David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/11/09 4:20 p.m.

If we told you that pouring a $13 oil additive into your engine would give you five additional horsepower, would you believe us? Neither would we.

For years, all of us in the automotive world have been inundated with pitches from oil additive companies. The claims promise gains that any car owner would desire: "less engine wear," "more horsepower," and …

Read the rest of the story

quinntony75
quinntony75 None
11/1/09 8:58 a.m.

Yeah, I have added oil supplements. One of them I actually liked was from Switzterland. Its called Metalyz. I purchased it from BAC in Daytona Beach and have not been able to get another bottle (new owner and has not ordered any). It's not horsepower in a bottle, its more like engine restore. And for an added bonus, the company put its ingredients on the bottle. Yaaay! I am not by the way an oil additive savvy person. I use whats recommended and use the engine restore once a year. Only because my car has 250k+ miles on it.

Mark_S
Mark_S New Reader
2/4/11 6:21 p.m.

I used Slick 50 in its earlier days on my motorcycle. Guzzi had a reputation at the time of eating its rocker pivot pins to the extent that it was SOP to rotate the pins every other valve adjustment to spread the wear out on both sides. Somewhere about 20 thousand miles I replaced the pins, add Slick 50 and started using Lubrication Engineers oil in the bike. At about 60 thousand miles I tore the heads down for a rebuild (mostly valve seats) and the pins still have the hone marks and no noticeable wear (can't feel with finger nail) Now that Quaker State owns them I no longer use it That was then, this is now.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AuRY8wJaqPyktbxWxwBoiH6wcAaxWGsQJZJw2tQX4sEQLG9sNfsjglWOC4JimhcO