fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
9/22/08 5:57 p.m.

Sorry, my BS meter is going off, at least on the frame.

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2008/09/z59_incredible_homebuilt.html

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
9/22/08 6:05 p.m.

lame that they went with the fake vtec k20a3 for it. don't know if i buy the homemade part of it either

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/22/08 6:10 p.m.

Tires are on backwards.

I bet it is home built, not $2008.00 but home built.

carguy123
carguy123 HalfDork
9/22/08 6:11 p.m.

You need to get out more, lots of people have built exo skeleton cars themselves.

I don't know about that one itself but it could have been. Lame motor in an RSX, but in that light of a car, even a singer sewing machine motor can propel a car in an amazing fashion.

Winston
Winston New Reader
9/23/08 8:48 a.m.

Our own JonW (builder of the $200x aluminum-nose locost) is building an Atom:

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1503

Brust
Brust New Reader
9/23/08 1:00 p.m.

Geez guys, this atom clone is chronicled pretty extensively at the locost usa non-traditional build forum. It's a pretty sweet job for an 18 year old (going to stanford this year) or anyone else for that matter. http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3030 Gimme a break with the hating on someone who built their own car. And yeah, that's what the first four of you did. Yes, it cost a lot. No, he didn't use a motor with a "type R" designation. No, he's not the first to build an atom clone. It's not perfect, but I give him an A for effort- it's a far sight more than I've undertaken.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
9/23/08 2:03 p.m.

Yeah, I think he did a good job of it. I would move the roll hoop over to where the driver sits, but that's just me.

Once you build a car from scratch (or most of one), you start looking at things like the Atom or that Maserati Birdcage clone we had at out car show 2 weeks ago and you say, OK, that's do-able. Just need some drawings and maybe a tubing notcher.

fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
9/23/08 3:52 p.m.

No hating here, just doubt which has been proved wrong.

No harm no foul.

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
9/23/08 8:07 p.m.

I like it! Pretty nifty.

Hasbro
Hasbro HalfDork
9/23/08 8:16 p.m.

Damn, when I think about what I was doing at 18...

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
9/23/08 8:32 p.m.

$11,000 in it, not too shabby. I'm sure that with more scrounging he might have done it for less, but he likely had less experience in this sort of thing than some here. I do like that he used an old kayak for the nose piece...

Hasbro
Hasbro HalfDork
9/23/08 10:28 p.m.

Actually, the K20a3 is a great little motor. Not too hard to get a little under 200 hp na with a sweet flat torque curve. Runs forever. Or pop in a turbo or supercharger... I'm getting around 36 -40 mpg in my Si hatch and his project is much lighter. For outright performance, of course, the K Frankenmotors are a whole different story.

Stock K20a3 bottom/modded head: K20a3 w/ mods

Brust
Brust New Reader
9/23/08 11:50 p.m.
fastEddie wrote: No hating here, just doubt which has been proved wrong. No harm no foul.

Cool man, I didn't intend to sound so harsh either, but dang! Unless the dude was trying to sell it, I don't think I have a lot of criticism for it. I'd do things differently but I've also got an ME degree and 20 years of car tinkering under my belt (and still no homebuilt car!).

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/24/08 9:03 a.m.

Nice!

ande7897
ande7897
7/9/10 9:20 p.m.

This isn't BS. It was build from scratch:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25435483@N00/

GI_Drewsifer
GI_Drewsifer Reader
7/9/10 10:03 p.m.

Wow, thats incredible. I was about to call BS too. At a glance it looks like he just took 90% of an Atom and then made some custom bits for it. But he made that thing form scratch?! Holy cow thats awesome.

kb58
kb58 Reader
7/10/10 12:29 a.m.

Yeah you guys need to hang out on locostusa.com. Lots of people - including me - are building stuff, and not all of the cars look like Sevens. This builder shows what's possible when someone's unattached and isn't working or going to school, a heck of a lot can get done.

Until you've built a car yourself, from scratch, no plans, no kit, be careful calling BS on someone's build. As far as looks go, pull your scratch-built car up next to his and post the picture - we'll decide which looks better.

GI_Drewsifer
GI_Drewsifer Reader
7/10/10 12:18 p.m.
kb58 wrote: Yeah you guys need to hang out on locostusa.com. Lots of people - including me - are building stuff, and not all of the cars look like Sevens. This builder shows what's possible when someone's unattached and isn't working or going to school, a heck of a lot can get done. Until you've built a car yourself, from scratch, no plans, no kit, be careful calling BS on someone's build. As far as looks go, pull your scratch-built car up next to his and post the picture - we'll decide which looks better.

A tad defensive aren't we?

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
7/10/10 12:54 p.m.

You guys do actually read the magazine, right?

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt Dork
7/10/10 1:06 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: You guys do actually read the magazine, right?

There's a magazine?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FYd52M6zs2Cw2t27m3Syf6JWldxljdOTRR1JvpGKs6TF2GRy5UY3Y0ako8JjOihx