M030
M030 HalfDork
7/1/12 8:57 p.m.

To get my most recent derelict 944 project running, I had to figure out a way to clean the old gas and crud out of the fuel injectors. New ones are too expensive, so...

To some of you, this process might be old hat. But to me, it was pretty ingenious.

Here's what I did. It worked awesome! The car runs great now.

Remove injectors

Press a piece of appropriately sized vinyl hose over the fuel-in side of the injector

Fill said vinyl hose with carburetor cleaner

Point fuel injector into a cup or can, etc

Connect fuel injector to 9V battery using jumper wires.

Injector should click. If it doesn't, it's dead. Throw it away and try another one.

If it clicks, insert air nozzle into end of vinyl hose

Pressurize carb cleaner in hose to approximately 5-6psi

Continue until injector sprays nice and clean

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Reader
7/1/12 9:56 p.m.

For berkeleying real?????

TWO D&D cups (show off) , of course it runs good.

Simple and it works, good job.

Paul B

M030
M030 HalfDork
10/19/12 10:20 p.m.

Check this out: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/hillbilly-fuel-injector-cleaning/51417/page1/

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/19/12 10:35 p.m.

Clever! What size hose is that, 1/2"? Those injectors look much like my Saab's.

M030
M030 HalfDork
10/20/12 6:52 a.m.

I don't rember the size of the hose. I took an injector with me to the hardware store & picked something that fit tightly. They are Bosch injectors to a 2984 Porsche 944.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
10/20/12 6:54 a.m.

I did something very similar a few years ago on my b-i-l-'s KA24 in his 510. But I 'reverse flushed' them, the idea was to not push any more goop into the injector. I flipped them upside down, stuck a piece of vinyl tubing over the outlet side, filled it with carb cleaner then cycled the injector with a motorcycle battery and pusbutton switch till carb cleaner leaked out of the inlet side. Let it sit for a few hours that way, the hit it with air pressure from the outlet side again and cycled the injector. Once that ran clear, I flipped it around and did it the 'correct' way. Out of 4 injectors, I got two working well but the other two were just toast.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/20/12 7:24 a.m.

Huh I'll have to try this with the 4AGE I'm swapping in.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rhGqf6TiDWpel7mKjMZ4IWT4Y8cVOOvXzuhmd23Ad4fzOGprrTfNZ8gC934v2uwu