cxhb
cxhb HalfDork
12/24/10 8:34 a.m.

I'm really liking the Renault Clio V6. Mid engined V6 hot hatch awesomeness. I'm even thinking about building one since we don't have them here.

I'm thinking all Honda on this one, an EG or EK hatchback with a J32 V6/six speed manual in the back...

These are of course just dreams... No way I could afford this on my laughable college student budget.... But holy E36 M3 would that be fun....

My initial concerns:

Rear suspension design- should I somehow adapt CRV rear suspension? or go one off?

Cooling- How would I make that work? Still keep the radiator in the front and run two electric water pumps to and from?

This is all a horrible idea. But I figured this is as good a place as any to throw the ideas around. What do you guys think?

That idiot who can't spell
That idiot who can't spell SuperDork
12/24/10 8:39 a.m.

I would say the easiest thing would be to take the front subframe out of the vehicle you got the J-series out of and get that into the back of the Civic.

integraguy
integraguy Dork
12/24/10 8:50 a.m.

There are already a few front engined/FWD V6 Civics out there. Admittedly, the handling will be a lot different if the engine is in the middle or rear, but since it took Renault a bit of work to "sort" the V6 Clio, are you sure you wan to tackle the engine and sort the handling, too?

That idiot who can't spell
That idiot who can't spell SuperDork
12/24/10 8:54 a.m.
integraguy wrote: There are already a few front engined/FWD V6 Civics out there. Admittedly, the handling will be a lot different if the engine is in the middle or rear, but since it took Renault a bit of work to "sort" the V6 Clio, are you sure you wan to tackle the engine and sort the handling, too?

How hard could it be?

That idiot who can't spell
That idiot who can't spell SuperDork
12/24/10 8:55 a.m.

As far as cooling I would probably do side ducts into the radiator.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
12/24/10 9:01 a.m.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/759692/1984-honda-civic

cxhb
cxhb HalfDork
12/24/10 9:04 a.m.
That idiot who can't spell wrote:
integraguy wrote: There are already a few front engined/FWD V6 Civics out there. Admittedly, the handling will be a lot different if the engine is in the middle or rear, but since it took Renault a bit of work to "sort" the V6 Clio, are you sure you wan to tackle the engine and sort the handling, too?
How hard could it be?

Thats the spirit. How hard CAN it be?

Lol I'll probably never attempt any of this. If I do it will be in two years once I'm done with school. Still, I love the idea of it. And btw. I will never shove one in the nose of a civic. They already push, why make it worse?

cxhb
cxhb HalfDork
12/24/10 9:12 a.m.
Woody wrote: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/759692/1984-honda-civic

YYYYEEEEAAAAH!! Now THAT is someone I need to get ahold of lol

That idiot who can't spell
That idiot who can't spell SuperDork
12/24/10 9:21 a.m.
cxhb wrote:
That idiot who can't spell wrote:
integraguy wrote: There are already a few front engined/FWD V6 Civics out there. Admittedly, the handling will be a lot different if the engine is in the middle or rear, but since it took Renault a bit of work to "sort" the V6 Clio, are you sure you wan to tackle the engine and sort the handling, too?
How hard could it be?
Thats the spirit. How hard CAN it be? Lol I'll probably never attempt any of this. If I do it will be in two years once I'm done with school. Still, I love the idea of it. And btw. I will never shove one in the nose of a civic. They already push, why make it worse?

Do it for the GRM Challenge!!!!!

cxhb
cxhb HalfDork
12/24/10 9:29 a.m.

In reply to That idiot who can't spell:

I would love to. A friend and I were actually hoping to make the GRM Challenge our senior design project (were engineering students). But the school is almost wholly opposed to the idea. We're still debating pushing the idea. I think it would make a great senior design project.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim SuperDork
12/24/10 11:28 a.m.
cxhb wrote: Cooling- How would I make that work? Still keep the radiator in the front and run two electric water pumps to and from?

That's what Renault did in both the Clio V6 and the mid-engined R5 Turbos.

cxhb
cxhb HalfDork
12/24/10 11:37 a.m.
BoxheadTim wrote:
cxhb wrote: Cooling- How would I make that work? Still keep the radiator in the front and run two electric water pumps to and from?
That's what Renault did in both the Clio V6 and the mid-engined R5 Turbos.

ITS A SIGN! I got that part right so I'm on the right track.

God... I gotta lay off the coffee.

kb58
kb58 Reader
12/24/10 1:15 p.m.

Check out the Kimini book , it deals with putting a FWD drivetrain in the back of a chassis, along with all the related issues. And yes I am biased

Tyler H
Tyler H Dork
12/24/10 2:08 p.m.

Why the electric water pumps? MR2s use a standard water pump with a front mount radiator.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
12/24/10 3:39 p.m.
Woody
Woody SuperDork
12/24/10 8:26 p.m.
sachilles wrote: universal mid-engine kit

Uh oh....

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard SonDork
12/24/10 9:32 p.m.
Woody wrote:
sachilles wrote: universal mid-engine kit
Uh oh....

Would this fit in a Spitfire?

Mikey52_1
Mikey52_1 HalfDork
12/25/10 7:26 a.m.
Tom Suddard wrote:
Woody wrote:
sachilles wrote: universal mid-engine kit
Uh oh....
Would this fit in a Spitfire?

I'm thinkin' this would fit in about ANYthing, being 'universal' and all...hmmmmm

sachilles
sachilles Dork
12/25/10 7:53 a.m.

Certainly think there needs to be a grm test to verify the viability of this kit. I believe it is fairly new, as the last time I checked the site last fall, it wasn't on there. They make some pretty mean minis out this outfit.

Our Preferred Partners
YaoH5L86f0Uo921WaUafyMEB7izg8IHtJByqgkMOtoHSBkw9VoTDf5D3hAfByTpS