1 2
volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
6/25/14 9:22 a.m.

There's a cop-spec 2001 Crown Vic down the street from me for sale. 100,000 miles, runs and drives, A/C works, straight and rust-free body, clean-looking interior (with the vinyl back seat). Asking $1000 OBO.

Damn. It's even got the cop steelies. I could walk to this guy's house and drive it home.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
6/25/14 9:23 a.m.

...and you decided to post here first why?

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
6/25/14 9:27 a.m.

Because I really don't need a Vic in my life, and Mrs. Volvoclearinghouse hates them.

Here's his ad:

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/cto/4502030767.html

He doesn't show the steelies in the ad, but they're on it now, I just drove past it yesterday.

chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
6/25/14 9:28 a.m.
Flight Service wrote: ...and you decided to post here first why?

+1. They're cheap here too, but not that cheap.

Ditchdigger
Ditchdigger UltraDork
6/25/14 10:21 a.m.

I am in the wrong age group for a Vic. Neither septuagenarian nor urban teen.

My trousers are neither at my nipples nor below my ass cheeks.

klb67
klb67 Reader
6/25/14 10:23 a.m.

The black marks on the pavement and the rubber stuck to the rear quarter panel suggest it still scoots. Or used to.

Racer1ab
Racer1ab Dork
6/25/14 11:11 a.m.

I saw the wheels and feared the worst, but the CL ad actually isn't terrible. If I had the cash, I'd check it out.

ssswitch
ssswitch Reader
6/25/14 11:16 a.m.

All of the ones here are about $3-4k depending on how badly treated the car has been.

There was one for $750 but it had mismatched junkyard body panels and looked like a picture of it it should be in the dictionary under "DUI."

Still surprised every time I see a non-cop Crown Vic. I can't believe anyone bought them new when surplus was so plentiful.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 HalfDork
6/25/14 11:35 a.m.

I tried to sell one for $2400 with a rebuilt trans and a few other replaced items. When I first listed it, people was asking if the drivetrain was ok. After I rebuilt the trans, no one wanted it.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
6/25/14 2:56 p.m.

You could probably sell the wheels/rims and make some money on those.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
6/25/14 3:49 p.m.

I've never driven (or ridden in) the cop version. I had one of the regular versions as a rental once and I found it to be miserable. I wouldn't want to drive one, but that is cheap.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/25/14 4:20 p.m.

Yeah, I don't get the fascination. I've driven a few and there are a LOT of other cars I'd choose over them. And I'm a (mostly) Ford guy.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
6/25/14 4:27 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: Yeah, I don't get the fascination. I've driven a few and there are a LOT of other cars I'd choose over them. And I'm a (mostly) Ford guy.

agreed. Though now that I have a 3rd on the way, the wide back seat is intriguing.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
6/25/14 4:30 p.m.

My grandfather has a 2008 Grand Marquis, and I like driving it. My only complaint was the lack of a dead pedal causing my left leg to go to sleep, but that was easily solved with a small red brick strategically placed in the left footwell.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Dork
6/25/14 4:31 p.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine:

And with the cop version, that back seat is easy-to-clean-up vinyl.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
6/25/14 5:40 p.m.

Great deal. If it were near me I'd buy it. That will eat a 100 shot all day long. Fun stuff.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/25/14 6:27 p.m.

An occasional coworker has one. It drives him nuts, every time he comes up behind someone they slow down to just under the speed limit

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
6/25/14 6:43 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote: There's a cop-spec 2001 Crown Vic down the street from me for sale.

It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/25/14 7:01 p.m.

As a hot rodder, I never saw the appeal of 281 cubic inches moving 4000 lbs.

Now, 581 cubic inches and 4000 lbs is more like it.

But, I do like CVs. For me the answer is always 9C1, but they're getting rare these days.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
6/25/14 7:15 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote: In reply to Fueled by Caffeine: And with the cop version, that back seat is easy-to-clean-up vinyl.

BONUS!

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid PowerDork
6/25/14 7:45 p.m.

My dad has an '04. It's a PI with a Civvy interior.

I finally got him to get a set of CV Sport wheels for his summer tires.

It does everything he asks it to do.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 HalfDork
6/25/14 7:56 p.m.
curtis73 wrote: As a hot rodder, I never saw the appeal of 281 cubic inches moving 4000 lbs. Now, 581 cubic inches and 4000 lbs is more like it. But, I do like CVs. For me the answer is always 9C1, but they're getting rare these days.

Mine was the fastest car I owned out of all the slow cars I have owned so far. Since it's a ford small block, you have plenty of go fast parts to buy for it, like supercharger kits.

Ojala
Ojala GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/25/14 8:30 p.m.

Please, please, change the interior if you buy an ex police crown vic. The fluids that are spewed on that vinyl....shudder

They never tell you in the academy that you will spend a fair portion of your Saturday nights hosing bodily goo out of your car.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/25/14 9:38 p.m.

the first thing i did when i bought a p71 was throw out the rear seat and order a brand new one.

i'm not sure i would own another but i would definitely buy a crappy 03+ to steal the suspension for something old. i wish they were around when i was doing the chassis work on my belair.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
6/25/14 9:40 p.m.
Ojala wrote: Please, please, change the interior if you buy an ex police crown vic. The fluids that are spewed on that vinyl....shudder They never tell you in the academy that you will spend a fair portion of your Saturday nights hosing bodily goo out of your car.

Found a bag of weed in mine...

Most the locals around here have plastic rear seats so it cleans right out.

I'll be in the market for a four door again...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ph6lmfQVyAe3pkL1K8mbAq6nOe4zWFfgkaA00AcQ4baYfcNw2NOU7SEXUINnvb64