1 2 3 4 5
Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Reader
4/30/18 4:03 p.m.

That Indestro ratchet is a good, old tool. It's more than 50 years old. It would be a shame to see it get broken.

Yes, I'm a tool sympathizer.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/30/18 7:12 p.m.

Bought some harbour freight impact extensions. I’ll get back on it tomorrow. 

grover
4/30/18 7:44 p.m.
Cousin_Eddie said:

That Indestro ratchet is a good, old tool. It's more than 50 years old. It would be a shame to see it get broken.

Yes, I'm a tool sympathizer.

I figured there was exactly 0% chance that it was the weak link in the chain.  I took it apart a few weeks ago and put some syn grease in it...works amazing.  I love using it as long as I have clearance.  Came out of my grandfathers tool box.  Not my nicest rachet, but one of my favorites. 

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
4/30/18 7:49 p.m.

and a 1/2" air line that's only 8' long - works every time.

In between moving my 220v 60gal compressor i borrowed a 110v compressor with a ~50' line hardmounted to it (i.e. no coupler at compressor) and my impact (IR Titanium, no problem here..) went lame. I had another ~13 gal tank from an old compressor that i use to air up tires in the yard, and i hooked a ~8ft air line to that and started putting it between the impact and the 50' line when i was doing actual tight bolts. It brought the impact back up to 90+%. 

grover
4/30/18 9:56 p.m.
Vigo said:

and a 1/2" air line that's only 8' long - works every time.

In between moving my 220v 60gal compressor i borrowed a 110v compressor with a ~50' line hardmounted to it (i.e. no coupler at compressor) and my impact (IR Titanium, no problem here..) went lame. I had another ~13 gal tank from an old compressor that i use to air up tires in the yard, and i hooked a ~8ft air line to that and started putting it between the impact and the 50' line when i was doing actual tight bolts. It brought the impact back up to 90+%. 

hmmmm.  I guess i'm off to find a new air line tomorrow.  

grover
5/1/18 1:12 p.m.

Guys, I have an issue. 

Yes, that is a brand new half inch impact that I just broke with a breaker bar. I’m sort of dumbfounded. Am I going to have to get this thing towed somewhere to loosen this bolt? I Suppose I could put it all together and take it somewhere, but the harmonic dampener needs changing and that requires removal of this bolt. My compressor is only 125psi and the hose is plumped 3/8 at the regulator. So I’m not sure I can do much there as suggested earlier.  I’m sort of dumbfounded at this point.  I was not bouncing the breaker or anything when this happened, just steady pressure. 

GroupSects
GroupSects GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/1/18 1:25 p.m.

I had a rear axle nut on a NC miata that was doing the same thing. Breaker bar plus cheater was too much force for the parking brake, so I had someone stand on the brakes and I snapped the breaker bar at the head. Got a more robust breaker bar and had the socket crack. Wasn't a must do, just wanted to get extended studs on the hub so I decided to come back to it. Eventually bought one of the high torque M18 1400 ft-lbs impacts because it was on sale. I was rotating tires and decided to try the axle nut and it spun off like it was nothing. So if you feel like spending $400+ that might be your ticket. 

I'd try a mobile mechanic before putting it back together and going somewhere with it, probably cheaper and you don't have to put something back together just to take it apart later.

06HHR
06HHR HalfDork
5/1/18 1:28 p.m.

surprisesadI've never seen an extension fail like that before.  Sockets yes, but not an extension.  If you have the room to put the impact directly on the bolt, maybe apply some heat to it beforehand?  I'm stumped..

EDIT: Just saw where you've already done that.  Guess it's time to go big, maybe find an equipment rental place with a 3/4" impact or that big honkin IR impact available.  Home Depot actually has a decent selection of tools for rent.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/1/18 1:38 p.m.

Okay, I'm guessing $125 for a Snap-On or similar breaker bar, another $75 to $100 for a quality extension. I'd bet you could get by with  a Harbour Freight impact socket. How does that compare to towing it somewhere to have a guy work on it?

The thing is at the end, you will always have the tools.

Maybe a H/F 3/4 or 1" breaker bar, extension, impact socket and adapter if needed? 

Do you have friends or relatives with tools? 

