Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
2/11/23 7:22 p.m.

It's a 1987 XJS-SC pulled from a field in Oklahoma. With  T-top. What is an SC? I didn't know these came with T tops.

2/11/23 7:23 p.m.

2/11/23 7:24 p.m.

2/11/23 7:28 p.m.

It runs. Possible Challenge Car?

Would I make it all the way to Florida?

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
2/11/23 8:26 p.m.

Well it's a semi convertible.  A sort of T top.  326 cu inch  V12  GM turbo 400 transmission. 
 Dana 44 IRS with 2:88 final drive  4600 pounds. Great handling luxury car. 
          The engine itself is nearly bullet proof but it's an early EFI.  No OBD2   so sorting out the EFI is going to be a little more complex.   but there is plenty of free information  on the Jaguar Forum. 
      Ask any question you want.  I'll be glad to help.  
       Open the hood and it will scare the poop out of you. Don't let it. 
   It's really not that bad.  Scary but it's the best engine I've ever worked on. ( I've been working on engines since  about 1955.   Parts are really cheap. And plenty available used. Not so good about new parts but whatever you do don't go near a dealer for them.  
  All the principles for every  engine you've ever worked on are the same.  
  If the body has rust holes, walk away!    Running?  It's worth as much as a grand, not running? $3-500

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
2/11/23 8:50 p.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) :

If it runs well now and you follow my instructions , sure!  That and a lot more.   My instructions will focus on the cheap things. That absolutely need attention.

When I was about 15 I bought a Cadillac that had an engine fire and melted all the wires.  I found the good end of one wire and traced to to the other good end. Then connected a new piece of black wire  to whatever color the originals were.  Later in the day I put a fresh battery in, turned the key and it started ( yes, I had replaced the carb).   
   I knew next to nothing about wiring. Not even enough to read a wiring diagram.    ( and even use the right color wire) 

The point is there are easy ways and hard ways.  Keep your life simple.  

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
2/12/23 4:42 p.m.
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) said:

It's a 1987 XJS-SC pulled from a field in Oklahoma. With  T-top. What is an SC? I didn't know these came with T tops.

That car has European headlights.  You won't find any at auto parts store or the dealers.   So you're stuck with  places like Moss Motors oops NLA   Well maybe Welsch or Terry's Jag. ( doubtful. )  you might have to get them out of England. Then they won't comply with American rules.  But I doubt Officer Barney will be able to know about that. 
  Ok you can swap  the 2 bulb headlites  for 4 bulb headlights  probably for a lot less than even a single bulb  will cost. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
he1GZd9ZvS1XAdy3wV6aWy6USnXOaZLJFctbSB0qoJ0RRj7wt9wWEgZLqBz57RXh