always been something I have paid to do instead of getting paid to do.

stroker
stroker SuperDork
2/21/17 10:40 a.m.

Application deadline?

Marjorie Suddard
2/21/17 10:57 a.m.

We'd like to have all the applications in by the end of the first quarter (this year).

Margie

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
2/21/17 11:26 a.m.

Are you waiting to get them all in before calling people? There are at least a few people sleeping with their phones clutched in their fists hoping for a call from Florida.

Marjorie Suddard
2/21/17 11:56 a.m.

I've already acknowledged receipt of all the resumes, and after that, yeah, we won't schedule any interviews until after everything is in house. So tell them to relax that grip for a few weeks.

Marge

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
2/21/17 12:19 p.m.

Thanks is for that reassurance. People are calmer. Calmer is good.

Marjorie Suddard
2/21/17 1:07 p.m.

Yes, all is good, peoples. :)

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UltraDork
2/22/17 9:25 a.m.
Mental wrote:
RevRico wrote: In reply to mazdeuce: I think Doug Demuro already had this idea

I love that mental came home from racing with the Baruths and Matt Farah to post a meme on here....

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
n0raUMKsgDLW8a7RcOPrGd7EsV5OengOYTn8ye6IGpt4VmCBLWEK7sa5MxGVDbSK