1 2
freetors
freetors Reader
2/19/18 1:29 p.m.

Do some force vector diagrams on a strut suspension. I guarantee there will be some lateral force at the top of the strut. How much obviously depends on the geometry and cornering forces.

ChasH
ChasH New Reader
2/19/18 1:33 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Ever put a car on a lift and measured how much that vertical force results in a lateral displacement? It happens.

It's possible that some things have changed since the CSL was state of the art, of course.

I never claimed there was no vertical movement, in fact I stated the main force with a strut IS vertical. My claim is a horizontal element is a poor choice to resist such movement.

Please consider I am not an aftermarket parts vendor.

ChasH
ChasH New Reader
2/19/18 1:39 p.m.
freetors said:

Do some force vector diagrams on a strut suspension. I guarantee there will be some lateral force at the top of the strut. How much obviously depends on the geometry and cornering forces.

Yes, there will be some horizontal component, but it's not great. If you truly have done such a vector analysis you would find most forces are carried to the chassis by the lower arm and the length of the lever arm -the strut-means that forces at the top are small. I discussed this at length with engineers from Mazda when I was part of the RX-7 factory team at the 1979 Daytona 24 hr race.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/19/18 2:51 p.m.
ChasH said:
Keith Tanner said:

Ever put a car on a lift and measured how much that vertical force results in a lateral displacement? It happens.

It's possible that some things have changed since the CSL was state of the art, of course.

I never claimed there was no vertical movement, in fact I stated the main force with a strut IS vertical. My claim is a horizontal element is a poor choice to resist such movement.

Please consider I am not an aftermarket parts vendor.

Being a responsible vendor, I have done measurements and tests on potential products because that's how progress is made. Our shock tower brace has gone through at least two major design revisions that I can think of to make it stronger and more effective. None of them made it prettier or cheaper.

A vertical brace would be wonderful, but we still have to see out the windshield. If we can resist some of that vertical load by constraining the lateral deflection it causes with a horizontal brace, then that's what we do. Especially if it shows an actual effect as a result.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gM4FcAYDvU4KOFg04zifQldHNODdyytKEP65dEVNVXpuOperwc91QwcX5dtwjZfT