MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
10/27/15 6:34 p.m.
Rufledt wrote: BTW the videos posted above are now live

-and full of very schizophrenic audio.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/27/15 6:37 p.m.

What, they cant spring for a translator? I've seen introductions of plasma-cutters with more panache than this.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/27/15 6:42 p.m.

I'll be over here sitting in the corner waiting for a diesel Mazda6.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
10/27/15 6:42 p.m.

PRETTY

rodknock
rodknock New Reader
10/27/15 6:43 p.m.

That's one looooonnnggg hood.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/27/15 6:45 p.m.
Kreb wrote: I hate to interrupt all the negativity, but Mazda is probably the most happening Japanese car company right now, so it's not like we're hearing this from Mitsubishi or Isuzu. Maybe, just maybe they've actually made a breakthrough or three. I for one find it amazing that nobody's improved on the reciprocating engine yet.

Direct injection, cold start reliability (reliability in general), increased efficiency and power, computer controls.

Yep, still wish we had those old Model T engines!

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
10/27/15 6:45 p.m.

So more cosmo or RX-9? Still quite sexy though...

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Reader
10/27/15 7:09 p.m.

OK, Mazda. If I can't have an ND coupe, I'll settle for this. Please build it.

Looks like they could fit a 6-rotor in there.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
10/27/15 7:13 p.m.

It even has an interior, and amber indicators!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/27/15 7:16 p.m.

For those who don't click. And BTW, if you're wondering what the ND refresh will look like, here's a hint.

Holy hood, batman. If there's a rotary in there, it's probably under the dashboard. There's enough room for a V12 in that thing. Okay, maybe a flat 12.

Of all the styling cues to take from the RX-8, the taillights remained. Sigh.

bruceman
bruceman Reader
10/27/15 7:36 p.m.

Build it, sell it, race it, NOW! They need to replace that pathetic embarrassing diesel "race" engine with the next rotary

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
10/27/15 7:37 p.m.

the RX8 has a pretty long hood, too. Weird thing is the engine is practically under the dash like Keith says... all the more room for awesome giant engine swaps

Kreb
10/27/15 8:01 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
Kreb wrote: I hate to interrupt all the negativity, but Mazda is probably the most happening Japanese car company right now, so it's not like we're hearing this from Mitsubishi or Isuzu. Maybe, just maybe they've actually made a breakthrough or three. I for one find it amazing that nobody's improved on the reciprocating engine yet.
Direct injection, cold start reliability (reliability in general), increased efficiency and power, computer controls. Yep, still wish we had those old Model T engines!

You misunderstand me. Anybody with a double-digit IQ can see that piston engines have come an amazingly long way. I'm saying that an engine design that didn't require the constant acceleration and deceleration of major components (pistons) would intuitively seem preferable. But so far that hasn't been the case.

Kreb
10/27/15 8:03 p.m.

Beautiful but puzzling. Having all that underutilized hood volume rubs my "form follows function" preference the wrong way.

Hey, maybe they'll put another storage bin up there!

nderwater
nderwater PowerDork
10/27/15 8:12 p.m.

looks good from low angles ...but not production ready.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
10/27/15 8:45 p.m.

Nowhere near production ready, but I really like it. Hopefully something comes out of it other than just a pretty show car.

Somehow this thing makes me think of a 2 door Fisker Karma. Hopefully with less catching on fire.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
10/27/15 10:24 p.m.
an engine design that didn't require the constant acceleration and deceleration of major components (pistons) would intuitively seem preferable

All of them do that. Even rotors in a rotary reciprocate in their own way. Put something on the outside of a circle and spin it, and it is constantly having to change direction.

Kreb
10/27/15 10:30 p.m.
Vigo wrote:
an engine design that didn't require the constant acceleration and deceleration of major components (pistons) would intuitively seem preferable
All of them do t
g on the outside of a circle and spin it, and it is constantly having to change direction.

Thanks, captain science.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
10/27/15 10:53 p.m.

Hey, i'm fine with throwing any and all sacred cows under the bus as long as the argument... actually makes sense.

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
10/27/15 11:04 p.m.

Fun fact, the original wankel design didn't have any orbiting a gear or anything, just simple spinning:

Unfortunately it wasn't exactly easy to work out. Where to you put a spark plug when the rotor AND the housing are both spinning? The rotor? Then how do you get power to it? There were LOTS of other problems. Wankel was PISSED when another engineer came up with the fixed gear, rotate and orbit idea that exists today, but it worked

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
10/27/15 11:11 p.m.
Kreb wrote:
Vigo wrote:
All of them do t
g on the outside of a circle and spin it, and it is constantly having to change direction.
Thanks, captain science.

Something spinning around and around does not stop and reverse direction like a piston. Yes there is acceleration, but (assuming a constant engine rpm) is only caused by centripetal force and not nearly the same as what a piston sees as it starts and stops at the top and bottom of its stroke.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
10/27/15 11:14 p.m.
Vigo wrote:
an engine design that didn't require the constant stopping and starting of major components (pistons) would intuitively seem preferable
All of them do that. Even rotors in a rotary reciprocate in their own way. Put something on the outside of a circle and spin it, and it is constantly having to change direction.

FTFV...It doesn't take a very big leap to figure out the contextual intentions on this one.

scardeal
scardeal Dork
10/28/15 8:26 a.m.

Am I the only one who thinks that everything in front of the windshield looks like it's been stretched out way too much? If it could be ~6-12 inches shorter, I think it would look better.

STM317
STM317 New Reader
10/28/15 8:30 a.m.

It's a sweet looking car in my eyes. Has a lot of Nissan/Infiniti styling cues though. Looks really similar to the Infiniti vision Gran Turismo: http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/news/00_1486904.html?t=@2014

RX8driver
RX8driver New Reader
10/28/15 9:06 a.m.

11 inch wide rear wheels!

Also, the dual round tail lights date back to the 1989 RX7 refresh, carried through the FD, which I think these lights most resemble, and followed through to the RX8, so they're just keeping with RX tradition on those.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2zsJKG9PwGgWBENhzRBmyirVVDL99aKLjTeJosiFrje5plrIRfU8gZVyltz0KHvp