This can be done by a shade tree mechanic.  

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/1/18 1:43 p.m.

You need a Swench.

These lugs are tightened to about 400 lb-ft. 

If you were local I'd tell you to come get it. 

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie Reader
5/1/18 1:55 p.m.

Maybe call a truck tire guy. They all have mobile trucks and air tools that would laugh at the stuck bolt. He could back his pickup up to your van, knock the bolt loose, and be back on the road in 10 minutes.

java230
java230 UltraDork
5/1/18 1:56 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
5/1/18 2:28 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

Ok, what is that witchcraft? 

grover
5/1/18 2:58 p.m.
wheelsmithy said:

Okay, I'm guessing $125 for a Snap-On or similar breaker bar, another $75 to $100 for a quality extension. I'd bet you could get by with  a Harbour Freight impact socket. How does that compare to towing it somewhere to have a guy work on it?

The thing is at the end, you will always have the tools.

Maybe a H/F 3/4 or 1" breaker bar, extension, impact socket and adapter if needed? 

Do you have friends or relatives with tools? 

This can be done by a shade tree mechanic.  

I have a solid collection of tools.  I don't believe HF sells a bigger breaker than what I have.  I'm using the biggest stuff they have.  

grover
5/1/18 2:59 p.m.
Toyman01 said:

You need a Swench.

That thing is amazing.  But my impact generally has no problem with my rv tires.... :/ 

grover
5/1/18 3:00 p.m.

I've got two plans now I guess.  

1. call the local mechanic shop just down the road that has very good reviews, see what they think.  They do a lot of imports.  

2. see if I can rent a huge impact gun.  Depending on the price the shop gives me, I may upgrade my compressor.  

I'd rather spend money and have tools than just spend money.  

Thanks for the help y'all.  

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
5/1/18 3:42 p.m.

Torque multipliers are the only way human weaklings can actually torque things in excess of 300 lb ft (without unwise levels of exertion you wouldn't want to do for a career), they're common in working on large equipment. 

I like the mobile mechanic idea. Hell, im a mobile mechanic and i'd take that job.  The truck service is kind of the nuclear option since their road call fees are triple digits in price to my knowledge. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/1/18 4:17 p.m.
grover said:
Toyman01 said:

You need a Swench.

That thing is amazing.  But my impact generally has no problem with my rv tires.... :/ 

My IR impact won't touch these. These took a 3/4", 3' breaker bar with 290# jumping on the end. The Swench will break nuts to 800 lb ft of torque, and it will do it on the side of the road with one hand. 

grover
5/1/18 5:34 p.m.
Toyman01 said:
grover said:
Toyman01 said:

You need a Swench.

My IR impact won't touch these. These took a 3/4", 3' breaker bar with 290# jumping on the end. The Swench will break nuts to 800 lb ft of torque, and it will do it on the side of the road with one hand. 

Ok. I’ll look into them. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
5/1/18 5:44 p.m.

In reply to grover :

They are not cheap, but you might luck out and find one in an old bus for sale. laugh

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/1/18 5:47 p.m.

No kidding they're not cheap. I'm not a total cheapskate, but four digits for a ratchet is a bit painful. And it doesn't even come with a bus carrying case.

grover
5/1/18 5:53 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

I found some torque multipliers for about $200. That’s not a terrible price I suppose. A snap on version good for up to 1000lb was $250. 

java230
java230 UltraDork
5/1/18 7:51 p.m.

In reply to grover :

That one on Amazon was $60...not the cool ratchet version tho 

grover
5/1/18 8:16 p.m.

In reply to java230 :

at this point I'm not being too choosy.  

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/2/18 10:10 a.m.

when i did TB / WP on my '03 Ody, and again on my '10 Ody, i used a typical 1/2" breaker bar and an impact socket, put the handle of the bar against the subframe, and used the starter to break it loose.   No sweat.   And these were daily beaters in MI so if there was a chance of corrosion making things worse, these would have been as bad as it gets.   remember to remove the fuel pump relay so the engine doesn't start.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OJaa4bDRnibh5oRmj6sav7H8Ih24o0dAZ5JgvazqYbKuDrjJVXFRDre8ZJYRHQQZ