TurboTim
TurboTim
10/26/08 4:36 p.m.

Hey this is my first post ORM. I come to you guys for some wisdom. I wanted to get some new struts in the front and being I own a shop I have seen some of the Ebay kits for hondas that people bring in that look like are just a universal strut then it just has a spring perch on the bottom using the existing factor strut mount and turn plate. I realize the honda struts are easier to work on because they have one bolt in the control arm vs my volvo has a knuckle but I was Planing to just make some bracket for that to work. Dont know if I could weld to a strut body or now.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
10/26/08 6:12 p.m.

Non sealed strut bodies are easy, you just take the top retainer off, pull the cartridge out and then weld to the body where you need to.

I did some coilovers on a set of Miata shocks simply by cutting off the spring mount, I left appoximately 1/2" for the sleeve to sit on. Worked fine.

You can weld to a sealed and pressurized strut body if you are careful and don't mind possibly getting hurt if you burn through , but there's an easier way.

http://www.mcmaster.com/ Search for 'split collars' starting on page 1136. They are available up to 75mm ID. Stack two and torque to specs, they'll be there forever.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XaXmAZVNQiQlXU6hPHugPnp1lNutCSSQwRecMoyfGMg8ronQskYDMZR2AdVBM33A