Crxpilot
Crxpilot Reader
10/22/19 8:22 p.m.

The Gambler time trial is coming to gravelly, dusty Buffalo Springs lake here in Lubbock, TX.  Here's a look at some of the course.  Seeing this, what vehicle should I scope out for a $500-$700 investment?  If all else fails, I can share seat time with a friend's RZR.  Any ideas?  I have no specifications beyond price, ready to run.

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/22/19 8:40 p.m.

Something rwd. P71, miata

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 SuperDork
10/22/19 10:17 p.m.

RX7 or RX8 maybe?

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
10/22/19 10:25 p.m.

I wanted to go to this when i saw it was in my home state of Texas. Then I realized it was still two states away. Other peoples' states, at least. About 2.5 New Jerseys. Maybe as many as 10 Rhode Islands from here. sad 

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
10/23/19 7:33 a.m.

Another vote for P71.  I think a Miata might be too fragile.  This is not rallycross, there will be jumps.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant UltraDork
10/23/19 8:40 a.m.

Lubbock?  Wait ... what?  

Hmmm ...

Let's see, who do I know with a hooptie ...

No, the Valiant's transmission won't be ready, and big sister's bug is needs even more ...

Work buddy's surplus HMMWV?  Hmmm ...

Site is short on rules.  Helmet required, but what kind/age?

Registration

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
10/23/19 8:43 a.m.

I kept clicking ahead because I didn't want to watch the entire video, but it mostly seemed smooth except for a few larger rocks that may be kicked up.  My biggest worry would be oil pan protection, but it seems like just about any car could handle the course.

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
10/23/19 9:04 a.m.

It's a pity that it is the same weekend as the Texas King of Gamblers. It will be at Hidden Falls near Austin. 

Plan on taking my stock Cherokee, third gambler for it. Hidden Falls is an offroad rock crawling park.

On your question,  I think p71 too. Mustang or Camaro. There's the option if xj or zj or ranger or s10.

At the price range, just find the best condition vehicle and run it. If it's low put a skid plate under it.

A lot of Cavaliers are run in gamblers. 

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
10/23/19 9:10 a.m.

In reply to slantvaliant :

I think that is all the rules. Your vehicle, your decision. Sign a waiver and run what you brung. 

At the gamblers I've been too they ask or check for a good battery hold down and a fire extinguisher. 

Any agile vehicle would be fun. 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
10/23/19 10:03 a.m.

How about a VW Bug?

Or just whatever sub-$1000 car on Craigslist looks most likely to stay running and hasn't been lowered.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
10/23/19 9:34 p.m.

4 cyl, 5spd Ranger 2wd with a Lincoln locker. Extra points for TIB front suspension.

AAZCD
AAZCD HalfDork
10/23/19 11:19 p.m.
MadScientistMatt said:

How about a VW Bug?

Or just whatever sub-$1000 car on Craigslist looks most likely to stay running and hasn't been lowered.

Agreed... I don't think the make and model matters as much as what's avaliable that you are comfortable working on. My 'Dung Beetle' could HooptieX.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/24/19 5:35 a.m.

Copart Murano Crosscabriolet

Prep: 

Tires

Take the doors off

Enjoy beer. 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
10/24/19 7:14 a.m.

Another thought... remember the Interstate 76 video game? IIRC, it's set just outside Lubbock - how about building a tribute car?

Crxpilot
Crxpilot Reader
10/30/19 12:24 p.m.

I'm seeing a 1992 Caprice wagon in my future.  Bone stock and needs tires/battery.  Is it worth it to throw some coil lift spacers under it or just run it, as-is, with the above mentioned skid plates?

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
10/30/19 9:15 p.m.

In reply to Crxpilot :

The 9c1 police and taxi package has springs and shocks that are an inch taller.  Meant to go over curbs etc. Also have thicker sway bars,  tighter steering box...

Wagons may actually have the same rear springs due to the extra weight if I remember correctly. 

Spacers could be a decent substitute. 

Make sure your bumpstops are in good shape. 

Had a '91 9c1 once upon a time, fun car.

jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo HalfDork
10/31/19 4:46 a.m.

cheap cherokee/explorer?

80s civic wagon 4WD thing?

sub 1k subi? outback/impreza/baha

cheap audi/volkswagon AWD?

pt cruiser GT turbo?

neon in almost any form?

mazda protoge?

almost anything you can tackweld a skidplate to...

-J0N

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
10/31/19 5:55 p.m.

The Caprice should do great!  I think a slight lift would help, but tires are key.  Get the largest all terrain or snow tires you can fit, even if it means using the sawzall to clearance the fenders a bit (or a lot)

There's going to be a Gambler 500 HooptieX at King of Hammers in February.  I want to go in the worst way but I just sold my Gambler rig last month. Time to build another!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Bhp6lvVWV9J4Aop2iTVlR0DYRaNphGqtSjGR0EOkOr7nclJj8OZFUX41ktdHrVJz