David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/17/20 5:29 p.m.

The Modena Spyder used as the hero car in Ferris Bueller will cross the Barrett-Jackson auction block tomorrow. No reserve. Too late for me to book a flight?

The catalog mentions 16-inch wheels. Was the car so equipped during filming? 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/17/20 5:30 p.m.

Still the best scene in the movie:

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/17/20 6:54 p.m.

The car is so choice.

If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/17/20 7:11 p.m.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/17/20 7:18 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Still the best scene in the movie:

Aside from the jokey lines at the end, it's pretty profound, for those of us raised in the American how-dare-they-get-away-with-that culture.  It is kind of an introspection on the inside-the-window of "some people aren't happy unless they aren't happy".

Also, for some dang reason, having watched Serenity twice last night (insomnia...) makes me think that Nathan Fillion was trying to channel young Charlie Sheen.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/17/20 7:22 p.m.

Agreed. I'd forgotted about that bit.

Plus Jennifer Grey really is the queen of the withering stare.

As for the "Ferrari" - no pictures of the MGB taillights? For some reason I thought it was a modified MGB.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
1/17/20 7:23 p.m.

if you read the auction story they "restored" if with a lot of modern parts , 

why do you need a GPS speedo in a car like this ?

one  sold for $407,000 less than 18 months ago

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/ferris-buellers-day-off-car-auction-sold-how-much/175669/

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/18/20 3:19 a.m.

Instead of doing the normal auctioneering speed talk, the auctioneer should just look at the crowd and go “anyone? anyone?”  

Jumper K Balls (Trent)
Jumper K Balls (Trent) PowerDork
1/18/20 6:52 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

As for the "Ferrari" - no pictures of the MGB taillights? For some reason I thought it was a modified MGB.

Lucas tail lights are totally accurate.  Ferrari was always dipping into the Fiat and Lancia parts bins for interior bits and the Lucss bins for wipers and often tail lights. 

Those MGB lights were also used on several rolls Royce and iirc started out as a Jag part

A large part of restoring a Ferrari 250 is trying  to remember what car they took which part from.

Rodan
Rodan Dork
1/18/20 7:03 a.m.

In reply to A 401 CJ :

We were watching the movie a couple of months ago, and our dog became totally fascinated with Ben Stein... cheeky

It reminded me of the old commercials... "When EF Hutton talks..."

I'm interested to see what the "California" goes for...

Keith Tanner
1/18/20 9:06 a.m.
Jumper K Balls (Trent) said:
Keith Tanner said:

Lucas tail lights are totally accurate.  Ferrari was always dipping into the Fiat and Lancia parts bins for interior bits and the Lucss bins for wipers and often tail lights. 

Those MGB lights were also used on several rolls Royce and iirc started out as a Jag part

A large part of restoring a Ferrari 250 is trying  to remember what car they took which part from.

I’ve always felt that having a semi-standardized collection of lights makes a lot more sense than changing them out frequently for stylistic reasons. That’s just hostile to restorations - and even maintenance of newer cars, like the $2k price tag on junkyard XLR tails. It’s not like the cars of that era suffered stylistically for it! A Ferrari 250 GTO shares its taillights with a Land Rover and they both look right *

I thought the real 250 California had round tails for some reason, but of course Jumper is right about this.

More history on this actual car. This will be the second time across the block in a bit over a, failed to meet reserve in 2018 and the current owner bought it in 2010.

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2019/07/30/if-you-have-the-means-i-highly-recommend-picking-one-up-ferris-bueller-modena-spyder-heads-to-auction/

* it may be an Italian version of that Lucas design, I don’t know. But the point is that it’s close enough

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/18/20 9:42 a.m.

Did I read correctly that the current owner didn't sell it for a bid of $407,000 a couple of years ago and has spent more money on it since then?  Seriously I just don't see that value for a replica no matter how nice or famous. 

while this price isn't even close to the top end of the collector car market, the top end has been softening recently so I can see it failing to sell again unless he's revised his target price. 

how much for the black Miami Vice Daytona then?

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
1/18/20 9:47 a.m.

the Miami Vice Daytona  and the Modena were  both built  in the San Diego area , 

must be something in the water down there !

Keith Tanner
1/18/20 10:06 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

Did I read correctly that the current owner didn't sell it for a bid of $407,000 a couple of years ago and has spent more money on it since then?  Seriously I just don't see that value for a replica no matter how nice or famous. 

while this price isn't even close to the top end of the collector car market, the top end has been softening recently so I can see it failing to sell again unless he's revised his target price. 

how much for the black Miami Vice Daytona then?

The Hargerty article says it failed to sell in the $200k range. It’s not clear.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
E3S7DH2KysuOwkuR7SraEsuLsQg33U701WO8a1tC3pxtwcOwZT1Thb4AgA8kIVW0