1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
7/9/17 12:53 p.m.

Wife's 2013 Honda Accord V6 with 85k miles is not starting. Trans in Park, foot on brake. Press starter button. Nuttin'. Dash lights are normal.

Wife said did it once before, made "starter noises".

So, starter?

What better way to spend a Sunday afternoon than laying under a car, right?

TIA.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/17 1:48 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2:

Battery?

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/9/17 1:51 p.m.

Is the battery post corroded? I had the exact same problem with my 14 accord, posted it on here just like you.

Ended up, the battery cable / post terminal corrosion actually destroyed the cable clamp. I was lucky to get it replaced under warranty.

TGMF
TGMF Reader
7/9/17 1:59 p.m.

Low voltage. Either junk battery or poor connection. Push button cars won't even try to start if the computer isn't happy with the available power.

imgon
imgon Reader
7/9/17 3:01 p.m.

If original battery I would start there. I just replaced the battery in a 2014 Suburban. Started fine on Monday would only click the starter after sitting for a few days. No slow start, no warning light, just gone, 3 years out of a battery is good. After battery, check connections.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/17 4:18 p.m.

Back up a second try jumping it. See if it starts. I would also load test the battery. And as others have said battery connections. Clean them. I would also inspect the cables.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
7/9/17 5:29 p.m.

Interesting. Battery is less than a year old, and everything under the hood pretty much looks new, but I will check for corrosion. I see a lot of internet "noise" which would seem to indicate short starter life on these.

Also, the fact that NOBODY has one of these in stock locally would seem to indicate a very high failure rate.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
7/9/17 7:36 p.m.

So... Update!

Not the battery. Terminals are tight and corrosion-free. After sitting in the lot a few hours, car started as normal. It's home in my garage now, but my wife isn't keen on driving it as she knows it will leave her stranded somewhere.

So, starter? Going to get under it now and see if I can put my hands on it. Then I'll try to run down a replacement.

BadPax
BadPax New Reader
7/9/17 8:20 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2:

Not sure if the V6 uses the same starter as the EarthDreams 4, but the starter on my wife's 14 Accord Sport had to be replaced under warranty at 30,000 miles. For a couple of months prior to the final failure, engine would intermittently not turn over, would act like the clutch pedal wasn't depressed far enough to engage the safety switch, and then after 2 months or so of that, it completely failed and required a replacement starter.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
7/9/17 8:42 p.m.

Well, I found it. It's a Mitsuba unit, assembled in the USA. Access looks reasonable if I pull the battery. Now to source the replacement. Anybody recommend PartsGeek?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
7/10/17 9:21 a.m.

Ordering reman unit from NAPA. Demand for these things exceeds supply. Dealer wanted over $600 for the same crap they used the first time around.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
7/12/17 7:26 a.m.

Got the reman starter last night. Had it installed a short time later. Access is do-able, but tight. It would have been easier with the battery tray removed, but after I removed the two bolts securing it to the frame, I noticed that it was also tack welded in one corner. Lovely.

Car starts as normal. Yay.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
APaaETYevTJvIrhsHhI7zccq372j5d4iAewh4ucM5RW36YBdnibtoktdUbBCSqHC