mthomson22
mthomson22 Dork
2/21/13 8:56 a.m.

The door seals on my new, to me, FD RX7 are sooo stiff it makes closing the door extremely difficult, yes even with the widow opened slightly. What have you guys found to really soften up old door seals?

thanks, mark

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
2/21/13 9:02 a.m.

Gummi Phledge, BMW guys swear by it. I was skeptical at first but it softened up the top seals on my M3 'vert enough to stop all leaks.

http://www.amazon.com/einszett-914806-Gummi-Pflege-Rubber/dp/B004B8GTQG

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/21/13 9:02 a.m.
mthomson22 wrote: The door seals on my new, to me, FD RX7 are sooo stiff it makes closing the door extremely difficult, yes even with the widow opened slightly. What have you guys found to really soften up old door seals? thanks, mark

I've had luck with taking some off and soaking them in armor-all for a while. Helps for a few weeks, and then they go back to their normal state or disintegrate. An FD RX7 is probably nice enough to warrant new ones, while they're still available.

As mentioned, Gummi is good on German rubber. It worked well on my old E28. Japanese stuff seems to respond less, but it doesn't hurt.

mthomson22
mthomson22 Dork
2/21/13 9:16 a.m.

Thanks guys, At $8 I'm going to try the Gummi, I've got a couple other vehicles that could benefit from that too.

mark

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
2/21/13 9:37 a.m.

I've used Honda Shin-Etsu with good results, but I'm going to try the Gummi Phledge next time. I hear good things about it. The Shin-Etsu does work well. Keeps the T Tops on our '91 MR2 in good shape and seems to keep the doors from freezing shut on really cold mornings.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/21/13 10:20 a.m.
fast_eddie_72 wrote: I've used Honda Shin-Etsu with good results, but I'm going to try the Gummi Phledge next time. I hear good things about it. The Shin-Etsu does work well. Keeps the T Tops on our '91 MR2 in good shape and seems to keep the doors from freezing shut on really cold mornings.

Anything that will keep your butt dry in a 91 MR2 must be good stuff. So tempted to spend $400 on top seals every time there is a puddle in mine. Vaseline works for a while.

Lesley
Lesley PowerDork
2/21/13 10:37 a.m.

I've heard of people using Simple Green to soften up tires, anyone try it on seals? Since I've always owned old cars, I keep a can of spray silicone for the seals, especially in winter.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
2/21/13 1:54 p.m.

For softening hard rubber, I've really yet to beat sunshine on a warm day combined with Armor-all.

Really.

STP Sonofagun comes in at second, and everything else much further back.

And in the winter, a shot of silicone spray (or grease) on the rag, wipe the seals, and I can open the door when drops below freezing after it rains.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7NJYlkdIz5urAusVvw5abwjwbvamtlDHT2PUgdWtm68JNozFtxrEIC1kmdbitNyd