bigbrainonbrad
bigbrainonbrad New Reader
11/18/09 10:38 a.m.

While having the front end of my car torn apart to do bushings I replaced the torn and worn cv axles. All went as expected, no hiccups and straight forward as always. Over the few thousand miles I've put on the car since I am hearing a great deal of gear noise. I crawled under the car today and checked the tranny fluid which was ok, and then started fiddling with the axles. There was a great deal of play in all directions and there was space between the part of the cv joint that normally contacts the transmission itself. When replacing the axles the rings on the end came out with both of the axles so I know I don't have one of those floating around in there. Essentially the axles have become unseated and don't want to go back in completely. Short of tearing things apart and doing a reinstall any pointers. I have already tried banging on the end of the axle and at the base of it as well.

kb58
kb58 New Reader
11/18/09 5:58 p.m.

Replace the floating clips - should do it.

bigbrainonbrad
bigbrainonbrad New Reader
11/18/09 9:40 p.m.

Could you extrapolate on that. I assume that you are talking about the rings on the end of the axle that insert into the trannsmission? If that's the case I'll just swap them out at autozone as defective.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
11/19/09 4:37 a.m.

The cv joint should not touch the transmission. Sounds to me like you are trying to get the shaft to insert further than it actually goes. With the spring clip on the end of the shaft it should resist slipping in until the spring clip compresses. Then it will slide in until the spring clip comes out of the hole and pops open again. The shaft will then resist sliding back out.

With all that play, particularly side to side, it sounds like you may have a rather wallered out differential and transaxle housing, or axle shafts. Though some really do have a remarkable amount of slop.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uPhjJhSIXWZkQcsJTJ2xksJjycAf2LGPcjhkG9aWyGa5jSMd3jpcPM3YZ9H0hA2s