1 ... 5 6 7 8 9
bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
6/28/16 11:26 a.m.

As it sits, buy back today (I've done the math 4 times, and had SWMBO figure it too) we'd be making money.

That's not figuring interest we've paid on the loan to date, but even guesstimating interest, we'd at worst break even.

Storz
Storz SuperDork
6/28/16 11:31 a.m.

The second that https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/ goes live I am registering

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi Reader
6/28/16 12:37 p.m.
Storz wrote: The second that https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/ goes live I am registering

It is live now. I put in my information. There isn't really any info on the site but they will email you when things get updated.

Storz
Storz SuperDork
6/28/16 12:44 p.m.
Devilsolsi wrote:
Storz wrote: The second that https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/ goes live I am registering
It is live now. I put in my information. There isn't really any info on the site but they will email you when things get updated.

I guess thats what I meant, in July when you can get the actual buyback/compensation amount

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi Reader
6/28/16 12:46 p.m.
Storz wrote:
Devilsolsi wrote:
I guess thats what I meant, in July when you can get the actual buyback/compensation amount

Ah gotcha.

I went through the FTC link on the previous page. Looks like I would be somewhere around $21K if that is accurate.

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/29/16 9:02 p.m.

Looks like I'm at just under $15k. $5k if I keep the car hand have it "fixed". I bought it for $16k OTD with 88k miles just over two years ago and put maybe $4k into it (maintenance and upgrades). I'm at 163k miles so I'm leaning towards buyback and getting something lower mileage. I'd remove some parts and return to stock and sell the aftermarket stuff if possible. I just have no idea what I'd buy next...but that's for another thread.

Storz
Storz SuperDork
6/30/16 6:46 a.m.
PMRacing wrote: Looks like I'm at just under $15k. $5k if I keep the car hand have it "fixed". I bought it for $16k OTD with 88k miles just over two years ago and put maybe $4k into it (maintenance and upgrades). I'm at 163k miles so I'm leaning towards buyback and getting something lower mileage. I'd remove some parts and return to stock and sell the aftermarket stuff if possible. I just have no idea what I'd buy next...but that's for another thread.

Absolutely go for the buyback, you won't get close to what VW is offering for it selling privately and if you keep it you'll be forced to accept whatever "fix" is in the works. Keep in mind you get 15k buyback + the 5k compensation.

Lots of little cars out there now get a zillion miles per gallon, lots to choose from.

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
6/30/16 12:08 p.m.

One of the things I read was the if VW gets to something like 80-85% either buy back and/or fixed cars; if they do come up with a fix that the EPA approves; they don't have to do anything with that last 15% of the "dirty diesels" that may still be on the road. I could have read it wrong but that's what I got from the article I read.

The owner of those cars still get the money for the loss of value, don't have to have their cars "fixed", and can keep on driving them if they desire.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/30/16 2:26 p.m.

In reply to jimbbski:

False. No unfixed cars will be allowed on the road. The targeted number of buybacks is 85%. That means only 15% will be fixed. There are penalties to VW for every percentage point under 85 that they don't buy back, so you better believe they'll be getting all of them they can.

Word on supplier street is still no fix, 100% eventual buyback.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/30/16 4:05 p.m.
The $2017/2018 Grassroots Motorsports Challenge will be brought to you by the overabundant qty. of tiny turbos awash in the yards from junked VW's.

If there isn't a quad-turbo lsx truck motor with these, I'm going to be very disappointed.

rslifkin
rslifkin HalfDork
6/30/16 4:38 p.m.
bluej wrote:
The $2017/2018 Grassroots Motorsports Challenge will be brought to you by the overabundant qty. of tiny turbos awash in the yards from junked VW's.
If there isn't a quad-turbo lsx truck motor with these, I'm going to be very disappointed.

Why stop at 4? Just run 1 turbo per cylinder!

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/2/16 7:51 a.m.

So I'm trying to do the math, but have found contradicting documents.

