1 2 3
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/20/15 9:27 p.m.
SlickDizzy wrote: Sadly the previous owners crunched the passenger taillight rolling it out of storage but it looks like it can be straightened without too much work. http://smg.photobucket.com/user/SlickDizzy/library/

Did they let it roll into that nasty Ford bumper?

photo image.jpg2.jpg

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/20/15 10:01 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

They wouldn't admit to it, but that's my hunch. Luckily the damage is fixable with a day's work, it was a low speed impact.

Cleaned the car up a bit today and peeled off the sticker on the windshield along with the pinstripe tape. Thunderstorm was brewing so I didn't have much time to mess with it, but it's cleaning up pretty well. There are a lot of stubborn dead bugs that have been crusted on the front bumper for 6+ years though, need to find the right product to deal with that...then it's on to trying to make it run. Timing belt, tensioner and idler are going on before I even try to start it.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
4/21/15 7:29 a.m.

I take it you've seen the two other Renaults on Madison's and Wausau's Craigslist right now?

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/21/15 9:01 a.m.

I have wanted one of those ever since reading the C7D article mentioned earlier, very cool car.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
4/21/15 9:17 a.m.

While I'd probably try a restoration on it myself instead of trying to hop it up (its main value would be its uniqueness), the idea of a PRV V6 swap out of an Eagle Premier seems like it might be an amusing way to do an engine swap that keeps things in the family. And that engine does seem to have a few mods available.

PhilipA
PhilipA New Reader
4/27/15 7:58 p.m.

You'll have to do a bit of cross-referencing, but here's some part numbers for new parts that are OEM for the 2.0 GTA engine:

If you need to search by engine, the pulleys you need fit the F8Q engine. That's the European 1.9 diesel 8v as fitted to the 1992-1994 Clio, Master etc. Note the belt for this engine does not fit, it has 151 teeth.

GATES Part # K015305XS is the pulley kit on Rock Auto

GATES Part # 5130XS is the timing belt on Rock Auto

HTH

--Phil

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
4/27/15 11:58 p.m.

I can't wait to see it all detailed out. I remember a chick in my then-best friend's neighborhood had one of these (I know it was a GTA, can't remember if it was a droptop) in white--back around 1985/86.

Count me in on the ones saying to get it running and leave it alone. There are VERY few examples of those in existence--especially in that condition, with that mileage.

That said, it would look nice lowered a bit. The 15's were pretty damn cutting edge for a car that size at that time.

PhilipA
PhilipA New Reader
4/28/15 4:20 p.m.

Oh, and a word of warning- don't touch the bodykit or wheel-well plastics.

The plastic deteriorates with age and exposure to the air (Go Renault!) and generally has the structural strength of a Hershey's bar that's been left in a warm room. It fractures and crumbles in the same way and the ground effects kit, especially the pieces behind the rear wheels are like hen's teeth. Touch it and it'll break. Don't ask me how I know.

--Phil

frenchyd
frenchyd New Reader
4/28/15 5:56 p.m.

In reply to SlickDizzy: I have to ask, what do you want the Renault to do that it doesn't do now?
I mean accelerate faster? How much faster will satisfy you? What are you willing to trade off? Brake faster? Corner Faster? What sort of guy are you? I mean a parts swapper, a serious gear head, A racer? Are you good at fabrication? Will little hurdles cause you to give up or are you willing to whatever it takes to achieve your goals?

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/2/15 6:40 p.m.

Dragging this one out of the archives. Just found this on BringaTrailer:

FSP GTA

SlickDizzy needs this to complement his Renault collection: one stock, one modified, plus spares and stuff...

ssswitch
ssswitch Reader
7/2/15 11:18 p.m.

How is this nice little Frenchmobile doing?

Adals
Adals
7/24/18 3:40 p.m.

Very nice r9 alliance!

In some countries of europe renault 11-9 were built with a 1.4turbo engine, 120bhp

That would be perfect for yours...

I have one and 2 renault 5 gt turbo.

Greetings from Canary Islands, Tenerife

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DmUdmq5hIdiKR1mhmVLumB9W2HCrSbcukUu1H98SdtbAthhXTdWjfyvHc2CDEsbO