Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
4/15/21 9:13 a.m.
feature_image

According to Business Wire, Holley has acquired “substantially all of the assets” of AEM for $52 million.

The acquisition could allow Holley to expand into new markets, as well take advantage of AEM's recent forays into EV swaps, as President and CEO of Holley Tom Tomlinson highlights:

“The acquisition of AEM is strategic and accretive and we’re excited to welcome …

Read the rest of the story

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/21 9:20 a.m.

Honestly, I just assume almost all of those massive aftermarket names are the same company.

Lee
Lee UberDork
4/15/21 9:33 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

The pretty much are.

https://www.holley.com/brands/

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
4/15/21 10:38 a.m.

If not under the same brand umbrella, there are just a few holding  companies owning most of the industry. Bad, good ?  Not sure, but at least a lot of the small companies get some funding behind them.

WillG80
WillG80 GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/15/21 10:44 a.m.
Lee said:

The pretty much are.

Wow I had no idea. There's some BIG names on that list. Like Tremec transmissions, Simpson, MSD... There must be 20+ big companies owned by Holley. 

infernosg
infernosg Reader
4/15/21 11:29 a.m.
Lee said:

The pretty much are.

Wow, I knew they owned a bunch but many of those I wasn't expected. APR, Dinan, RacePak, SPAL, Stilo, etc... My first thought was, "well there goes AEM" but seeing half the brands they own I doubt this sale will affect consumers much, if at all.

Vajingo
Vajingo HalfDork
4/15/21 12:55 p.m.

Oh great now my cold air intakes are going to say Holly on them

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/21 1:01 p.m.
WillG80 said:
Lee said:

The pretty much are.

Wow I had no idea. There's some BIG names on that list. Like Tremec transmissions, Simpson, MSD... There must be 20+ big companies owned by Holley. 

Does Colt still own Holley?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
4/15/21 1:49 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
WillG80 said:
Lee said:

The pretty much are.

Does Colt still own Holley?

Colt doesn't even own Colt.  They got bought by CZ.  

aw614
aw614 Reader
4/15/21 1:56 p.m.

Didn't K&N own AEM before?

NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/15/21 7:26 p.m.

Holley: like Disney but for car parts

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/15/21 7:58 p.m.
NickD said:

Holley: like Disney but for car parts

Like LKQ but for... um...

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
4/16/21 7:13 a.m.
aw614 said:

Didn't K&N own AEM before?

I think K&N bought the air intake part, but the electronics part didn't come with the deal.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder SuperDork
4/16/21 8:13 a.m.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the acquisition economy is not a good thing for consumers or most employees of said acquired company. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/16/21 8:20 a.m.

In reply to accordionfolder :

Modine was the only company making stock-like radiators for RX-7s.  LKQ bought them and rolled them into Spectra Premium and discontinued pretty much all copper/brass radiators.

Modine radiators are crazy expensive if you can find one.

DjGreggieP
DjGreggieP HalfDork
4/16/21 9:13 a.m.
Vajingo said:

Oh great now my cold air intakes are going to say Holly on them

I wouldn't count on it. I didn't even get a 'Powered by Holley' sticker when I bought my Dominator ECM

NickD
NickD MegaDork
4/16/21 9:31 a.m.
accordionfolder said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the acquisition economy is not a good thing for consumers or most employees of said acquired company. 

It has its ups and downs. One advantage is that because Holley has all these various companies under their umbrella, then you can buy all the stuff to LS- or Gen III Hemi-swap pretty much anything without having to go to two dozen different vendors and then finding out that this company's headers don't work with this company's engine mounts and don't clear this company's transmission crossmember. 

accordionfolder
accordionfolder SuperDork
4/16/21 12:32 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Mmmm, but they would do those types of things with or without acquisition. Acquisitions happen for 1 of 2 reasons - patents or competition. If it's cheaper to buy someone else's successful business in a certain niche than building it yourself you do. Or if you don't want to compete, make the owners an offer they can't resist. Holley EFI vs AEM ... ???
The employees and consumers lose either way. 

It's always spun as: "Now we can reach more clients" or "Now we've opened up the portfolio wider" - but everyone knows exactly why you "purchase" a competitor. 

I can't think of an acquisition that widened a market - for that look at boutique type businesses that are purchased to keep them alive (Caterham).  

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/16/21 1:06 p.m.
NickD said:
accordionfolder said:

It has its ups and downs. One advantage is that because Holley has all these various companies under their umbrella, then you can buy all the stuff to LS- or Gen III Hemi-swap pretty much anything without having to go to two dozen different vendors and then finding out that this company's headers don't work with this company's engine mounts and don't clear this company's transmission crossmember. 

Instead you get to buy all of the equally mutually-incompatible parts from the same company, and the tech support will just play dumb instead of point fingers.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
65gLsD7DODwwr2m1xE9OnBgmjU2nHmthwx7snq9qZzrHvFzMKBHDTMTruSa7hR57