1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 26
79rex
79rex Reader
3/21/20 2:11 p.m.
Professor_Brap said:

Pittsburgh 3/8 rachet big ol pass. Same quality as my snapon version of this. About 2 years old and never skips a beat and keeps on going. 

Ill give this one a big pass as well.  I use it daily.  never let me down. Had it for about 3 years now

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
3/22/20 7:58 p.m.

Two tests were conducted this weekend with two Hammer Store tools.

Brake Bleeding Kit: PASS.

Used this yesterday to bleed the brakes on my Mazda. There's two main components to the kit: a part that hooks up to an air compressor, and a part that feeds fluid into the master cylinder. The part that goes on the master cylinder has a bunch of adapters to fit the reservoir. You hook the tube on the gun to the bleeder, and while closed, squeeze the trigger for a few seconds to create a vacuum, crack the bleeder, and squeeze until solid fluid comes out. Repeat on all the wheels using your car's bleed pattern, and you're good to go. It works better than the old handheld Mighty-Vac I had, since it's air assisted. Only gripe I have is that the reservoir feeder is kinda useless; it didn't work well on my car, and it won't work at all on older stuff with the steel reservoir (like both of my other project vehicles). Not a deal breaker at all, and I'd recommend it.

Tap & Die Sets (SAE and Metric): PASS, I THINK?

Bought both the cheaper SAE and Metric sets, which were cheaper together than buying the joint SAE/Metric kit, which makes no sense. Used it to re-thread a hole in the cast aluminum heel plate of my DW bass pedal.

It worked, but I felt like if I used this thing on something more substantial, it would screw it up. Also, getting the handle tight enough around the bit was a bit sketchy. But it DID work, so there's that. Wasn't expecting much at this price, and it did do the job, so it gets a pass. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/22/20 8:16 p.m.

Baxter 1/2 x 18 finger sander. Enthusiastic Pass.

It's a good bit more expensive than the CP version. Works flawlessly. I should have bought one of these years ago. 

boxedfox
boxedfox Reader
3/22/20 8:26 p.m.

Bauer Cordless 20v Blower. Definite Pass. Also my new favorite power tool.

It's compact, it's powerful, and it's light enough that my 3 year old can swing it around. Fantastic for blowing the dust out of the garage, keeping cars clean, and for speed-drying things after I've washed them.

If there was a downside, it would be that it needs the bigger battery, not the slim 20v one, in order to run for longer than 10-15 mins.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/22/20 8:43 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

I've got the electric version (on my second one, cheap enough to just keep buying), if you want to eat through welds and mild steel pick up a box of 3M belts (cubitron II 36 grit), the harbor freight ones are good for removing paint but not much more.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/28/20 8:19 p.m.
Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/28/20 8:28 p.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 :

I have. It seems to work ok, I got it mounted on my shed roof hooked to a mower battery

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
4/1/20 1:20 p.m.
boxedfox said:

It's compact, it's powerful, and it's light enough that my 3 year old can swing it around. Fantastic for blowing the dust out of the garage, keeping cars clean, and for speed-drying things after I've washed them.

If there was a downside, it would be that it needs the bigger battery, not the slim 20v one, in order to run for longer than 10-15 mins.

I literally opened this thread to ask about this tool.  Thanks!!

Brian
Brian MegaDork
4/2/20 7:52 p.m.

Pass, 8 piece watch repair kit 91622

For $7 you get

good; spring bar tool, 2 tweezers,case knife

ok; screw type case tool, flat and Phillips screwdrivers 

cheap; plastic magnifying glass, tool roll

Definitely a good start for working on watches and a marked improvement over making due with a Swiss Army knife. 

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/2/20 8:24 p.m.
79rex said:
Professor_Brap said:

Pittsburgh 3/8 rachet big ol pass. Same quality as my snapon version of this. About 2 years old and never skips a beat and keeps on going. 

Ill give this one a big pass as well.  I use it daily.  never let me down. Had it for about 3 years now

I have the longer handle version of this, and love it. It's now my go-to ratchet, and I even keep my 1/2" adapter on it and use it with my 1/2 sockets.

thedoc
thedoc GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/10/20 10:49 a.m.

Pittsburgh Grommet pliers.  Total absolute fail.  Maybe if you were putting grommets in paper, or you didn't use the supplied grommets.  Even for the three or four dollars, do not bother.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/27/20 9:13 a.m.

Pittsburg 450lb low rise transmission jack.  Solid fail, living up to the old 'hammer store' moniker.

