1 2 3
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/8/10 10:26 p.m.

Today, I called my wife at work and the conversation went something like this:

Me: "Hey, do we have anything planned for this weekend?"

Her: "No. Why?"

Me: "I found some race car parts that I'd like to buy and I was thinking about driving out to see the guy on Sunday.

(Long pause)

He's in Pennsylvania."

Her: "Yeah, Sunday's fine."

Me: "Okay, thanks. I'll see you tonight. Love you. Bye."

Spitsix
Spitsix GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/8/10 10:47 p.m.

Long pauses can be expensive!

z31maniac
z31maniac Dork
1/9/10 12:33 a.m.

Wish it was that easy, not even engaged yet

plance1
plance1 HalfDork
1/9/10 12:57 a.m.

are you going to post any pics?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
1/9/10 1:19 a.m.

of the parts?

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Reader
1/9/10 1:38 a.m.
plance1 wrote: are you going to post any pics?
aussiesmg wrote: of the parts?

Duh, what else would he post pictures of?

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/9/10 6:21 a.m.
HiTempguy wrote:
plance1 wrote: are you going to post any pics?
Duh, what else would he post pictures of?

The Wife.

unevolved
unevolved Reader
1/9/10 8:20 a.m.

It's hard to find girls that are OK with the shenanigans that accompany this addiction.

The other day, I was driving down the highway, and saw an absolute piece of E36 M3 Miata parked on the side of the road with a For Sale sign. We're talking rattle can paint job, rag top made of non-Mazda plastic, mailing tape, and hopes and dreams. The car was a piece of work. So, naturally, I turn around to go take a closer look. First thing she asked me was how much the guy wanted for it.

If she can get out of classes (it's not excused for her ) she wants to come to the '10 Challenge with our team. And we're OK with a female presence.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
1/9/10 8:31 a.m.

My girlfriend has witnessed the growth of my car addiction. (our first date was about 3 days after I got my license). So far, she has been extremely cool with it. She has seen Grand Prix (and liked it), she has gone to ALMS races at Road America, and Belle Isle, the last USGP at Indy, and watches F1 with me every weekend that it is on. She will also commonly sit in the garage and talk to me or hand me tools while I work.

I love her...

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
1/9/10 8:49 a.m.

I wonder why so many 'significant others' are so opposed to people having and doing something they care about. Why would anyone keep someone around who wasn't respectful of them pursuing things that make them happy?

I cannot tell you how many times I have heard "Your wife must be a saint to put up with you" because I turn up at the track on a holiday weekend or I show up in/on a different contraption every third time. She isn't a saint. She just knows that resistance is futile. I give her passions similar acceptance when they don't overlap with things I enjoy. When they do overlap we do them together.

plance1
plance1 HalfDork
1/9/10 9:54 a.m.

Parts?? Why would we want pictures of a bunch of parts?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
1/9/10 10:12 a.m.

The guy I bought my Europa from, the current one, not the first one, said to my wife (as we were winching the car up on the trailer) "You good to put up with this stuff. I lost a wife to this."

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/9/10 10:16 a.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: The guy I bought my Europa from, the current one, not the first one, said to my wife (as we were winching the car up on the trailer) "You good to put up with this stuff. I lost a wife to this."

reminds me of the bumper sticker on the back of the big enclosed trailer behind the crew-cab dually:

"My wife said it's either her or the car. Funny, I don't miss her one bit."

minimac
minimac Dork
1/9/10 10:26 a.m.
unevolved wrote: .......saw an absolute piece of E36 M3 Miata parked on the side of the road with a For Sale sign. We're talking rattle can paint job, rag top made of non-Mazda plastic, mailing tape, and hopes and dreams. The car was a piece of work. So, naturally, I turn around to go take a closer look.

This deserves to make the magazine! I think it describes most of us.

EricM
EricM Dork
1/9/10 10:38 a.m.

This is why my wife is cool (in addition to about 1,000 other things) over the course of our marrage I have done this:

Bug

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Over the course of that time period, she has had a 1993 Saturn SL2, a 1996 GM Minivan, and is now driving a 2005 Saturn Relay.

the only thing is, when they look like this, she askes me to sell them:

Photobucket

Seh is a good gal, we celebrate 20 years in june and are taking the Jeep and the RV to Alaska.

wheels777
wheels777 HalfDork
1/9/10 11:27 a.m.

My wife has her own Craftsman tool set and tool box. This year alone, she went to the salvage yard with out me at least 5 times. And, all the salepeople at the speed shop and the local parts stores know her by name...... Yes, I am bragging!!!

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
1/9/10 11:37 a.m.

+1 to the "Why would you MARRY a woman that doesn't get your car addiction?" Mine just asks that I don't have any more than 1 non-running vehicles at any one time, and that she always has something she can take to work.

GR40RACER
GR40RACER New Reader
1/10/10 12:44 a.m.

It took my wife about 10 years to get over it, we've been married 15 years, the last 5 have been the best

Pat
Pat New Reader
1/10/10 5:43 a.m.

Way back when before we were married, I saw an ad for a Shelby GLHS about 30 miles from where I lived. The problem was that it was Valentines Day, we had plans for the day.

I mentioned that it looked like a good deal and I wanted to take a look at it sometime during the week after work. She suggested we ditch our V Day plans and get up there before it disappears.

That was the first of many Shelby Dodges to pass through our garage.

She's cool. And cute. And no, I'm not posting pictures.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
1/10/10 6:19 a.m.

I 've got a hazel-eyed rehaeaded Irish girl that thinks nothing of changing a tire or sliding under a vehicle on cardboard. Getting greasy is no big deal to her, and she has her own tools. No pix, but I think I'll keep her.

4eyes
4eyes Reader
1/10/10 8:07 a.m.

A woman who does not share your passions is not a wife. To live your life with such a woman, would be akin to living in a prison.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
1/10/10 8:21 a.m.

That is the most creative canoe i've ever seen. Anywhere.

confuZion3
confuZion3 SuperDork
1/10/10 9:30 a.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote: That is the most creative canoe i've ever seen. Anywhere.

Yeaup, I second that. Wow.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/10/10 9:24 p.m.

Getting back on track here....

Saturday morning, she made the mistake of asking me what kind of race car parts I was buying. She followed that up with, "Which car are they for?"

When my answer didn't match any of the cars currently in the garage, she went from cool to kind of chilly.

I went to Pennsylvania anyway.

abumason
abumason New Reader
1/10/10 9:32 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote:
Dr. Hess wrote: The guy I bought my Europa from, the current one, not the first one, said to my wife (as we were winching the car up on the trailer) "You good to put up with this stuff. I lost a wife to this."
reminds me of the bumper sticker on the back of the big enclosed trailer behind the crew-cab dually: "My wife said it's either her or the car. Funny, I don't miss her one bit."

Saw something similiar, it said something "Rally - cheaper than a wife"

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Zbre0E119HV8KGBXZJjZ3N27xUtqoQsnX9M3p2rdsvzs1DNam1XfwkTGr817j0GA