One document states

4. Benefits for Eligible Owner. Except as otherwise provided in the Class Action Agreement, Eligible Owners choosing a Buyback shall receive the sum of the Vehicle Value and Owner Restitution,... (Under Court Documents -> Class Action Settlement -> Exhibit 1 sec 4 on VW Court Settlement )

Then I find another document that states that the price listed in the buyback column is the price of buyback including owner restitution (Under Court Documents -> Class Action Settlement -> Exhibit 6 on VW Court Settlement)

So the way I am calculating for a 2011 Golf TDI, current mileage of 165k and sunroof in Central region I can get between $15k and $20K. Thats's kind of a big deal. I'd really like that extra $5K.

Storz
Storz SuperDork
7/27/16 9:11 a.m.

VWCourtSettlement

Now live, you can register for the buyback or modification as of today. Just did mine :)

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/27/16 12:19 p.m.

Just went through the process too. Buyback offer is ~$22,400 for our 2012 TDI wagon with ~60k miles. Approximate buyback date is 11/1/2016.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
7/27/16 1:03 p.m.

Our current plan is to take the buy back on our current Sportwagen, but in the mean time we'll buy a much cheaper used TDI Jetta or Sportwagen to replace it, and accept the eventual "fix" on it. Going to look at a very reasonably priced '10 Sedan this weekend actually.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/27/16 2:05 p.m.

In reply to bigdaddylee82:

There will be no fix. If you buy a TDI after the scandal date, you are entitled to half of the compensation, and the owner of record on the date gets the other half.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
7/27/16 3:01 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

I used:

Don't tell me you can't read my mind and/or infer meaning from my implied statement.

We've been through the gauntlet of cars potentially worthy enough to replace ours with, I've had a few "what car" and "learn me" threads even. Nothing comes close, so we'll take the buy-back on ours we bought new, buy a used replacement, and still come out ahead. If there's any money to be had as compensation for the used car we buy, it'll just be icing on the soot covered, NOx flavored cake.

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
7/27/16 3:16 p.m.

In reply to bigdaddylee82:

Why in Gods name would they sell it to you when they can sell it to VW?

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
7/27/16 4:04 p.m.

Talk about getting hosed in this deal....

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
7/27/16 4:05 p.m.

Everything i've heard about the recent agreement makes it sound like a total windfall for a bunch of people who probably didn't care much about the scandal to begin with. Makes me wish i had bought one instead of the uber reliable and actually clean Prius that gets better mpg and costs less to own (soon to change now that a bunch of people are getting free money for being a TDI owner). I coulda had a manual AND a buyback offer!

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
7/27/16 4:16 p.m.

In reply to bastomatic:

I don't know, but I'm not bringing it up. There are a lot of used CR TDIs available still, a lot of buy here pay here lots picked up trade ins at auction, and have been setting on them for close to a year or longer now. I'm not sure how the buy-back works between used dealers and VW, I'd expect if it were more lucrative/possible the dealer would be unloading them on VW's dime. That doesn't seem to be the case, and if it's a possibility, I'm sure not going to tell them about it. I want to be the sucker that buys that car no one has been able to sell, because John Q. Public thinks VW diesels are the devil's chariot.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/27/16 4:45 p.m.

In reply to bigdaddylee82: Don't complain when your state decides not to renew your registration. Thus letting you waste whatever you spent on the car...

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/27/16 5:24 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: In reply to bigdaddylee82: Don't complain when your state decides not to renew your registration. Thus letting you waste whatever you spent on the car...

Has something like this ever happened?

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
7/27/16 5:58 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver:

VW only has to achieve 85% buy-back or fix to satisfy the recall, hence VW making the buy-back price hard to pass up. Once they've achieved 85%+ all else is moot, so there won't be a fix, or anything else to make a stink about.

On top of that, I live in Arkansas, it's still a free state, and will be for the foreseeable future.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/27/16 7:55 p.m.
Slippery wrote:
alfadriver wrote: In reply to bigdaddylee82: Don't complain when your state decides not to renew your registration. Thus letting you waste whatever you spent on the car...
Has something like this ever happened?

Not that I'm aware of, but I can't say that it won't happen. It's a pretty easy thing to do, after all. Just pointing out the possibility.

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
omIjCbPIqfhzLSTb8znEFf6XkqnifkZPJXQmrxH3zOZMKwGaVGjNiyNLCPQNQPj8