JBasham
JBasham Reader
8/23/16 11:36 a.m.

So, a few months back I managed to identify a 15" high performance tire that didn't have the usual warning against using/storing them at near-freezing temps.

Of course, I didn't write it down, and now I can't remember what it was.

It wasn't a "premium" OE tire like a Pilot Super Sport or a Continental DW. It was in the next category up, a pretty seriously sticky tire.

If anybody has the name handy, please share, and thanks.

trucke
trucke Dork
8/23/16 12:57 p.m.

I do not know of the tire you speak. I could not find them when I looked. But if you remember, they probably do not come in the size I need.

NickD
NickD Dork
8/23/16 12:59 p.m.

I accidentally stored my ZII Star Specs outside last winter and moved the car on them. They are hard as a rock this year and never get sticky. Whoops

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/23/16 1:02 p.m.

Meh, I drove my R888s to a track day one frosty morning.

It was 29° out when I left. Probably still only in the 30s for the first session.

No issues.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/23/16 2:37 p.m.

I have some rivals and some Hankook RS3 V2 that spent the winter in my garage. They have little cracks and splits all through the tread now....

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/23/16 6:43 p.m.

I would call tire rack and ask. They have been great when I call them and ask what I think are off the wall questions.

einy
einy Reader
8/24/16 6:08 a.m.

I'm curious ... you are not supposed to 'store' certain tires at low temperatures? I can see not using them (due to lack of grip while in use if they are not up to temperature), but what happens when they are stored at low temps that becomes a permanent change when temps come back up?

Rodan
Rodan New Reader
8/24/16 9:15 a.m.

I have ZIIs (not *spec) as 'street' tires on my NA Miata. It's not a DD, but does get driven year round, and has been stored outside during the winter. We don't have winter like some places, but here in the AZ mountains we do get snow, and it's not uncommon to have overnight temps in the 20s and even into the teens. I have not observed any tire degradation due to the cold temps. My R Comps (NT-01 and RE-71R) do get stored inside...

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
8/24/16 9:23 a.m.

The big thing to watch for is to not force an aggressive tire to flex (by moving the car, etc.) if it's really cold. That can cause cracking if you're below the point where the rubber starts to pretty much act like glass.

JBasham
JBasham Reader
8/24/16 2:06 p.m.
Rodan wrote: I have ZIIs (not *spec) as 'street' tires on my NA Miata. It's not a DD, but does get driven year round, and has been stored outside during the winter. We don't have winter like some places, but here in the AZ mountains we do get snow, and it's not uncommon to have overnight temps in the 20s and even into the teens. I have not observed any tire degradation due to the cold temps. My R Comps (NT-01 and RE-71R) do get stored inside...

You know, I'm pretty sure it must have been the Zii and I glossed over the fact they're discontinued for a couple years now. Oh well.

Rodan
Rodan New Reader
8/24/16 2:26 p.m.
JBasham wrote: You know, I'm pretty sure it must have been the Zii and I glossed over the fact they're discontinued for a couple years now. Oh well.

I guess I hadn't realized they'd been discontinued. I guess I'll be looking myself... probably have a year left on the current set, though. Longer if I don't get the VVT swap finished.

Secret_Chimp
Secret_Chimp New Reader
8/24/16 2:30 p.m.

I used General Exclaim UHPs as my only set on my Miata for about 2-3 years in Seattle until they got too hard to use in the winter.

JBasham
JBasham Reader
8/25/16 11:32 a.m.

My next best option seems to be good old Yoko S Drives. Can't complain about the price, that's for sure ($88 shipped from DTD). Can even get 195/205 for that staggered look

Rodan
Rodan New Reader
8/25/16 12:24 p.m.

I have had S.Drives on my NA, and just put a second set on as the daily tire on the wife's NC. Very good all 'round tire that works well in colder temps and rain (we don't drive it when it snows), and offers decent performance through summer. They are pretty easy to get greasy if pushed hard, and I wouldn't want to use them for AutoX or track. Great street tire, though, especially for the $$. Only real complaint is they get pretty noisy as they wear, but I expect that with most summer tires.

Snrub
Snrub Reader
8/25/16 1:44 p.m.

I had it in my head there was a 180/200TW tire which had a stipulation that you could not store them below freezing, while all of the others suggested you could not store them near or below freezing. Am I out to lunch?

Theoretically that difference could have a large impact in practicality. Where I live it has snowed in May/September before and it's not uncommon to have a snowfall in October. It doesn't last, but cold snaps happen. True snow conditions are ~3.5-4 months/year. If 41F/5C is the cutoff, it suggests the tire can only be on a vehicle which is outside (sitting or driven) for ~3.5 months of the year. I'd suggest most of the NE/great lake states are in a fairly similar boat.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dC1ixyGYzRbkJbVMYOn16bBddqQhCzBByveVv5Yge0tDno1yIHxk84D9Q5AvRtZc