1 2
ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
2/22/15 5:21 a.m.

Not me. I'm going to stay out of this aside from asking for comments. This is from a forum where I was called names for adding my opinion so I'm asking for yours.

Behold:

[URL=http://s265.photobucket.com/user/derekrichardson/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_5.jpg.html][/URL]

That is crushed glass inside the chambers.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
2/22/15 5:24 a.m.

Well yea, what dey call it glasspack for.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/22/15 5:27 a.m.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/22/15 7:03 a.m.

Bwahaha, doing it wrong!

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
2/22/15 7:07 a.m.

Trying to imagine what that will sound like. I know it won't be good, that's for sure.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/22/15 7:08 a.m.

Someone needs to make a Kickstarter. Now.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
2/22/15 7:18 a.m.

In reply to ebonyandivory:
Please tell us you made this all up. Please,pretty please.

2.0dohc
2.0dohc Reader
2/22/15 7:33 a.m.

So instead of shooting out threads of fiberglass, this one shoots out chunks of glass?

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/22/15 7:38 a.m.

That's pretty funny. Should rattle nicely.

I made one once, but rather than using glass or fiberglass, I used stainless pot scrubbers. It was going behind a rotary and they are known for burning out glasspacks. It actually worked very well as a pre-silencer.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/22/15 7:58 a.m.

I'm glad i don't know derek richardson otherwise i'd go smack him with a purple hornie

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
2/22/15 8:12 a.m.

In reply to patgizz:

Ummmm, no you wouldn't.

That's the picture I snagged from the forum thread in order to paste it here.

Hi, I'm Derek Richardson the guy that got called a "dick" for giving my opinion about it! Called out by a few different posters to boot.

I'm "Broncoderek" on this site:

Page 5: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1363617-cherry-bomb-vs-thrush-vs-homemade-5.html

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
2/22/15 8:25 a.m.
  1. What do they weigh??

2. Is the center pipe even perforated?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/22/15 8:46 a.m.

LOL I thought you were kidding. It must be exhausting to be that stupid.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
2/22/15 8:47 a.m.
pres589 wrote: 1. What do they weigh?? 2. Is the center pipe even perforated? 3. Wait, you packed them with BROKEN GLASS?

FTFY

(...and I said I wouldn't comment)

Spitsix
Spitsix GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/22/15 8:48 a.m.

They look like a "PANE" to make!!!! Get it "pane of glass". I make myself laugh!

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
2/22/15 8:55 a.m.

It's too bad I'm the only guy so far that said anything... There are actually guys defending his decision!

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/22/15 9:23 a.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: In reply to patgizz: Ummmm, no you wouldn't. That's the picture I snagged from the forum thread in order to paste it here. Hi, I'm Derek Richardson the guy that got called a "dick" for giving my opinion about it! Called out by a few different posters to boot. I'm "Broncoderek" on this site: Page 5: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1363617-cherry-bomb-vs-thrush-vs-homemade-5.html

ah i figured you were hotlinking to his photobucket. comment rescinded, i would smack the builder with it then.

judging from the brainpower over there i suggest you just turn, walk away, and never look back.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
2/22/15 9:31 a.m.

I wonder how many liquor bottles that takes?

gunner
gunner GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/22/15 9:51 a.m.

Wait. You got called out for pointing out an obviously idiotic design choice? (I.e He wasn't being ironic, sarcastic, etc.?) You are not a "dick" you actually win the internets today! Shove those troll souls through the glasspacks. ;)

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/22/15 9:57 a.m.

Ok, someone totally needs to take an empty Jack bottle - label intact - drill a hole through the bottom, shove a steel tube through it with some SOS pads stuffed around it, and use it for a ratrod.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
2/22/15 10:06 a.m.

In reply to gunner:

Admittedly, I didn't coddle the guy.

I wrote: "You seriously used broken glass in your mufflers? Is it April 1st?

I'm sure it won't rattle or sound like ****!

Are you going to pour sand through your intake with the engine running to hone your cylinders next?"

Got these in return:

"If you would read a few posts before this you'll see that I did this only for curiosity. Maybe u should try the sand thing first

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
2/22/15 10:30 a.m.

Id say its about even at that point. I'll try all sorts of stupid E36 M3 for curiosity on my own cars. I also have 10 ASE certs and teach auto repair for a living. I just like to experiment.

What do i think it will do, though? Rattle and do very little muffling.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
2/22/15 10:34 a.m.

In reply to Vigo:

The formatting messed up my post. There's 5 or so more posts defending the guy and calling me names or similar.

Don't tell me you'd experiment with real broken glass in your muffler...

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/22/15 11:07 a.m.

You effectively called him a retard for trying to make mufflers with glass, when he made it very clear that he just tried it out of idle curiosity. I never got the sense that he was going to be using them as a permanent solution. But when it was pointed out to you that you were being unduly harsh, you came here with half the facts to raise some support. There was a story about me in our local paper, and it was not very complimentary. It is very frustrating that they took half the facts because it made a good story, but never bothered with any fact checking.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
2/22/15 11:36 a.m.

In reply to bearmtnmartin:

Yup, I provided half the facts by giving you a link to exactly what was written from everyone involved.

But you apparently got somewhat slandered in a local newspaper and you're using that here why?

Look, I posted The picture the "fabricator" posted then gave everyone a direct link to not only the thread but the very page I posted my reply on. An that looks like I'm slanting something to you?

By your "logic" you yourself were leaving out half the facts by not mentioning that I posted the link here and/or that I posted the op's reply to me.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yeV1EhKk92l3kGgvKIpcebOed5MZ7JCiLLym499zCHZQ7PtlwQISnt2aezaKvLFG