gunner (Forum Supporter)
gunner (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/18/21 1:49 p.m.

Short story, 2008 Pontiac G8 v6 that has P0017 and P0018 engine codes and in this car it can mean either the camshaft position sensor is bad or it needs a timing chain. Bank 1 sensor B and Bank 2 sensor A. Taking the cheap route I saw on youtube where you can test the sensors with the car running with a voltmeter and got Bank 1 A- 2.7mV, Bank 1 B-3.6mV, Bank 2 A-1.7mV, Bank 2 B-2.7mV. What that looks like is possibly the referenced banks with the codes, one is high and one is low, so could possibly be the sensors  in range or not. are the actual problem. Or, all the sensors are in range and it needs a timing chain. The problem is I can't find ANY information online to indicate if they are in range or not so I'm hoping you all can clue me in to either where to look or if you have the info, post it up for me. So far Ive looked in google, also the GM service manual which is available online, tried autozone, since they own Alldata, and a place called pontiac workshop manuals. I cant find the info I think I need and I'm at a dead end.

edit to add from backprobe while car was running. and AC not DC

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/18/21 2:59 p.m.

You test sensors with a scope, not a voltmeter, which is probably why you cannot find information.  A voltmeter won't show you if the pattern is hashy or dropping out, or the correlation to the crank sensor.

gunner (Forum Supporter)
9/18/21 7:36 p.m.

Well that would explain a lot. Also one youtube subscription cancelled.

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/18/21 7:45 p.m.

You may be able to diag if you have two sensors and have a freq setting on your meter. They should match. You can also likely remove the sensor from the motor and stick it to metal and see if it changes output (works with hall sensors, not vr)

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/18/21 7:56 p.m.

You could also do Sesame Street diagnosis.  Swap the sensors to the other bank and see if the problem follows the sensors.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/18/21 9:31 p.m.

Is that a 3.6?  If the rear bank is setting cam sensor codes, that sure does point at chain troubles.

gunner (Forum Supporter)
9/18/21 11:23 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Is that a 3.6?  If the rear bank is setting cam sensor codes, that sure does point at chain troubles.

it is. I was trying to confirm before I gave the prognosis to the owners. They are trying to get rid of the car.

gunner (Forum Supporter)
9/18/21 11:24 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

You could also do Sesame Street diagnosis.  Swap the sensors to the other bank and see if the problem follows the sensors.

Wow . thanks for that. I had forgotten about that simple test.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lx64hyPCgY23GMmmY0f42ECHApU94CaHFi5O32ekFcrRa4jqt2CcZfcF3tAsvHvq