1 2 3 4
4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
10/24/13 1:26 p.m.
Knurled wrote: 660cc? 67 hp? Sounds like a Kei car to me... 'Course, if they sell it here, they don't have any stepped tax/parking laws to worry about.

Linky said murkah gets 1kcc of imported fury...Japanese be all like "USDM y01!!"

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/24/13 2:02 p.m.
Driven5 wrote: In my opinion this is hands down one of the most enticing pieces of recent automotive news. All they have to do is: Swap out the 0.66L turbo mill for a 1.0L turbo mill, keep it over 40mpg highway minimum, give it direct/responsive/entertaining handling, put in a good old fashioned manual transmission, and keep it priced solidly under $20k fully loaded. If it can live up to that potential, I think it would be surprisingly easy to justify one as a daily work commuter.

Are there any fully loaded cars under 20k currently for sale?

scardeal
scardeal Dork
10/24/13 2:08 p.m.

Is it 1,2,3 or 4 cylinders? I can't stand a 3 cylinder car.

oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
10/24/13 2:08 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote:
Knurled wrote: 660cc? 67 hp? Sounds like a Kei car to me... 'Course, if they sell it here, they don't have any stepped tax/parking laws to worry about.
Linky said murkah gets 1kcc of imported fury...Japanese be all like "USDM y01!!"

The article made the ASSumption that the US is on the export list. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Honda finds a way to ignore this market.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
10/24/13 2:15 p.m.

What would constitute "fully loaded" on this car anyway? Power windows? Air con? I just hope they don't use the instrument cluster shown. Something more analog, more like the cluster from an RSX and less like an S2000, that'd be nice.

LuxInterior
LuxInterior New Reader
10/24/13 2:35 p.m.

That looks pretty damn cool. I'm in.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/24/13 2:44 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
oldeskewltoy wrote: motorcycle engine powered cars tend to be unkind to the motorcycle engine.... and that would likely mean high warranty costs...
That's only because DIY BEC makers often make the mistake of not altering the bike oiling system and drivetrain to suit. Stick a good oil pan and a cush pack on it and it'd be fine.

I'll go out on a limb here and say I'd love to see a motorcycle motor in this thing...

...but I don't think it would happen.

Motorcycle motors are much more peaky and have much less torque than car motors. Honda knows that a normal motorcycle motor won't work because the S2000 AP1 was criticized for being torque-less when it was released. That motor was a 2.0 liter motor and not a 1 liter motor as is listed here. The S2000 motor made 160 ft lbs at a stratospheric 6500 -7500 rpm. I just don't think that would make for a pleasurable driving experience for Joe Q. Public. A motorcycle motor ala the CBR1000RR (82 ft lbs at 8500) makes much less torque and at a higher rpm range than even the S2000.

After all that doom and gloom. Let us consider the 1.0 liter Ford Ecoboost motor.

Ford wins second consecutive Engine of the Year with 1.0L EcoBoost [UPDATE]

Some highlights:

BEHOLD!

Honda prides itself on being an engine company. I'll bet they can push the goal posts out a little further and come up with a motor as good as Ford's or slightly better.

Driven5
Driven5 Reader
10/24/13 2:59 p.m.
logdog wrote: Are there any fully loaded cars under 20k currently for sale?

That depends on your definition of fully loaded, which is probably going to vary depending on price range. For this car, I would define that to be pricing and options/equipment similar to the Fit...Which can be had 'fully loaded' with an MSRP under $20k.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/24/13 3:11 p.m.

wow.. I am sorry I read the comments. While not too many people calling for "moar power!" one poster needs to have his head removed from his ass with his comment that Porsche and Ferrari "ruined" what people think of Mid-engined cars

logdog
10/24/13 3:15 p.m.
Driven5 wrote:
That depends on your definition of fully loaded, which is probably going to vary depending on price range. For this car, I would define that to be pricing and options/equipment similar to the Fit...Which can be had 'fully loaded' with an MSRP under $20k.