This is my Boxster ZF Auto trans.  Now, admittedly it's a damn heavy trans, but no where near close to the supposed capacity.  The material is all so thin with such poor tolerance that any slightly off center mass causes it to bend and topple.  I hadn't notice the bearing pulling out of it's track until looking at the photo later.  

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/27/20 9:23 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

if you need it, you can borrow my motorcycle lift that i use for crossmembers and such.  it's a much wider and sturdier parallelogram linkage than that POS you've got.  I'll need it back in about a week though.

4/27/20 9:25 a.m.

Ooooo, got a pic, what's the collapsed height? 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
4/27/20 9:27 a.m.

Hf vibratory tumbler: caught fire about 6 hours in. Fail.

ebelements
ebelements Reader
4/27/20 9:29 a.m.

FWIW I have that same trans jack, and it's been a trooper. It held up my former liberty's manual trans for weeks and I've also used it as a support for everything from exhaust installs to motorcycles to holding up floating wall cabinets. Not sure what was going on above but I think it might not have been 100% the tool's fault.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/27/20 9:51 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) said:

Ooooo, got a pic, what's the collapsed height? 

about 4-3/4" to top of rubber pads.  they might be removable, i never tried.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/27/20 10:43 a.m.

In reply to ebelements :

I've got that one too.  Used it with two transmissions so far, no problems.  I had an ATV jack that I used to use but the issue with that is getting the angle right for reinstalling them, especially manual transmissions.  The HF jack solved that problem, it was easier to get the correct angle on the transmission for reinstall. 

4/28/20 8:42 a.m.

So another HF fail on the way to borrow Patrick's bike jack.  The E36 M3ty coupler on my new HF trailer jumped off the ball when I hit a big pothole on the freeway.  The coupler was close and the pin was in.  It was still in the closed position with the pin in place when I came to a stop on the shoulder.  The tolerance stack up  is obviously way off if this could happen.  I'll be ordering a new coupler from eTrailer ASAP.

Below is the offending piece.  This was once back home safe and sound, I wasn't going to snap pics on the shoulder of the freeway.  This is exactly how it was when it came off, pin and split pin, so there's no way it opened up, it must just be so E36 M3ty that a big bump could alow the ball to come out.  Dangerous E36 M3.  Luckily I was unladen.

oldopelguy (Forum Supporter)
oldopelguy (Forum Supporter) UberDork
4/28/20 8:59 a.m.

Was it adjuted tight? There's a nut on the bottom to adjust the slop out of the latch, and hardly anyone ever uses it. 

Also, that is a 2" coupler, which I have actually never seen on a HF trailer before.  Any chance you had it on a 1 7/8 ball?

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/28/20 9:12 a.m.
boxedfox said:

Any chance a DeWalt 20V would snap into that?  

fidelity101 (Forum Supporter)
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/28/20 9:13 a.m.

I really hate their sockets, they stick on to bolts/nuts and can be difficult to separate. The frustration is not worth the price. Its as if they arent really the size they say they are (worn tooling)

however their zip ties are far more economical than the lowes/home depot so there is a small win there...

4/28/20 9:45 a.m.
oldopelguy (Forum Supporter) said:

Was it adjuted tight? There's a nut on the bottom to adjust the slop out of the latch, and hardly anyone ever uses it. 

Also, that is a 2" coupler, which I have actually never seen on a HF trailer before.  Any chance you had it on a 1 7/8 ball?

Good point on the nut.  No I haven't.

YEs, it's 100% a 2" ball as its the same draw bar and ball I use for our pop up camper, which went to Florida and back no trouble.  

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/28/20 10:06 a.m.

In reply to A 401 CJ :

There are battery adapters. I've seen them on Amazon, and in use on YouTube, but have never seen them mentioned here or anywhere else. There are enough to connect any battery to any tool, and I've been very interested, but have been waiting until someone or somewhere I know and respect uses them before I bite the bullet and buy them

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/28/20 10:28 a.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to A 401 CJ :

There are battery adapters. I've seen them on Amazon, and in use on YouTube, but have never seen them mentioned here or anywhere else. There are enough to connect any battery to any tool, and I've been very interested, but have been waiting until someone or somewhere I know and respect uses them before I bite the bullet and buy them

Could you post a link to some of these? I did a quick look but couldn't find them.

1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 26

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zDNvVW34XwVr30xks63uGMGLHuOEVEGp7M39SFhSnkTzeSxDkE1yGrcnTkbyRzcW