I would think there is only one definition for "fully loaded" and thats every available option box ticked. I bet the fit goes above 20k fully loaded. Not trying to be contrary, it just seems like an unreasonable expectation.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/24/13 3:19 p.m.
logdog wrote:
Driven5 wrote:
I would think there is only one definition for "fully loaded" and thats every available option box ticked. I bet the fit goes above 20k fully loaded. Not trying to be contrary, it just seems like an unreasonable expectation.

$25,453 for a "fully loaded" Fit Sport w/ Nav and every dealer ad-on chotchkey in the book.

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
10/24/13 3:23 p.m.

Me likey. Definitely looking forward to the Toybaru competitor.

logdog
10/24/13 3:28 p.m.

In reply to Javelin: Now thats fully loaded!

logdog
10/24/13 3:33 p.m.

I just built a 23157 buck Versa.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/24/13 3:48 p.m.

It would be nice if someone could design a MR car with the storage/practicality of an X1/9

Javelin
10/24/13 3:51 p.m.

$18,930 for a Chevy Spark 2LT Auto with all the gee-gaws.

logdog
10/24/13 3:53 p.m.
Javelin wrote: $18,930 for a Chevy Spark 2LT Auto with all the gee-gaws.

We found a winner!

Javelin
10/24/13 3:53 p.m.

$16,309 for a smart fortwo pure coupe with every option including matte paint.

Driven5
Driven5 Reader
10/24/13 4:29 p.m.
logdog wrote: I bet the fit goes above 20k fully loaded. Not trying to be contrary, it just seems like an unreasonable expectation.

Rather than randomly speculating...See for yourself.

No, dealer installed accessories don't count.

Hasbro
Hasbro Dork
10/24/13 4:30 p.m.
LuxInterior wrote: That looks pretty damn cool. I'm in.

Nice, but until it's in front of me.....

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
10/24/13 4:30 p.m.
Driven5 wrote: In my opinion this is hands down one of the most enticing pieces of recent automotive news. All they have to do is: Swap out the 0.66L turbo mill for a 1.0L turbo mill, keep it over 40mpg highway minimum, give it direct/responsive/entertaining handling, put in a good old fashioned manual transmission, and keep it priced solidly under $20k fully loaded. If it can live up to that potential, I think it would be surprisingly easy to justify one as a daily work commuter.

As Javelin pointed out above, the Spark already does this. It's not a roadster like this theoretical Honda mentioned, and it's technically rated by the EPA at 39 mpg highway (close enough!). If you don't mind the range limitation and you can cash in on the tax credits available, you can actually get EV cars that meet this criteria too!

Bryce

Driven5
Driven5 Reader
10/24/13 4:40 p.m.
Nashco wrote: ..the Spark already does this. It's not a roadster like this theoretical Honda mentioned...

That's the whole point though...In addition to all that other hopeful stuff, it is a roadster and it is RWD. And yes, my next incredibly boring family appliance might just be an EV.

Javelin
10/24/13 4:49 p.m.

In reply to Driven5:

Uh, I take it you didn't actually click your own link? Fit Sport AT with Nav starts at $20,580 even without any dealer accessories...

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
10/24/13 4:57 p.m.
Driven5 wrote:
Nashco wrote: ..the Spark already does this. It's not a roadster like this theoretical Honda mentioned...
That's the whole point though...In addition to all that other hopeful stuff, it is a roadster and it is RWD.

...and it IS theoretical. Bird in the hand or two in the bush? Your call.

Bryce

Driven5
Driven5 Reader
10/24/13 5:06 p.m.

In reply to Javelin:

To the best of my knowledge, the MSRP typically advertised does not include tax, title, lisence, documentation fees, or destination charges. If I'm wrong in thtat...sue me.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sNqy0GApHfCWJyvOKffNFnmShMIcwV9zsXlTelZizUmCrybD9esbaf20kVcChckd